Should Inkstrikes count after the match has ended?

Shiranui

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Shiranui
I've seen a last second inkstrike completely win several matches over the last two days. It's basically a free win if the battle was somewhat even since it gives a decent amount of percent.

Kilam

Inkling
NNID
MalJamMay
Maybe... but sometimes it doesn't work. I've seen Ink strikes used at the last second that have and haven't been counted, It's all about timing. It depends when it is used.

rokami

Inkling
NNID
83byte
Using an Inkstrike as the match ends is a pretty good tactical idea. But the amount of ink they really spread doesn't seem to be much in the long term of the match. And keeping an Inkstrike to the end is tough, because if you get splatted it's gone. I think due to the odds stacked against the player with the Inkstrike they should count.

Beariie

Full Squid
No they should not count. I had games where there have been 3-4 people using Aerosprays. At the end of the match about 2-3 inkstrikes can go off and completely change the tide of the battle in that last second where the other team cant really stop them.

IsmaR

was tentacles all along
Super Moderator
The same applies to sub weapons, like Splat Bombs/Sprinklers/Seekers

If you let your opponent charge up an Inkstrike to begin with, it shouldn't matter when they fire it.

Holding onto it to fire last second/doing multiple Inkstrikes is tactical, while getting the charge last second is how clutching works.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Yes, definitely. I'm glad they count although I've heard some (usually inexperienced players) complain. :P

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
No they should not count. I had games where there have been 3-4 people using Aerosprays. At the end of the match about 2-3 inkstrikes can go off and completely change the tide of the battle in that last second where the other team cant really stop them.
If they hold onto it for the last minute, they won't use any specials offensively. It's a gamble.

Personally I love doing that.

Crucifigo

Pro Squid
NNID
Crucifigo
I think it should count, if you scramble hard enough to get it off at the last second then hey, that's your reward. Chances are it won't make up those last 1-2% anyway.

Chris

Full Squid
NNID
MutedSound1111
There are many other specials that are better than the inkstrike, so it should count.

Rhode

$("div.content::dd").hide();
NNID
ricobullet
The fact they even had inkstrike available for the end means they wasted the availability of it before the clock ended. In my opinion, they could have easily covered more ground and potentially splat inklings by using the strike's opportunity of a tide changer

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
The fact they even had inkstrike available for the end means they wasted the availability of it before the clock ended.
I disagree. When I use the Aerospray I can easily fill its special bar in the last 10~ seconds and have it ready just in time for the results screen. The gun is just -that- dumb.

ZeroParadox

Senior Squid
NNID
ZeroParadox
I never consider it much of a game changer when it happens, which it rarely does, since people usually don't save it for the end of the match just to do that (might as well go forth and paint). Sometimes it's not even a decent enough game changer, just some last second attempt to maybe make your loss not as bad, but for when it works, it's not like they didn't save up that special meter. If they used it 10 seconds earlier and I couldn't stop it for whatever, it'd be no different than if they decided to wait to use it right at the game end screen. That's how I see it anyway.

Rhode

NNID
ricobullet
I disagree. When I use the Aerospray I can easily fill its special bar in the last 10~ seconds and have it ready just in time for the results screen. The gun is just -that- dumb.
That is possible yes, to fill the gauge rather quickly in the final moments. However the gauge can only be filled by spraying over other ink or unmarked territory (and we're at the end of a match so the likelihood of unmarked territory is pretty low), thus you must be in an acceptable position since you would have been penalized on the meter for being splatted.

If you're already in an acceptable position, while it can hold true to turn the tide after the clock, the fact the other team would allow something that spreads about 15~ mg of ink to make them lose is embarrassing.

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
That is possible yes, to fill the gauge rather quickly in the final moments. However the gauge can only be filled by spraying over other ink or unmarked territory (and we're at the end of a match so the likelihood of unmarked territory is pretty low), thus you must be in an acceptable position since you would have been penalized on the meter for being splatted.

If you're already in an acceptable position, while it can hold true to turn the tide after the clock, the fact the other team would allow something that spreads about 15~ mg of ink to make them lose is embarrassing.

I'll rephrase then, the weapon -and- the enemy is dumb.
I'm usually able to fill it like that, but... Nerfing inkstrike as a whole because the Aerospray is stupid wouldn't be fair to the other sets that use it.

Anyway, its...tough to say whether or not it should be counted. I mean, in other games when time is up, time is up. Unless something stops the clock I really don't think it makes sense for something to count after the round is over. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in most shooters once time is up or whatever objective is achieved. As an example, in CoD (why did I just type that) If you're in the middle of getting shot and the match ends, you and everyone else is made invincible because its over. You had your time in during the round to do something, why should some gimmick be a work around?

Same thing in fighting games, if I throw a projectile and the round ends, you won't be injured, because the round is over.

Look at it like this, sitting on the inkstrike is dumb. We can agree on that. But if you're in a situation where there is 15~ seconds left on the clock and you know you won't be able to fill another bar then waiting to send it out until after the round finishes would be a smart idea. Its impossible for them to contest it now, and so long as you have enough prowess to back yourself up and not die, it'll work. That is just sort of dumb. Not to say I haven't done it many a time, but it just feels so ehh.

Its kind of like the round ending in a boxing match and you throw in one last hook after the bell rang.

Just my 2cents

Rhode

NNID
ricobullet
In my opinion, all weapons, sub weapons, and special moves should not effective the field the second the timer runs out. While you may have used the special or sub weapon before the clock ends, the fact the weapon did not finish its objective before the timer runs out should mean it's no longer considered.

However the opposite holds true in the game, anything used before the clock runs out is accounted for even after the clock. While I don't agree with it, it's reassuring to know that Inkstrike is not the only special that has this effect, as timed/remote mines also have it. There is a pretty good chance you have someone on your team that has a sub weapon or special that will be accounted for in the end, making it an equal chance of alteration after the bell.

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
If you don't kill the ink striker before he gets to use it, they have every right when to use it.

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
I´m OK with them counting and I never use it but as some have said, you need to have a filled meter so you´ve earned it. You even have to be in a safe position to launch it, the animation is rather long and you can be splatted before it goes out.

However, other weapons should count too, because I may be mistaken but I think sprinklers die when the battle ends for example, but I may be biased here because I love using sprinklers as my sub.

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
I feel like that if it says that the game is over, that nothing else should count. It's common in other games such as Smash, I don't see why this game would be any different.

Chewypuck

Inkling
NNID
Puckychew
I feel like if they filled the meter and survived long enough to use it till the end, it's seems fair to me. I mean I've seen players leaving the battleground just so they can use it before the timer ends, their team won't have much support as they would have, so I guess it balances out. I know some players don't do this, but that's what I mean, they survived long enough to use it. So yeah, I think it's fair but it's annoying.

Alus

Senior Squid
NNID
starsauce
If a patch came out and inkstrikes no longer worked after the time went out, people would just learn to use it AS time is running out preventing you from cleaning the area anyways.

It would feel a little less unfair but it wouldn't make much of a difference. IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom