• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Sepia Go! A Chinese Splatoon-ripoff

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar
Well I guess we can add this to the ever growing list of Chinese rip-off products. Let’s see, there’s:

Rip-Off Real Brand

Wu Mart Walmart

Crust toothpaste Crest toothpaste

BuckStarr Coffee Starbucks Coffee

Pizza Huh Pizza Hut

oMC McDnoald’s McDonald’s

PolyStation PlayStation

HiPhone IPhone
And the list goes on and on forever. My personal favorite is “Unbelievable This is Not Butter“ which is a rip-off of “I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter”. Really the only way the new Splatoon rip-off could have been better is if was only playable on the “WiWi”, which is the rip-off of the “Wii”. Anyway, for those of you who would like some pictures to go with the above mentioned rip-off brands:

http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/poorest-list/top-15-absolutely-hilarious-chinese-knock-offs/
Lols i remember during tje 08 olympics a restaurant wanted to appeal to an English speaking crowd so it changed its name to "translate server error" they didnt know their name failed to translate.

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
Here's what I've gathered about the game based on various videos I've seen...

• Chargers sound like Star Wars lasers
  • Single player levels are just of sections of one level only split up
  • Bubblers don't protect against Killer Wails
  • Every single weapon has Splat Bombs as its sub
  • EVERYTHING IS STUPID EXPENSIVE!!! For example, the pilot goggles in the game went for 25500 coins. In the actual game, those go for 9,800 coins
Is it weird to say there are a couple things I like about it? I like how the characters are shown on the top of the screen instead of being represented by squid icons (Though they don't change based on who's splatted and still kicking =/). I also like how the icons on the top right of the screen spin when you get your special. Still, it's kinda bad... and slow when think about it. It takes a good minute to lay a large amount of ink down anywhere with 4 people when in the original a single person could do that in a good 10-15 seconds (well, it depends on the weapon =/).

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar
whats sad is if this supports online play and nintendo stops supporting it, ill probably get a copy

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
It really goes beyond being a clone. It's clear it's purely an asset rip right from the Splatoon disc. It's more than cloned immitation, it's a flat out theft of the game assets used in a very very rudimentary engine.

BUT...it's China. And this is what China has been reduced to. Once one of the greatest civilizations mankind has ever known with absolute marvels of achievement is now most famous for crude copies and can automatically be assumed to steal any designs they gain access to, with governmental backing no less! There are slow grinding gears that keep trying to clean this sort of thing up and get on board with the rest of the world with copyright...but there's too much resistance from the top down. It'll happen...someday...but it's going to be very slow.

Copyright has no meaning in China at present. It exists to protect Chinese companies from other Chinese companies, and is most often used to protect government favored Chinese companies from any other Chinese company. But foreign content has no rights, effectively. And no foreign entity can stop them from producing their copies so they don't care, unless they're trying to get it on the market outside China, then they start to care. China is the predominant reason region locking and DVD/Blu-Ray "Regions" exist to begin with. It's assumed all content there will be pirated probably before it's released, so it's boxed into its own region so they don't flood other markets with $1 copies. They're not the only big offender, but they're the biggest. Anything involving IP rights and China deserves nothing more than an eye roll. There's a reason nobody's eager to sell consoles there after they lifted the ban. Not least of which: To sell a console there it has to be made there, and "approved" (meaning you have to give them the designs and content rights which they'll just clone.)

I wonder if the inkzooka hitbox at least works better? :P

Award

omg
do they still look like callie and marie?
LOL, nah I just made that up. But it seems fitting :)

I doubt they have Squid Sisters in there, if only because that doesn't contribute to the play and it's pretty clear they're aiming for a bare bones minimal capabilities in a barely playable game. Personality isn't its strong suit beyond what's implied by the stolen assets :P

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
LOL, nah I just made that up. But it seems fitting :)

I doubt they have Squid Sisters in there, if only because that doesn't contribute to the play and it's pretty clear they're aiming for a bare bones minimal capabilities in a barely playable game. Personality isn't its strong suit beyond what's implied by the stolen assets :p
Damn that's sad. I wanted to see the "stolen asset" sisters, haha.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!

Yep, no squid sisters there. Guess they wanted no part of the bootleg, haha. [source]
That being said they even have their own little bootleg "story mode".

I'm curious what else they have in this ripoff.

Award

Makes me wonder if theyre going to start having "splatfests" too haha
Centrally managed, scheduled fun for everyone? It sounds distressingly appropriate. Please tell me they have it and it's called "Festival of the Splat" Bluuh, my body cloths are ready.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom