Votes: 64 86.5%
  • no

Votes: 10 13.5%

• Total voters

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
I love that the spirit that comes out of them is a little octopi as well just like in the single player mode. It's glorious. I wonder if they will use the octoling's voice clips as well because I believe they were a little different as well.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I love that the spirit that comes out of them is a little octopi as well just like in the single player mode. It's glorious. I wonder if they will use the octoling's voice clips as well because I believe they were a little different as well.
Well, they have different voices for the Inkling girl and Inkling boy, so the Octoling should use a different voice from them as well.
And do they really have little octopus-spirits when they get splatted? I never noticed, but that's quite the attention to detail, giving them a unique ghost.
Also, that video. Things are looking up for playable Octoling if it's that easy to play as one online and the other team can see the Octoling too.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Well, they have different voices for the Inkling girl and Inkling boy, so the Octoling should use a different voice from them as well.
And do they really have little octopus-spirits when they get splatted? I never noticed, but that's quite the attention to detail, giving them a unique ghost.
Also, that video. Things are looking up for playable Octoling if it's that easy to play as one online and the other team can see the Octoling too.
Plus two of the leveling prizes are octoling based... Its looking really good for them. We know another update will come with rainmaker mode and we still have a few more stages to come so it is just a waiting game to see if Nintendo delivers.

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
So what changed with the model in the leak?

Actually if the modder is still here can you try something? Someone arguing against octolings possibly being playable on youtube said that the other person only saw the octoling as that because the person modding the game was hosting it in a private match, so it wasnt going through nintendos server and was showing what was on the hosts system

Is that how it works? And could the unmodded guy try hosting to see if it still shows up as an octoling?

Last edited:

NWPlayer123

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
NWPlayer1234
So what changed with the model in the leak?

Actually if the modder is still here can you try something? Someone arguing against octolings possibly being playable on youtube said that the other person only saw the octoling as that because the person modding the game was hosting it in a private match, so it wasnt going through nintendos server and was showing what was on the hosts system

Is that how it works? And could the unmodded guy try hosting to see if it still shows up as an octoling?
They updated the structure and like how it works and bones and such, as well as added the faces needed to work for when you lose online.

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
They updated the structure and like how it works and bones and such, as well as added the faces needed to work for when you lose online.
Hmm I see. Thanks. This really seems all but confirmed at this point that they are going to be playable. That's nice to hear. Spent like half the day arguing with someone on youtube about this and I needed some good news lol

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Hmm I see. Thanks. This really seems all but confirmed at this point that they are going to be playable. That's nice to hear. Spent like half the day arguing with someone on youtube about this and I needed some good news lol
I don't think you should worry too much about what happens on Youtube. Someone was arguing a flyover of camp triggerfish was fake because there was no middle section. Low and behold 3 days later it comes out as shown.

StayPuft

Pro Squid
NNID
cellularSP
I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of the Octolings. I'm still not sure if I'm convinced that they'll be playable, but the Splatoon developers are definitely planning something involving them.

If they do end up playable, I do worry that everyone will just use Octolings and the Inklings will be forgotten.

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
I don't think you should worry too much about what happens on Youtube. Someone was arguing a flyover of camp triggerfish was fake because there was no middle section. Low and behold 3 days later it comes out as shown.
True. I wonder if it will be like when data for Ryu showed up in a Smash Bros update and some people swore up and down that Nintendo just added unused data they didnt have permission to use in for no reason. lol.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I only wonder if Nintendo plans to find a way to make the hats not clip horribly.
Or maybe they'll add in a pants shop, but as a just-for-Octolings thing.

I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of the Octolings. I'm still not sure if I'm convinced that they'll be playable, but the Splatoon developers are definitely planning something involving them.

If they do end up playable, I do worry that everyone will just use Octolings and the Inklings will be forgotten.
Yeah, no way they'd add in stuff to make Octolings work online if they didn't have some plans to do something with Octolings online.

And yeah, if they're released for regular multiplayer there'll be a few days of servers swarming with Octolings, but after that some people will switch back to Inklings.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Well we have to deal with that then.

Restricting the use of Octolings in any way, would be a jerk-move in my eyes.
Especially if it is done, just to force people to keep using Inklings, in order to keep their popularity up.
But that's not how it works.

If people prefer Octolings, then let them play as them freely.
And if you prefer Inklings, then you have the freedom to stick to them.

What exactly is the problem with online being swarmed with playable Octolings anyways?
They have the exact same moves. They are in no way superior or inferior to Inklings.
So yeah, what exactly is your problem?

Or is it really just your fear of Inklings being less popular, because you prefer Inklings?
Well again, you have to accept it.
You can't force people to play in a way, they don't want to play.
Each and every person has the freedom to make their own decisions, on what they themselves enjoy.
And if they choose Octoling, if that option was a thing, then so be it.

StayPuft

Pro Squid
NNID
cellularSP
Well we have to deal with that then.

Restricting the use of Octolings in any way, would be a jerk-move in my eyes.
Especially if it is done, just to force people to keep using Inklings, in order to keep their popularity up.
But that's not how it works.

If people prefer Octolings, then let them play as them freely.
And if you prefer Inklings, then you have the freedom to stick to them.

What exactly is the problem with online being swarmed with playable Octolings anyways?
They have the exact same moves. They are in no way superior or inferior to Inklings.
So yeah, what exactly is your problem?

Or is it really just your fear of Inklings being less popular, because you prefer Inklings?
Well again, you have to accept it.
You can't force people to play in a way, they don't want to play.
Each and every person has the freedom to make their own decisions, on what they themselves enjoy.
And if they choose Octoling, if that option was a thing, then so be it.
I never mentioned anything about restricting the use of the octolings or trying to force inklings upon players.
My main "concern" (I suppose you could call it that) is that if octolings do indeed become more used online than inklings, there will be less variety online. I know that is stupid, since we ONLY have inklings right now, but I do have a feeling that there will be even less variety if everyone just uses the octolings, and there's barely any inklings.

It'll also make me feel less inclined to use them, since I'm dumb and I like to use things that others don't usually use, which sucks because I am a fan of the octolings, but I'll feel inclined not to use them if everyone else is (this is a reason why Im using a male inkling as opposed to a female one)

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Again, what is the problem?

You really can't speak of variety with just two characters.
A third character would up it a little. not cause it to go down.

The variety comes from the gear they wear, not from their gender or race.

I mean with the same argument, you could ban Luigi from Mario games, since he could overshadow Mario.
(Which he does by now)

I can only give the advice: "Stop overthinking every little thing."
Pick what you like and have fun. Period.
There is nothing else to it.

CodyMKW

Pro Squid
NNID
CodyMKW
Switch Friend Code
SW-2549-4631-6600
when Octolings are playable in the future I wonder what would happen if you enter Octo Valley from the plaza as one maybe you get a new story with new levels :scared:

Dreamy Luigi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DreamyZack
If Octolings become playable I feel like a new story mode, or something, is a must. I still think it'd be weird but I guess more tentacle-styles are a good thing

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Actually I would be fine, if it would be the same thing.
Cuttlefish treating you exactly the same as an Inkling, even though you are an Octoling...
I dunno, I'd find it funny. :D

Although they could make it, so that you are automatically turned into an inkling, as soon as you enter Octo Valley.
Or even lock it altogether, for as long as you are octo.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
when Octolings are playable in the future I wonder what would happen if you enter Octo Valley from the plaza as one maybe you get a new story with new levels :scared:
If Octolings become playable I feel like a new story mode, or something, is a must. I still think it'd be weird but I guess more tentacle-styles are a good thing
I'm with you on both of these. Octo Valley was quite fun, and I want to see what they can do with it now. Maybe give us new weapons to use in those levels (possibly tailored to that weapon's attributes, if that's possible), or maybe just levels where you have to use the Octobrush instead of the Octoshot, or maybe challenge levels? Here's hoping for something single-player-y coming with the Octolings.

EDIT:
Actually I would be fine, if it would be the same thing.
Cuttlefish treating you exactly the same as an Inkling, even though you are an Octoling...
I dunno, I'd find it funny. :D

Although they could make it, so that you are automatically turned into an inkling, as soon as you enter Octo Valley.
Or even lock it altogether, for as long as you are octo.
That would be kinda funny. Especially if DJ Octavio had new boss dialogue if you fought him as an Octoling. I'd prefer something new, but I'd understand if they didn't do anything besides give us playable Octoling.

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
Im expecting it to be honest. The octoshot replica is a judd reward but it follows the naming scheme of weapons and gear used in the story mode. There's an octobrush but it's not called a replica so I think at least an octoling story is a definite

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Honestly, guys. I think you have your head a little too high in the clouds.
A whole new Story Mode isn't very realistic. If at all.

Online is the main selling point of this game, while storymode only served more as a tutorial to get you ready for online.
And they are doing everything now, to expand online.
I can't imagine them working on an expansion for story mode, while they flood us with all those online updates.

I can only see Dialogue changes, if you enter Octo Valley as Octoling, if you are even able to as Octoling.
Everything else is just dreaming at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom