Serious Splattercolor Screen Discussion

Deepsink

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5185-1960-7222
Its unhealthy game design asides from the sensory issue problem, blocks your own teams vision and yours, not to mention its just not good outside of that? You can walk through for 30 damage and be just fine. It needs major adjustments

Power

Inkling Commander
Its unhealthy game design asides from the sensory issue problem, blocks your own teams vision and yours, not to mention its just not good outside of that? You can walk through for 30 damage and be just fine. It needs major adjustments
I agree. the special blocking vision for both teams barely helps you. What adjustments would you make?

Deepsink

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5185-1960-7222
I agree. the special blocking vision for both teams barely helps you. What adjustments would you make?
Hmm Id make it so all enemies behind it are highlighted and make it a shield that blocks bombs

mossyquartz

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6391-8464-6805
I don't know why it created such a debate in the first place tbh. Yeah it was an accessibility concern before but it's not like anyone really plays it now, at least not enough to create so much drama. Even in Anarchy, it's quite rare to see Screen weapons

Oliy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
OliyTheCreepr
Switch Friend Code
SW-0716-3261-4135
The visual/audio noise is like all it has going for it so it'll never be accessible. It would need a complete overhaul to give it a custom mist effect or knockback or mute all game audio or something to just deal with those aspects of it. But even without that, how much it blocks still makes it actively annoying to be on the same team with. No clue what the devs were thinking trying to put it in a game with such a wide reach.

Opt-in opt-out makes the most sense for tournaments, but it's still not a perfect system. Counterpicking teams by opting out of screen should never be a strategy people employ, but if they don't use screen and go against a player who is good with a screen weapon it's something they can do. It's rough.

But ideally just replace it with a slightly reworked bubble blower tbh

Xaer Blight

Inkster Jr.
In my opinion the special is quite flawed. The obvious reason being the sensory issues, but I believe that's been discussed about enough recently. However, I do believe the special itself is quite strange. It is one of very few specials that has value in only one game state, that being when you are in advantage and scoring. Any other time and you are making it just as hard for your team as you are for the enemies. The special has little effect on enemies hit by it, outside of sensory issues of course, allowing them to simply ignore it. Even if they don't ignore it they likely resort to bomb spam through it.

With all that said, here's what I would change:
1. Remove the audio and color change effects.
2. Increase visibility for the user's team by increasing its transparency.
3. Increase the paint left behind by the screen's movement by ~33%, making it harder to ignore what could be lurking on the other side of the screen. This value could be changed for balance purposes, merely my suggestion.
4. Bombs thrown through the screen have their paint reduced by ~10%. This would be to lessen the effects of bomb spam while not directly lowering the damage of bombs. The enemy team can still throw bombs through and get kills, while the user's team will not be as stalled out by enemy bombs.

While I doubt any of these changes would ever happen, I feel it would lead to a somewhat healthier special that doesn't cause harm to players.

seacreatursaige

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-8533-8559-3495
The special feels… undercooked. The concept is interesting but not fully developed. If I had a say:

1st. Rework the audio, thats the main issue I’ve seen raised post-patch. A simple muffling effect would do just fine I believe, as opposed to the scratching affect it currently has.

2. you can’t see thru it easily with the screen on your team. It simply needs to become visually translucent to teammates from a further distance.

3. Make it paint better. Other than the initial line where the screen lands the paint is pathetic. It shouldn’t be Tent levels but continuous lines is a must.

4. Buffing the instant 30 dmg is… uncreative instead lets add a new aspect to the special maybe? Shooting through the screen could give a bubble blower-like affect, maybe emitting bubbles out or pulsating some sort of AOE out so the special is a more present threat. Alternatively it could repel enemy bombs somewhat while not affecting main weapons

I think screen needed way more time in the development oven but the concept can go a long way

TBob408

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-5648-5506-6493
I agree with most takes here, but I think the special blocking your tms vision is more an execution issue than anything. its like smokes in cs or val, its supposed to split the enemies so you're taking 2/3v1s at an advantage. that being said, its not really on any good weapons/kits so its not like it'll see serious competitive testing anyways. i think it has potential to be one of the best, most skillful, passive specials in the game.

TBob408

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-5648-5506-6493
this would be tremendously busted imo
2. you can’t see thru it easily with the screen on your team. It simply needs to become visually translucent to teammates from a further distance.

Joy

Data Nerd
Premium
NNID
joythegreat
I don’t mean to invalidate people’s experience, I absolutely believe it has accessibility issues, but it’s quite odd to me that Japanese players don’t really report issues regarding screen. Does anyone know why there’s such a stark discrepancy? There was the one Twitter post with like three or four screenshots, but radio silence ever since. Most I’ve found is people noting that it’s a bad special, nothing really about accessibility.

Part of me wonders if that’s why the special was released in this state, they legitimately might not have felt it was as big of an effect as it ended up being. Or if it’s one of those cultural things like this:

Tldw, Japanese websites are very information dense because they process information in a holistic rather than piecemeal way. I wonder if that transfers to the special as well.

LegoSquirrel

Inkling
NNID
Soveliss
I can't help but wonder if it might be more helpful if it was smaller
Like maybe halve the width but you get two of them?
Then it's still as wide as most chokepoints in the game, but isn't blocking visibility across the entire stage - and you can still layer or offset them if you do want to block everyone's visiblity everywhere for some reason
Beyond that, the more I think about it, the more I try to turn it into tent shield but it's a special... and that's not gonna happen.

Honestly I think the idea of the audio and color effects mimicking the effects of walking into a tv in many media forms is really cool, but it just isn't helpful or fun or healthy for people or gameplay in basically any way, so I'd agree with either removing it or severely reworking it - maybe a light sepia filter and audio is turned off for a few seconds? I might miss that aspect being completely removed, but I can't say I'd miss it at all in it's current state.

seacreatursaige

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-8533-8559-3495
this would be tremendously busted imo
Depends on the distance (which my point is admittedly vague on) atm it barely becomes translucent while like in the screen. That part just needs a small adjustment. Sensors kinda invalidate the hiding aspect of screen so I don’t think it’d be all that busted

Funky_Eevee

Full Squid
I don't know why it created such a debate in the first place tbh. Yeah it was an accessibility concern before but it's not like anyone really plays it now, at least not enough to create so much drama. Even in Anarchy, it's quite rare to see Screen weapons
Not many people play it now because its only on 2 weapons, and one of them is undercover. As soon as Nintendo starts adding screen to more weapons, (52, naut, flingza, squiffer, eliter, bamboo, explo, dread, hydra, edit, glooga, and range all have a chance of getting it) more people will start to pick it up.

Setu

I'll give my accessibility opinion and my opinion of it as a concept.

For accessibility, its definitely not great since it changes from such vibrant colors into gray scale which is quite a stark difference, and the audio adds to that with how unpleasant it is. I know it triggers migraines for a good chunk of people, and I'm not sure what potential conditions/disorders it could still be affecting.

I've actually really loved the concept that the screen brought to the game. Obscuring vision has always brought a really fun element into fps and tps games. While it may be used at bad times occasionally, I think it could be really strong if used at the right times within a game(going into a number disadvantage and realizing they will push your team). Also learning potential line ups and spot could be a really fun way to up the skill ceiling

Sun3

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Sun3
Switch Friend Code
SW-5980-0921-5120
Blocking vision in a way that can disproportionately affect a certain group but not another is such poor design
It sucks that even after changing the visuals to make them darker they still afflict players, a friend not previously affected by the light screen is not affected by the dark screen and that sucks so much

i wish the debuff was completely reworked into another thing, an idea ive had for a while is to make the debuff remove your gear abilities + cooler
I wish devs realized that things that mess with the pov of players are generally a bad idea, from the blooper to an overly bright flash bang to screen.

i really think the debuff reducing visibility and messing up the audio was removed because for something like this it will be impossible to keep a debuff that doesn’t affect anyone with a disability or impediment

mossyquartz

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6391-8464-6805
Not many people play it now because its only on 2 weapons, and one of them is undercover. As soon as Nintendo starts adding screen to more weapons, (52, naut, flingza, squiffer, eliter, bamboo, explo, dread, hydra, edit, glooga, and range all have a chance of getting it) more people will start to pick it up.
That's true! But I'm not sure how inclined Nintendo is to put it on new weapons after everything LOL
It is definitely a concern but I don't think people should be tearing each other apart over it considering how it's not seeing any play currently

Sun3

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Sun3
Switch Friend Code
SW-5980-0921-5120
That's true! But I'm not sure how inclined Nintendo is to put it on new weapons after everything LOL
It is definitely a concern but I don't think people should be tearing each other apart over it considering how it's not seeing any play currently
Actually I think it’s a good idea to have the debate now and take measures
once more screen weapons get added the discussion will get worse and worse, having things preemptively is a good idea
if people are making such a fuss about it despite being on 2 weapons imagine how it will get when more get added

i think Nintendo won’t give a second thought to the accessibility issues and will just go business as usual cuz that’s just how they have always been across the series in many different aspects

ieha

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-5658-4596-2585
Splattercolor screen for me is just another annoying special, and I'm sure it's the same for a lot of people, but I know a friend/teammate who gets really bad migraines after hearing the noise, where they wouldn't be able to play the game properly for quite the while- which is a problem considering how long tournament runs are. ^^; Turning off the audio wouldn't solve anything and would impact how well they play considering they're a backliner; they kind of need the awareness.. I've seen someone say that the switch between light to screen's dark effect strains their eyes as well.

I feel like the competitive scene needs to have some empathy to people who are affected by screen. Seeing players tell people with disabilities to "not play the game" cause of a garbage special really sucks. From what I know, there haven't been any complaints about sensory issues before screen...

This special needs a rework before it gets added to any other kits, it feels incomplete and rushed. I wish this special was executed better D: it would be so fun learning how to push with screen!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom