• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

shooter noob

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
So, I've never actually played a shooter game before (I tend to play RPGs) so I don't actually know much about how they play. Does anyone have any advice for these kinds of games?

Yaezakura

Pro Squid
Mostly just take your time, and try not to get frustrated by poor performance as you learn. It's really easy to let some bad games get to your head and convince you you're terrible, when you're just not experienced enough yet.

The singleplayer campaign should do a pretty good job of having you learn the basics, so I'd definitely suggest beating that before stepping into the multiplayer.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
If you have a decent PC, you can always download Steam, download Team Fortress 2 and practice. Or you can follow ^'s tip and play the single player campaign when Splatoon is out, before moving on to multiplayer matches.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
It's best to play the Singleplayer and then move to Dojo afterwards, so you can get a grasp on the controls. After that, you're basically set to play. :P

Arne

Full Squid
NNID
Arne83
When trying to take down an opponent, don't just shoot wildly and hope you hit them. Proper aim is your friend.

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
When trying to take down an opponent, don't just shoot wildly and hope you hit them. Proper aim is your friend.
that's probably going to be an issue for me. whenever I play a game with guns I tend to panic fire.

Xeiros

Senior Squid
Do not play Hero Mode first. Unless you do Amiibo challenges, it will not prepare you in any meaningful way for Online. The various mechanics in the single player are unique to it. Not only that, you won't gain any coolness or earn any gold playing it either. If you want to get better gear and earn new weapon sets, you'll have to dive into Turf War at some point.

Turf War starts you with the Splattershot Jr. weapon set. The titular main weapon in this set consumes ink slowly, fires quickly, and sprays ink in a small cone in front of you making it perfect for beginners. Understand that Splatoon has various main weapon categories ranging from shot-based, paint brushes, chargers, blasters, air brushes, paint rollers, and so on. That is to say, you've got plenty of options so earn and experiment with them to find the ones that suit you best. It is not a shooter in any traditional sense. Even in Splat Zones the goal is not primarily to splatter the other players.

How well you understand a map's layout, How and when you use your special. How well you balance you ink use between your main and sub weapons, Your spatial awareness. How well you support the rest of your team. How you balance spreading ink for territory capture, mobility and refilling purposes and direct confrontations with other enemy inklings. These are just a few of the skills you'll learn naturally as you play online. Remember you don't even need to use a ranged weapon if you don't want. Dive right into Online as soon as you can. Even if you lose, you'll still be able to earn loads of gold and coolness just by spreading lots of ink. Your individual efforts in Turf Wars are not rewarded based on how many players you splatted, but by how much you contributed to the primary objective.

StarKun

Full Squid
No worries, I'm new to shooters too. Though I have played some, I usually suck at them and have terrible aim.

Maybe splatoon will help us get the hang of shooters

StarKun

Full Squid
I like your profile picture, starkun.
it's my favorite piece of splatoon fanart and it probably will stay like that, so thanks.

I just had to take the opportunity when I found out about this board

Yaezakura

Pro Squid
Do not play Hero Mode first. Unless you do Amiibo challenges, it will not prepare you in any meaningful way for Online. The various mechanics in the single player are unique to it. Not only that, you won't gain any coolness or earn any gold playing it either. If you want to get better gear and earn new weapon sets, you'll have to dive into Turf War at some point.

Turf War starts you with the Splattershot Jr. weapon set. The titular main weapon in this set consumes ink slowly, fires quickly, and sprays ink in a small cone in front of you making it perfect for beginners. Understand that Splatoon has various main weapon categories ranging from shot-based, paint brushes, chargers, blasters, air brushes, paint rollers, and so on. That is to say, you've got plenty of options so earn and experiment with them to find the ones that suit you best. It is not a shooter in any traditional sense. Even in Splat Zones the goal is not primarily to splatter the other players.

How well you understand a map's layout, How and when you use your special. How well you balance you ink use between your main and sub weapons, Your spatial awareness. How well you support the rest of your team. How you balance spreading ink for territory capture, mobility and refilling purposes and direct confrontations with other enemy inklings. These are just a few of the skills you'll learn naturally as you play online. Remember you don't even need to use a ranged weapon if you don't want. Dive right into Online as soon as you can. Even if you lose, you'll still be able to earn loads of gold and coolness just by spreading lots of ink. Your individual efforts in Turf Wars are not rewarded based on how many players you splatted, but by how much you contributed to the primary objective.
mininut4, please just ignore this guy. You do not want to go into multiplayer before even having a handle on how the game controls. While he's correct that the singleplayer campaign has a number of unique mechanics, it'll still go a long way towards teaching you the basics of play--how to move around, how to use your abilities as a squid, the importance of using your secondary and special weapons, and so on. It's designed to get players used to the game's features and controls.

Multiplayer will be an immensely frustrating experience, given its competitive nature, if you don't even know the basics of how to properly move around the map yet.

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
Lots of strategies carry over from other shooters.

A huge thing to keep in kind in this game is to never run out of ink. While constantly being on the move, you'll want to develop a rhythm between recharging your ink and shooting.

Also, you don't want to be predictable. For example, don't just stand in the middle of the level while setting up a killer wail or ink strike.

You should also learn the maps as best as you can. Know where you can and cannot spread ink. Know the high areas, water hazards, etc.

The more you know, the more of an advantage you have against the opponents :D

Last edited:

Xeiros

Senior Squid
Telling him to ignore me. How pathetic. As if anything you said has any value whatsoever. Take a step back and realize that that asking advice on a game no one here has actually played is already pretty stupid. Tell us more oh magical expert. Exactly how many hundreds of hours of play experience do you have to be dolling out advice and judging the advice of others? What's that? None. Nothing to support your position when attacking others? Brilliant!

Yaezakura

Pro Squid
Telling him to ignore me. How pathetic. As if anything you said has any value whatsoever. Take a step back and realize that that asking advice on a game no one here has actually played is already pretty stupid. Tell us more oh magical expert. Exactly how many hundreds of hours of play experience do you have to be dolling out advice and judging the advice of others? What's that? None. Nothing to support your position when attacking others? Brilliant!
Who's attacking anyone? While I didn't agree with your post, I did take time to point out where some of the things you said did have merit. But in general, telling someone who has almost no experience with shooter games to jump straight into competitive multiplayer, when there's a singleplayer option for him to learn the basics like how to control his character, seems silly to me.

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
why don't we just agree that single player can have benefits, but there are also traits that are exclusive to singleplayer before this just degrades into namecalling and fighting? can we agree on that?

StarKun

Full Squid
dude, don't be a butt.

I think hero mode is a great way to start if you're new to shooters, just like playing alone is a good starter for other shooters.

even if the players online suck, at least you'll know and get used to the controls with no pressure when you're doing it on hero mode.

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
Hopefully for learning and fine tuning the most rudimentary actions (running, looking, shooting, transforming, swimming/reloading, jumping) there'll be a training mode that can be accessed whenever, similar to what has been seen in demos.

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
Hopefully for learning and fine tuning the most rudimentary actions (running, looking, shooting, transforming, swimming/reloading, jumping) there'll be a training mode that can be accessed whenever, similar to what has been seen in demos.
In the Japanese overview trailer of the game, we saw some kind of target practice area.
I'd also like to see more open environments so players can practice their movement.

StarKun

Full Squid
I'm hoping the areas we see in the weapon clips can be actual training grounds that you can access in the game

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I agree with @Yaezakura, OP shouldn't follow Xeiros' 'advice'. Playing the single player mode of the game will serve as good starting point for newbies, for sure, even if the single player have its fair share of unique mechanics that will not be present in multiplayer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom