• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

"Seabagging" your opponent

Cherry

Inkster Jr.
I'm sorry about your experience with sexual assault, and I hope you're doing alright...but I don't think this is as big a deal as you make it out to be. You said it yourself, the animation looks comical. I don't think anybody's first thought is that it's sexual. It's an animation that looks funny when done really fast over and over again. People do it all the time in other games. The only way one could perceive sexual undertones is if someone told them beforehand, and even then, I doubt it's used in a sexual way.
First of all, I appreciate yoir sensitivity about all that! I have actually made a full recovery from the PTSD I developed as a result of the attack.

...You're twisting my words. I said it looks undeniably sexual when spammed over a corpse. XD

But anyway, squidbagging is the Splatoon version of Teabagging (notice the -bagging suffix...)
If you google the origins of teabagging, you'll see that it was created in Halo as a way to sexually humiliate a player. There are videos on youtube that clearly demonstrate the violent and degrading intentions of teabaggers.

So, even if you think it's funny, it does come with all these connotations. Like it or not, it IS associated with sexual humiliation for a lot of people.

I'm not sure why people are accusing me of taking this too seriously. o_O Sexual violence... is serious. It ruins lives. 1 in 3 women are sexually abused in their lifetime. Why are we promoting this behavior in a game marketed toward children? It's completely unnecessary. If you must rub your victory in your opponent's face, twirl the control stick around or something. Be creative. Do the booyah command (the opponent can see it after you splat them).

Please see the bigger picture, here. The possible damage done to the victims of squidbagging outweighs the benefits the squidbagger receives.

Sdit: so many typos, sorry. On mobile.

Last edited:

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
First of all, I appreciate yoir sensitivity about all that! I have actualy made a full recovery from the PTSD I developed as a result of the attack.

...You're twisting my words. I said it looks undeniably sexual when spammed over a corpse. XD

But anyway, squidbagging is the Splatoom version of Teabagging (notice the -bagging suffix...)
If you google the origins of teabagging, you'll see that it was created in Halo as a way to sexually humiliate a player. There are videos on youtube that clearly demomstrate the violent and degrading intentions of teabaggers.

So, even if you think it's funny, it does come with all these connotations. Like it or not, it IS associated with sexual humiliation for a lot of people.

I'm not sure why people are accusing me of takig this too serioisly. o_O Sexual violence... is serious. It ruins lives. 1 in 3 women are sexually abused in their lifetime. Why are we promoting this behavior in a game marketed toward children? It's completely unnecessary. If you must rub your victory in your opponent's face, twirl the control stick around or something. Be creative. Do the booyah command (the opponent can see it after you splat them).

Please see the bigger picture, here. The possible damage done to the victims of squidbagging outweighs the benefits the squidbagger receives.
What's worse is that I heard a COD game actually gives rewards for teabagging, which I heard got a negative reaction from reviewers.

dapperlace

Pro Squid
seabagging confirmed
I'd be more impressed if the opposing team's levels were more on line with theirs. The top member on the other team is at half their level. People under level 10 tend to be really easy to stomp, on top of that..

I wouldn't really squidbag anyone, either, unless I we somehow ended up starting a party and forgot the match altogether. You know, those ones where everyone just spams nice/booyah and just transforms at 50 squids per second.

Pteropine

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RennyKlavan
I ONLY do it if the person has repeatedly killed me... or if it's like the final 5 seconds of a match lmao I'm so mean! Sorry omg!!!

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
First of all, I appreciate yoir sensitivity about all that! I have actually made a full recovery from the PTSD I developed as a result of the attack.

But anyway, squidbagging is the Splatoon version of Teabagging (notice the -bagging suffix...)
If you google the origins of teabagging, you'll see that it was created in Halo as a way to sexually humiliate a player. There are videos on youtube that clearly demonstrate the violent and degrading intentions of teabaggers.

I'm not sure why people are accusing me of taking this too seriously. o_O Sexual violence... is serious. It ruins lives. 1 in 3 women are sexually abused in their lifetime. Why are we promoting this behavior in a game marketed toward children? It's completely unnecessary. If you must rub your victory in your opponent's face, twirl the control stick around or something. Be creative. Do the booyah command (the opponent can see it after you splat them).

I'm sorry for not replying the first time around i saw this topic, because i don't really know how to properly reply on topics like these w/o coming off as insensitive. I'll go ahead and say that abuse of that kind is horrible and i wouldn't want that to happen to anyone.

But you'll have to keep in mind you can't control what kind of randos you'll meet online. Some people don't even see it as squidbagging and more as a creative/salty insult to someone, as i've mentioned in a previous topic (that got locked). Unlike examples of teabagging in different shooters, in Splatoon your body explodes upon splatting leaving you nothing to get bagged on nor are inklings even able to crouch. To further drive the point home, your inkling ghost even floats away and heads back to spawn before this can even happen. In fact the only thing that ever made me realise that it's about teabagging is just the name itself the community gave it. It's not as undeniably sexual as you think it is, it just looks dumb.
I'd also like to repeat that i've only been 'bagged' twice in my entire time i've played Splatoon, both on Turf War. It's a very rare occurrence.

If it really a big issue you can try to stack the ability Quick Respawn. QR decreases the time watching the killcam up to 4 seconds, giving you only 2 seconds to watch your opponent. While it isn't the greatest ability to have if you find that helpful in dealing with this issue i'd say use it. Good luck!

Cherry

Inkster Jr.
I'm sorry for not replying the first time around i saw this topic, because i don't really know how to properly reply on topics like these w/o coming off as insensitive. I'll go ahead and say that abuse of that kind is horrible and i wouldn't want that to happen to anyone.

But you'll have to keep in mind you can't control what kind of randos you'll meet online. Some people don't even see it as squidbagging and more as a creative/salty insult to someone, as i've mentioned in a previous topic (that got locked). Unlike examples of teabagging in different shooters, in Splatoon your body explodes upon splatting leaving you nothing to get bagged on nor are inklings even able to crouch. To further drive the point home, your inkling ghost even floats away and heads back to spawn before this can even happen. In fact the only thing that ever made me realise that it's about teabagging is just the name itself the community gave it. It's not as undeniably sexual as you think it is, it just looks dumb.
I'd also like to repeat that i've only been 'bagged' twice in my entire time i've played Splatoon, both on Turf War. It's a very rare occurrence.

If it really a big issue you can try to stack the ability Quick Respawn. QR decreases the time watching the killcam up to 4 seconds, giving you only 2 seconds to watch your opponent. While it isn't the greatest ability to have if you find that helpful in dealing with this issue i'd say use it. Good luck!
True, you can't control what anyone does. That doesn't mean we shouldn't start a dialogue about it and educate people as to why it's problematic and why they shouldn't participate.

Even if there's no visible corpse, the act of teabagging in video games inherently implies humping a corpse.

In real life, ignoring misogyny and just "dealing with it like a big-girl" is victim-blaming and only buries the issue.

Guys, I could argue about this all day, but I think I'm done with this thread. At the end of the day, if you're offended by my opinion, it doesn't mean you're a crappy person. It just means you're having your privileged checked. If you want to continue to hump corpses, have fun I guess, but remember it's a kid's game. .____. And your actions affect other people.

Last edited:

Crazy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
AjninYzarc

It was not created in Halo, its been out in games long before Halo. I do not like it though.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
True, you can't control what anyone does. That doesn't mean we shouldn't start a dialogue about it and educate people as to why it's problematic and why they shouldn't participate.

Even if there's no visible corpse, the act of teabagging in video games inherently implies humping a corpse.

In real life, ignoring misogyny and just "dealing with it like a big-girl" is victim-blaming and only buries the issue.

Guys, I could argue about this all day, but I think I'm done with this thread. At the end of the day, if you're offended by my opinion, it doesn't mean you're a crappy person. It just means you're having your privileged checked. If you want to continue to hump corpses, have fun I guess, but remember it's a kid's game. .____. And your actions affect other people.
As a bit of a side note- Sexual assault isn't tied specifically to one gender even though it is undoubtedly more common for females.
I think Splatoon's focus being less on killing, calling them 'splats,' and having the equipment fly off as the body disappears helps show that the inklings are not dying and it is all for sport. The connotations of the act are the only thing that ties the act to anything negative, so I don't think the devs could have done anything. I am glad that as a community we don't have many who do this whether it be because it is a waste of time, stupid, offensive, etc. I probably have ran into 2-4 for every million squid coins I gather- you can't control what others do, but it isn't bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom