• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Servers: Paid or unpaid?

ReeSquidGig

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
Her / she
NNID
Ree
Switch Friend Code
SW-8348-2484-7793
So, with the new splatoon, what I want to know is that if you have to pay to play on their servers, and if hackers cant hack into the system? sooooo... Anyone else has any questions about this? and, do you still get pentalized for disconnections in a ranked battle??!!

Last edited:

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Online play will be free until Fall (exact date n price not specified) and there shouldn't be any widespread hacking for quite a while. Unfortunately they have to penalize all disconnects since there's no way for it to tell if it was intentional or not.

I'm holding Nintendo to their word about improving match connection >_>
Wait they said that? Gotta link? MK8D performs the same if not worse than the Wii U version, so not a good sign there.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Well, its a bit of inference/projection of my wants(because the answer they give regarding the paid service is as nebulous as it always has been.
http://nintendoeverything.com/ninte...n-name-online-play-january-event-much-more/3/
ctrl + f for "online service" to skip to the bit

They say "maintaining a stable playing experience"
So the desperate squid fan in me says "YES they want better matches like I do!"

but the beaten and bruised pessimist in me says "well whup dee doo, sounds like a get out of jail free answer for when they take the money and do jack s#$%"

When nintendo starts charging for the same service they were giving for free up until fall this year, I'll have to write a letter, because that would be... very dissapointing =[ I hope it never goes there, can my optimistic squid fan self be right for a change?
Is that too much to ask???

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Well, its a bit of inference/projection of my wants(because the answer they give regarding the paid service is as nebulous as it always has been.
http://nintendoeverything.com/ninte...n-name-online-play-january-event-much-more/3/
ctrl + f for "online service" to skip to the bit

They say "maintaining a stable playing experience"
So the desperate squid fan in me says "YES they want better matches like I do!"

but the beaten and bruised pessimist in me says "well whup dee doo, sounds like a get out of jail free answer for when they take the money and do jack s#$%"

When nintendo starts charging for the same service they were giving for free up until fall this year, I'll have to write a letter, because that would be... very dissapointing =[ I hope it never goes there, can my optimistic squid fan self be right for a change?
Is that too much to ask???
I was optimistic that the Switch wouldn't have paid online, so yeah, I have to be realistic on this now and assume the paid service will be no different from the others in regards to online play improvements, or rather the lack of. It should be cheaper though so there's that atleast.

Fullmental

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Pokeman92
I just thought of something based on this...how are alt accounts going to work? Are we going to be forced to pay a separate subscription for each account we create with a new alt? That would REALLY suck...

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
I just thought of something based on this...how are alt accounts going to work? Are we going to be forced to pay a separate subscription for each account we create with a new alt? That would REALLY suck...
I was very concerned about this to be honest, having a alt account myself. Although I may merge it...I HOPE the online payment is per console, not per account. Xbox One does this, if I recall.

Fullmental

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Pokeman92
I was very concerned about this to be honest, having a alt account myself. Although I may merge it...I HOPE the online payment is per console, not per account. Xbox One does this, if I recall.
Yeah I'm concerned too. How else can I freely try weapons I don't normally use in ranked other than to do it in S/S+ and just get destroyed?

Last edited:

dr3am

Inkling
After buying Breath of the Wild DLC, it works on every account on the system, so hopefully the same happens when buying a subscription.

ReeSquidGig

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
Her / she
NNID
Ree
Switch Friend Code
SW-8348-2484-7793
I am really starting not to like these hackers as much as I did at first... wanna know why!? well, I have to say something anyways: BECAUSE THEY MESS UP THE WHOLE SERVER! I got in trouble twice because, I was just having fun with all of the different colored ink like black, white. neon etc, then three battles later;" Aaaannnnnnnnn" somehow, an alarm sounded from my wii u, and the screen froze!!! It scared me! the hacker had BROKE my internet, so... that's why I hate hackers and the splatoon needs to make a new Anti-hack system, and that... we shouldn't loose 5 points every time the internet causes a disconnection!!! (and the fact that sometimes, it lags until the person you thought you blew up, blows you up with them!) If I got to pay for a server, with the same results as the current, splatoon 1 server, I might as well keep using my wii U. #:mad:

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Well they have already improved their connection capabilities. They're still ghastly though. They went from an absolute disaster to merely terrible. Looking at MK8D and considering MK8 was a larger title than Splatoon, as well as considering the Splatoon Test Fire, I don't see us getting anything beyond ****ty P2P connections again that will remain worse than even free network services of other consoles like the PS3.

Their online service is not even worth the 20$/year price range they suggested right now, and I sincerely doubt this will change at any point. While they charge only 1/3 of what the competition charges, their service not even worth a fragment of what the competitors have to offer, to the point where honestly even 5$/year could potentially be seen as overpriced in comparison.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
Yes, while I don't use alternate accounts. You especially do. But I have began considering such so I don't have to switch out so much, but then there is that problem.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
You'll have to pay to play next year.

I personally won't be, unless they heavily improve their servers. I've never had a worse online experience than on the Switch (playing on other's), MK8D runs much worse than on the Wii U, and during the Spla2n testfire I couldn't even get connected for the first 30 minutes. ARMs has also had quite a bit of lag. This is both on my internet and other Wi-Fi that I know, it consistently performs a lot worse than any other console or PC i've used.

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
I find it so silly to fork over cash for a pretty lackluster system of exploiters and lag, but Nintendo's aware they've got control. We don't know if hackers will be punished yet, but I doubt this game will have a large improvement over security. After all, the original was never properly patched. It's honestly a shame, and it feels like Nintendo is aiming Splatoon 2 more at local play and LAN events due to their lack of support for proper online play. Heck, the advertisements even feature LAN events, not online play.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I find it so silly to fork over cash for a pretty lackluster system of exploiters and lag, but Nintendo's aware they've got control. We don't know if hackers will be punished yet, but I doubt this game will have a large improvement over security. After all, the original was never properly patched. It's honestly a shame, and it feels like Nintendo is aiming Splatoon 2 more at local play and LAN events due to their lack of support for proper online play. Heck, the advertisements even feature LAN events, not online play.
Hackers still aren't more than a rare occurrence in the first game, it'll be a long while before they show up in Splatoon 2 so I wouldn't worry about that. The Wii U is dead, can't really blame them for not supporting it or it's games anymore. The Switch however is alive and selling too well, so they have every reason to support it... well I'd like to say that, but over a month later and MK8D's online is still worse than the Wii U version. Perhaps that's because it's just a port though, ARMS for me atleast runs a lot better. LAN n portability are new to Splatoon so it makes sense they'd advertise that, they know the game is still all about the online... except Salmon Run is available anytime only though local play... Okay nevermind lel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom