Should I stop using motion controls if I ever want to have a chance of maximizing my potential?

Nintendo

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Gatoray
You would be limiting your maximum potential if you switched to traditional controls.
This is history in the making. The first time motion controls have ever been a preferred method over analog controls in a competitive game. Hooray Nintendo!

D

Deleted Member

This is history in the making. The first time motion controls have ever been a preferred method over analog controls in a competitive game. Hooray Nintendo!
Actually motion controls have always been superior to analog sticks for FPS and TPS games. Motion controls aren't as good as a mouse + keyboard, but they're better than analog sticks.

For example, Resident Evil 4 is far easier and faster with a Wiimote + Nunchuk than a GameCube controller due to how fast aiming is with the Wiimote.

Nintendo

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Gatoray
Actually motion controls have always been superior to analog sticks for FPS and TPS games. Motion controls aren't as good as a mouse + keyboard, but they're better than analog sticks.

For example, Resident Evil 4 is far easier and faster with a Wiimote + Nunchuk than a GameCube controller due to how fast aiming is with the Wiimote.
Well, yeah. I was just speaking for competitive games. Motion controls are definitely nice on any game if implemented well.

fishiecracker

Inkling
NNID
fishiecracker
Any tips for someone who is struggling to get the hang of motion controls?

LuxLuxora

Full Squid
NNID
LuxLuxora
Motion control offer more precision. It combines typical console/controller experience but offers the precision of wrist movement previously only obtained from a KB/Mouse set up. The Right Analog still servers for camera rotation, but the gyro offers additional turning if needed.

LuxLuxora

Full Squid
NNID
LuxLuxora
Practice with a Roller in Turf Wars to get a handle on rotation and basic aiming, since you won't be punished too hard for poor aim.
Agreed. Though it may not be the most fun, the roller is most forgiving for poor aim. It'll be a great way to learn the mechanics of the motion controls.

Nintendo

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Gatoray
Any tips for someone who is struggling to get the hang of motion controls?
In addition to what the other people said, practice pressing Y a lot. Use it to adjust your controller orientation quickly before you engage in any important aiming activity.

Krozo

Full Squid
NNID
KrozoMagnus
I feel like saying motion controls will be standard is like saying using claw grip is standard (Coming from a melee scene). Sure, you have more fingers to press buttons with claw, but it's not comfortable for everyone. Almost everyone uses standard grip for smash, even if you can't press as many buttons.

I think the same goes for motion controls here. Please don't force your opinion on people. Motion controls might be better, that doesn't mean it'll be the standard. It could be, I don't really know. But I think the actual game-play is more important to develop first before we worry about the control scheme you use.

If i did want to try motion controls, should I maybe go through single player with it? I could seem to get the hang of it earlier.
'

Nintendo

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Gatoray
I feel like saying motion controls will be standard is like saying using claw grip is standard (Coming from a melee scene). Sure, you have more fingers to press buttons with claw, but it's not comfortable for everyone. Almost everyone uses standard grip for smash, even if you can't press as many buttons.

I think the same goes for motion controls here. Please don't force your opinion on people. Motion controls might be better, that doesn't mean it'll be the standard. It could be, I don't really know. But I think the actual game-play is more important to develop first before we worry about the control scheme you use.

If i did want to try motion controls, should I maybe go through single player with it? I could seem to get the hang of it earlier.
'
No one is forcing anyone's opinion, don't worry. But yeah, single player helped me A LOT with getting used to controls and the general flow of the game.

ChivalRuse

Inkster Jr.
Once people have the muscle memory, I think that analog will be better in the long run.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
Motion controls are better, but if you don't want to play competitively it doesn't really matter. Most A+ Japanese players use motion for example. Also it gives you much more precision and movement capability, and also makes your aiming faster if that makes sense. You can twitch react to people sneaking up on you. It just gives you so many options it is worth the couple hours it takes to get used to, then the couple days it takes to master.

ChivalRuse

Inkster Jr.
I mean, I see that it has some advantages. But I can still flick snipe consistently with analog stick.

PerfektNerD

The Villain You Need
NNID
Perfekt
Use whatever control scheme you're best at. Motion controls allow for fine aiming but take getting used to. It will certainly be the preference in competitive play, as it's the most common control scheme in A ranked matches.

Chewypuck

Inkling
NNID
Puckychew
I feel like motion controls are better since it feels more smoother than analog controls, but you should use what you feel more comfortable with.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
There's already competitive games where motion controls or otherwise non-traditional controls are preferred. In Kid Icarus Uprising a analog player is at a severe disadvantage against a stylus player, and that's in a game where 80% of the guns fire homing shots. Or in Mario Kart 8 the Gamepad is the preferred controller because of the item spy and the ability to switch to motion controls on the fly for the traction bonus. (Seriously, just look at the TTs for Dry Dry Desert. Wii Wheels everywhere. ._.) Or just about any PC shooter with mouse and keyboard.

As long as you have steady hands, there's no reason to not have the gyro on.

iNinja5567

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
iNinja5567
I feel like motion controls are a lot more accurate than analog controls. It seems to be a lot harder to aim with analog controls.

fishiecracker

Inkling
NNID
fishiecracker
'
I went ahead and did my full play through of the story with motion controls. At first it was a struggle but by the end I was pretty comfortable! I would say its worth a shot, do an entire play through and at the end you should know if you like the motion controls or not!

Krozo

Full Squid
NNID
KrozoMagnus
I did finish the rest of the story with motion controls. Still a little weird, I find myself looking down way too often, not pressing y enough, but i'm getting the hang of it and I can see the further possibilities with motion.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
I did finish the rest of the story with motion controls. Still a little weird, I find myself looking down way too often, not pressing y enough, but i'm getting the hang of it and I can see the further possibilities with motion.
Once you get the hang of it you'll only really have to press Y when you really spaz out the camera doing something, which is pretty rare. I've only caught myself doing it like 2 or 3 times during SP and once in a blue moon in MP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom