• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Short Range Weapons "Hidden Ability" ?

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Probably not hidden, i think at least 50% of everyone who mains a short range weapons knows about this already, but for those who haven't i'm just gonna give you the brief thing.

I main mostly mid-long range weapons, and i started using the Splattershot Jr, and the Deco version again and noticed something that answered an annoying question on how it works.

Long range weapons have a hard time inking in front of itself in most scenario, where as short range weapon arcs faster downwards and don't have much range, chasing opponents with Heavy Splatling they run off and hide below an area to take cover, chasing opponent with Splat Jr. suddenly changes things a lot, chase them off a ramp and your shots arc down much faster and you can splat almost anyone trying to escape you, if you're close enough.

I've been bugged how everyone could hit me, even when i'm half way down a ramp, the shots arcs faster than i can fall, which explains a lot.

Anyone else's input on how useful this really is?

_Koriko_

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3709-6740-5598
If i'm understanding this right, this means you should always be a little bit sleathy and one step ahead of your oppenet. Strike before they know you're there.

I think.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
If i'm understanding this right, this means you should always be a little bit sleathy and one step ahead of your oppenet. Strike before they know you're there.

I think.
What i ment it, any long range weapon can outrange a short range weapon obviously, but short range weapon used on someone who's standing on an edge of somewhere, where their only plan of escape is down from it, as you are approaching them from behind or the side, with a long range weapon, you would have a harder time hitting them, but short range weapons shots arc down faster, so if they tried to slide down a ledge, your shots if short ranged have a bigger chance of hitting them, instead of longer ranged ones.

Good Examples are : Splatter Shot Jr, Tri-Slosher and the Carbon Roller, weapons with very short ranges.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Long range weapons and short range weapons usually trade off in some properties.

For most weapons it's a slower fire rate for longer range and vice versa. This relationship can be seen with the splattershot and splattershot pro, the .52 and the .96 gals, the regular blaster and the range blaster, and many more weapons.

Usually the increased rate of fire helps ink more turf in front of you, help you ink faster, or even kill a bit quicker. That's usually why most short ranged weapons have been considered with good mobility.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Yes, if someone is standing below you when you're on a ledge, you're going to have a hard time hitting them with longer-range weapons and even with rollers (at least, the horizontal flick--not sure about the vertical). Short-range shooters (Sploosh, Jr., Aerospray) and the Slosher and Tri-Slosher (but not the Sloshing Machine) have an advantage here.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
Yes, if someone is standing below you when you're on a ledge, you're going to have a hard time hitting them with longer-range weapons and even with rollers (at least, the horizontal flick--not sure about the vertical). Short-range shooters (Sploosh, Jr., Aerospray) and the Slosher and Tri-Slosher (but not the Sloshing Machine) have an advantage here.
Sending a vertical straight down schould do the trick.
Although it does depend on wich roller you’re using and the height.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Probably not hidden, i think at least 50% of everyone who mains a short range weapons knows about this already, but for those who haven't i'm just gonna give you the brief thing.

I main mostly mid-long range weapons, and i started using the Splattershot Jr, and the Deco version again and noticed something that answered an annoying question on how it works.

Long range weapons have a hard time inking in front of itself in most scenario, where as short range weapon arcs faster downwards and don't have much range, chasing opponents with Heavy Splatling they run off and hide below an area to take cover, chasing opponent with Splat Jr. suddenly changes things a lot, chase them off a ramp and your shots arc down much faster and you can splat almost anyone trying to escape you, if you're close enough.

I've been bugged how everyone could hit me, even when i'm half way down a ramp, the shots arcs faster than i can fall, which explains a lot.

Anyone else's input on how useful this really is?
This is correct for the most part, but really that rule only exists because when people think of long range weapons they think E Liter, Heavy, or maybe the Jet. But the thing with those weapons is that they shoot forward, and they don’t arc. Remember that things with slightly shorter range my cover better (Splattershot Pro, Mini, Bamboozler).

BTW the Bamboozler is seriously underrated, and also it’s painting ability is miles ahead of all the other chargers, because the range doesn’t change no matter how much you charged, even though the spots of ink are disconnected if you don’t fully charge. I am not good with chargers but this weapon IMO deserves more attention than what it gets.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
You mean the hidden ability called "level design that heavily favors short range weapons"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom