• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

"Shiny" and "Pure" Gear Compendium

Mazz

Inkling
NNID
Subception
I have a couple of Shiny pieces of gear, no idea if anyone would be interested or not though:

:head_ncp003: x :ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:
:head_cap005: x :ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:

Shame that the second hat is Ink Saver: Sub, from my testing it didn't seem to help much at all. It's quite useful stacked with Ink Recovery Up though!

NNID: Subception

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I believe "Shiny" gear is when it has 3x of an ability that isn't favored by the brand, ex. Fake Contacts with 3x Ink Recovery isn't shiny, but Fake Contacts with 3x Swim Speed would be.

KeebyKakes

Senior Squid
I have :head_met002: with 2 :ability_swimspeed: subs and want to distribute it before unlocking the 3rd slot (in hopes that one would become a pure). If anyone wants it, my NNID is PokeWeegee and you can send me a friend request with your Squidboards username. (If anyone does get a pure from this, it would be great if you could share it too.)

Sharpzz

Full Squid
I have :head_met002: with 2 :ability_swimspeed: subs and want to distribute it before unlocking the 3rd slot (in hopes that one would become a pure). If anyone wants it, my NNID is PokeWeegee and you can send me a friend request with your Squidboards username. (If anyone does get a pure from this, it would be great if you could share it too.)
Ok I'll help! I will send a friend request.

Sharpzz

Full Squid
By the by, someone has apparently found the odds for the Spyke ordering system. Someone told me the odds on my GameFaqs post. I'll quote the answer.

"If you're level 16+, for a gear that has 3 default slots, the odds are:
- 30 % chance of getting no sub ability (so it's the same as if you ordered from the shop, only the price differs)
- 60 % chance of getting the first sub ability
- 9.5 % chance of getting the first 2 sub abilities
- 0.5 % chance of getting all 3 sub abilities, so an exact copy

according to the Japanese wiki http://wikiwiki.jp/splatoon2ch/?%A5%AE%A5%A2 . I don't know what is their source, maybe there is an official strategy guide released in Japan.

On http://squidboards.com/threads/shiny-and-pure-gear-compendium.3423/page-5#post-75804 Norb confirmed that if you buy from Spyke an ordered gear with only 2 matching sub abilities (9.5 % chance), you could use the save trick to unlock the 3rd sub and if it's not the one you want, repeat. "

The source for the post is: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805617-splatoon/72368988

Last edited:

Norb

Inkling
NNID
zekhet
By the by, someone has apparently found the odds for the Spyke ordering system. Someone told me the odds on my GameFaqs post. I'll quote the answer.

"If you're level 16+, for a gear that has 3 default slots, the odds are:
- 30 % chance of getting no sub ability (so it's the same as if you ordered from the shop, only the price differs)
- 60 % chance of getting the first sub ability
- 9.5 % chance of getting the first 2 sub abilities
- 0.5 % chance of getting all 3 sub abilities, so an exact copy

according to the Japanese wiki http://wikiwiki.jp/splatoon2ch/?%A5%AE%A5%A2 . I don't know what is their source, maybe there is an official strategy guide released in Japan.

On http://squidboards.com/threads/shiny-and-pure-gear-compendium.3423/page-5#post-75804 Norb confirmed that if you buy from Spyke an ordered gear with only 2 matching sub abilities (9.5 % chance), you could use the save trick to unlock the 3rd sub and if it's not the one you want, repeat. "

The source for the post is: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805617-splatoon/72368988
Oh man.........

Those odds feel right, it is pretty common to get only the first sub ability. So it would be "easier" to get that 9.5% chance and then start leveling that gear again and again until you get the same sub?

Njok

Bouncer
Oh man.........

Those odds feel right, it is pretty common to get only the first sub ability. So it would be "easier" to get that 9.5% chance and then start leveling that gear again and again until you get the same sub?
That seems about right, yes :(

In fact, in most cases the odds are better to receive 2 subs and level up the wanted third slot yourself. When doing it this way the odds would be:

Most likely sub --> 2,88%
Normal sub --> 0,58%
Less likely sub --> 0,29%

(Note that these are calculations for brands that have a favored sub ability)

Oh Spyke, how i hate you....

dukevin

Senior Squid
NNID
dukevin
Great! I won't have time to play my Wii U until later today, but I'll accept your request and we can do a Private Battle at some point.
I have a :head_eye005:with :ability_damage: ( :ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:)

Edit: rolled a pure one!

Last edited:

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Oh man.........

Yeah that's definitely the best way to obtain shiny/pure gear. I did that just a few minutes ago to get a pure Part-Time Pirate!

Thanks to being S+ rank I can unlock the third slot after just one victory, so it didn't take long at all, just 3 trys infact. The only issue is if Spyke cooperates, cause if not you have to wait a whole nother day.

Anyone got:shoes_sht004::head_eye005: :clothes_jkt003: with:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:?
I'm working on getting a pure Snorkel Mask from a friend, and as mentioned above I have a pure Part-Time Pirate unless you really want the Varsity Jacket for it's looks, and I cannot blame you for that!

Njok

Bouncer
Yeah that's definitely the best way to obtain shiny/pure gear. I did that just a few minutes ago to get a pure Part-Time Pirate!

Thanks to being S+ rank I can unlock the third slot after just one victory, so it didn't take long at all, just 3 trys infact. The only issue is if Spyke cooperates, cause if not you have to wait a whole nother day.

I'm working on getting a pure Snorkel Mask from a friend, and as mentioned above I have a pure Part-Time Pirate unless you really want the Varsity Jacket for it's looks, and I cannot blame you for that!
Mind if i try ordering that from you? I've always wanted to become a part-time pirate! (getting kinda tired of doing it full time :P)

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Mind if i try ordering that from you? I've always wanted to become a part-time pirate! (getting kinda tired of doing it full time :p)
lawlz, go right ahead! My NNID is to the left, and I'll try to be playing Turf War around 8pm ET tonight, or 13 hours from now.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Hey so all this means it is actually reasonably possible to create Shiny or Pure at will rather than random chance alone which could give you undesired combos. Basically any gear with it's first two sub abilitys being the same can be made Shiny/Pure using the aforementioned save back-up before buying from Spyke method to guarantee the third ability matches. I don't know the odds exactly, I'm sure rolling two of the same neutral ability in the first two slots isn't as easy as rolling three of the 5x ability, but it's definitely way more likely than rolling a Shiny or Pure straight up. Once you have the two abilitys, all ya have to do is have a friend order it off ya, then once they get it with the first two subs you can order it back, and now you'll both have special gear! I really want a Pure Camo Hoodie for my Quick Comeback build, so I'm gonna try this method after Splatfest this weekend!

Also guys you should check and see if you have any gear with the first two subs being the same. You might already be that close to having Pure/Shiny gear!

Norb

Inkling
NNID
zekhet
Hey so all this means it is actually reasonably possible to create Shiny or Pure at will rather than random chance alone which could give you undesired combos. Basically any gear with it's first two sub abilitys being the same can be made Shiny/Pure using the aforementioned save back-up before buying from Spyke method to guarantee the third ability matches. I don't know the odds exactly, I'm sure rolling two of the same neutral ability in the first two slots isn't as easy as rolling three of the 5x ability, but it's definitely way more likely than rolling a Shiny or Pure straight up. Once you have the two abilitys, all ya have to do is have a friend order it off ya, then once they get it with the first two subs you can order it back, and now you'll both have special gear! I really want a Pure Camo Hoodie for my Quick Comeback build, so I'm gonna try this method after Splatfest this weekend!

Also guys you should check and see if you have any gear with the first two subs being the same. You might already be that close to having Pure/Shiny gear!
I would love to help you out with that como hoodie.

Also, when ordering gear with less than 3 slots with abilities unlocked, the odds are different (since the possibility of having 3 of the same sub is gone, couse the gear didnt have 3 subs in the first place).

Ive got hundreds of "exactly wot you wanted" messages just cuz I ordered a 1 slot unlocked gear.

I hate spyke

Sharpzz

Full Squid

OMG can i add you for that shirt O_O

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I would love to help you out with that como hoodie.

Also, when ordering gear with less than 3 slots with abilities unlocked, the odds are different (since the possibility of having 3 of the same sub is gone, couse the gear didnt have 3 subs in the first place).

Ive got hundreds of "exactly wot you wanted" messages just cuz I ordered a 1 slot unlocked gear.

I hate spyke
Different for better or worse? I'd assume worse, so for Gear with only two slots the 0.5% chance becomes for just having the two slots, while the 9.5% is for just having one. Most Gear I order has 3 slots so I can't be sure.

OMG can i add you for that shirt O_O
But of course! Accepted your request, and I'll be on tonight for the new weapons, though not exactly sure when.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom