• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

shooter noob

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
Hey everybody, let's try and be civil

We all have varying opinions and thoughts, let's not attack each other because we don't agree with each other.

FlareHabanero

Increases the Excitement
I will however say that single player and multiplayer are two different beasts. You can rock the world like a hurricane in single player, but once you step into multiplayer you'll start hitting a brick wall. But that's common with any sort of game that has multiplayer, so don't be discouraged to improve.

Yaezakura

Pro Squid
I will however say that single player and multiplayer are two different beasts. You can rock the world like a hurricane in single player, but once you step into multiplayer you'll start hitting a brick wall. But that's common with any sort of game that has multiplayer, so don't be discouraged to improve.
Obviously. Singleplayer is basically training wheels. You use it to get used to the feeling of the game. But at some point the wheels have to come off and you have to be prepared to take some stumbles as you get used to the harder multiplayer experience.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
The way I see it, playing the single-player here would be a lot of help with controlling and movement and stuff.

In the same way that Kid Icarus Uprising's single-player was really helpful in getting to know that game's controls.

StarKun

Full Squid
The way I see it, playing the single-player here would be a lot of help with controlling and movement and stuff.

In the same way that Kid Icarus Uprising's single-player was really helpful in getting to know that game's controls.
that's really the best way to understand the controls.

Same with smash bros. Play alone if you're not sure how to actually play the game.

Playing online is a no brainer, it teaches you how to play against others. This game's battle dojo should help with not only controls but also getting a grasp on how to compete against others in the game.

Of course, if you wanna just learn through online that's fine, just don't go in guns a-blazing if you actually want to learn something from the game.. unless you wanna learn why going leeroy jenkins at the opponents is a bad thing.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Telling him to ignore me. How pathetic. As if anything you said has any value whatsoever. Take a step back and realize that that asking advice on a game no one here has actually played is already pretty stupid. Tell us more oh magical expert. Exactly how many hundreds of hours of play experience do you have to be dolling out advice and judging the advice of others? What's that? None. Nothing to support your position when attacking others? Brilliant!

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
So, I've never actually played a shooter game before (I tend to play RPGs) so I don't actually know much about how they play. Does anyone have any advice for these kinds of games?
movement is actually crucial for a lot of shooter games, first or third person. your raw aiming skills are important as well, but moving from point a to point b as optimally as possible and learning the layout of the maps should come first. when you find a weapon you like, stick with it and look for guides and threads on this site on how to use them as best as possible. also, since splatoon is a team based game where you get points for covering the map in ink instead of getting frags and kills, try not to stress over your raw combat ability so much. try to figure out your playstyle and how you can be as useful of an asset to your team as you can. your raw aiming skills will increase naturally over time, there's no secret to it or any way to rush it.

most important of all, don't get stressed! getting anxious about how good you are going into a match will probably just hurt your performance. unless you perform well under pressure, try to remind yourself that it's just a game, and that you'll improve at your own pace. it's not a race to be the best.

Kris

Senior Squid
NNID
Kristofuror
In this game you can be horrible at shooting and still be a benefit to your team.
You can just run away from other players and focus on inking. If you can't aim use one of the rollers. Its melee You literally just run over them and it's really hard to miss when you shoot paint off of it.

Just keep in mind, the players that are better than you may have been playing shooter games for more than 20 to 10 years. So don't get upset if you aren't great.

When you get splatoon head straight for Single player. Beat it THEN go online. It will do wonders for you. You won't be amazing but you will have a grasp of the controls. Go on multiplayer, have fun. Learn the win conditions of whatever mode. Be creative in how you will accomplish them. Play your own way.

My general experience from most games.

If you want to play now. But 1 shooter. Google what's popular and pick one that Interests you most. Suggestions from me are Halo, Destiny, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Killzone are a few.

Best of luck.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
So, I've never actually played a shooter game before (I tend to play RPGs) so I don't actually know much about how they play. Does anyone have any advice for these kinds of games?
Me neither. My guess is to just point and shoot. :D

EnderGamma

Senior Squid
NNID
EnderGamma
It's awesome that Splatoon is the shooter that caught your eye and convinced you to dabble in the shooter genre! While some folk have an easier time than others, the biggest learning curve in all shooter fundamentally is controlling your aim. After that, traversing the map space and movement is the next fundamental. I can assure you there will be multiple guides to help newcomers to Splatoon and shooters in general alike! Stay tuned!

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Just practice. Learn the controls, learn the maps, and just play. No one can really tell you exactly how to aim. They can give you tips, but no amount of reading will ever help, in my opinion. Just go out and play.

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
As most people have said, the single-play portion of the game will help you a lot when it comes to controls, introducing you to the weapons, how the game works, as well as some movement. Movement is very important in shooters. There are some classes/weapons where you don't want to move around while trying to aim (such as a sniper) because it could ruin your shot. In Splatoon it might not be that way because of how the weapons and aiming works, at least if you're using the gamepad.

Honestly, it does pretty much come down to pratice. You'll gain more experience as you play, but a couple of tips I can give you is to always be aware of your surroundings. You need to have map awareness so you know where you're going, what escape routes will be available to you and any possible ways to flank the enemy. Movement is always key to survival. If you're standing still at any point, you're making yourself an easy target. Try to strafe while shooting, but don't be too predictable! If you just keep strafing in the same direction, your opponent will know where you're going, and you may not be paying attention to what's around you if you're focusing on who you're fighting. You don't want to walk into a wall when you're in a fight. Mix it up a little. Also, you'll always want to get the drop on your opponent so try not to waste the element of surprise. If you catch them off-guard, they're at a huge disadvantage, which can also apply to you if you're not careful.

Single-player won't teach you everything you need to know, mainly because actual players will play differently to any AI characters. If you're confident that you've got the hang of things, give multiplayer a try. It's not going to be a super competitive game in your first bunch of matches, and you'll get the hang of playing against other people in no time. I'll also suggest trying to assess a situation before you do engage in a fight. Don't blindly rush into something thinking you've got the upper hand, because there could always be another enemy just outside of your view. Leading on from that, I will say that you shouldn't be afraid to retreat from a fight if it starts going badly, especially in Splatoon! If you're alive, your team can leap over to you and help you fix the tricky situation. If you let yourself die, your team loses a chance to jump in and help and you'll be setting your team back as a whole if that happens.

Lastly, the most important thing to remember is to have fun. If you're not enjoying yourself at any point, just take a step back and relax. I find that when I get annoyed, I lose a lot of concentration and skill in those situations. When I'm having fun, I tend to focus a little better and even perform better, which leaves me enjoying the game because I know I'm doing my best and having a blast while doing so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom