• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Should there be ranked Turf War?

The Apple BOOM

Senior Squid
NNID
TheAppleBOOM
Nintendo says that Splat Zones is more competitive than Turf War, but is it really? I was think to make Turf War the tournament standard mode for Avylon tournaments. What do you guys think?

NNID
superalice256
Splat Zones is more focused on head to head action, turf wars are very fun but they take longer and they can kinda turn into a war of attrition. They have their place but I think early tournaments would do better with splat zones first .

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Splat ZTones is more focused on head to head action, turf wars are very fun but they take longer and they can kinda turn into a war of attrition. They have their place but I think early tournaments would do better with splat zones first .
Splat Zones: between 1 and 6 minutes

Turf War: 3 minutes

Unless every game is a clean sweep how is Turf War longer than Splat Zones?

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Both Turf War and Splat Zones could be competitive, and I think they're different enough in both goals (INK EVERYTHING vs Ink These Places And Keep Them Your Color Until Your Timer Runs Out) and general accomplishment of those goals (INK EVERYTHING vs Ink Around These Places, Then Splat Anyone Who Tries To Get Them Away From You) that both could be viable choices for competition.
So yeah, competitive Turf Wars could work. They're already kinda competitive as is, so...

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
Nintendo says that Splat Zones is more competitive than Turf War, but is it really? I was think to make Turf War the tournament standard mode for Avylon tournaments. What do you guys think?
I don't know why people think they need to choose between the gametypes. Play both if you think they're both competitive.

iNinja5567

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
iNinja5567
I think it would be cool if there was a ranked version of Turf War and an unranked version of Splat Zones. Would that be a good idea?

The Apple BOOM

Senior Squid
NNID
TheAppleBOOM
I don't know why people think they need to choose between the gametypes. Play both if you think they're both competitive.
When running a tournament, you need to chose a single game type for the entire tournament. The modes are also nuanced enough that it is not unrealistic to think some people may get really good at one type and only be ok at another.

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
When running a tournament, you need to chose a single game type for the entire tournament. The modes are also nuanced enough that it is not unrealistic to think some people may get really good at one type and only be ok at another.
Most shooters use multiple gametypes for tournaments. The point is that a team should be good at ALL the gametypes used and not just one. Otherwise they don't deserve to win.

Halo uses gametypes like slayer, CTF, KOTH, Oddball, Neutral Bomb
CoD Black Ops uses CTF, Search and Destroy, Hardpoint

One-gametype tournaments are not the norm.

AlpacaJesus837

Full Squid
NNID
alpacajesus
I think this would be extremely beneficial to the online community as a whole due to the fact that many people enjoy the challenges that ranked battle brings. By adding more modes to the ranked system and more to the regular battle, much of the player base will be able to enjoy the different aspects of the game. No longer will ranked players have to go to regular battle to play turf war and no longer will the more casual player base have to go to ranked battle. This doesn't mean that it will separate the player base at all. There will be some that will still want to go into regular battle to level up gear or just have some more fun. This also applies to those that regularly go to regular battles. If they want a challenge they can easily get a feel for the type of game mode in regular battle, then migrate over to ranked battle with a bit more experience in that game mode.

Right Whale

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Ciano365
I think turf war just couldn't be competitive mode. I don't know how firing ink around the whole map for three minutes needs strategy, on the other hand Splat Zones fits the bill just right. Splat Zones needs strategy because of the one/two spaces on the map are always contested by both teams scrambling for control, so if you have a strategy for capturing zones, that's perfect, you can't do the same for Turf War.
Myself.png

The Apple BOOM

Senior Squid
NNID
TheAppleBOOM
I think turf war just couldn't be competitive mode. I don't know how firing ink around the whole map for three minutes needs strategy, on the other hand Splat Zones fits the bill just right. Splat Zones needs strategy because of the one/two spaces on the map are always contested by both teams scrambling for control, so if you have a strategy for capturing zones, that's perfect, you can't do the same for Turf War.View attachment 568
It does take strategy, though. I outlined it in the beginning of my overview of Turf War basics.

"There are three main sections to these maps, home base, enemy base, and the middle. These sections are all connected by 3 corridors, providing easily defensible choke points. Each of these sections have different value and priority to them.

The first in value and priority is the middle. It is equally accessible by both teams, and is the only spot that isn't replicated somewhere else on the map. If both teams hold only their base, the score is 1 to 1 in sections. If a team gets the middle, it tips to 2 to 1 for the win.

The second in value and priority is home base. Your team has a much easier time getting to and inking home than the opponent. It is less valuable than the middle, as it will not tip the scales to a win, and prioritizing it over the middle will give the enemy team the win. It is more valuable than the enemy base, though, as it is still needed to win. If the enemy inks your base while you hold the middle, and you never address it, you lose 2 to 1 in terms of sections.

The final section on the list is the enemy base. It is final in priority for two reasons. The first is that it is easily taken by the enemy as it is where they spawn. The second reason is that it isn't needed to win. If you hold your base and the middle, you win 2 to 1. The enemy base never needs to be touched.

With the basics out of the way, it is obvious that both teams will be in a constant battle over the middle, making higher level turf war matches look a lot like splat zones. It is from this natural tendency that what I like to call Line Theory comes from."

Right Whale

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Ciano365
It does take strategy, though. I outlined it in the beginning of my overview of Turf War basics.

"There are three main sections to these maps, home base, enemy base, and the middle. These sections are all connected by 3 corridors, providing easily defensible choke points. Each of these sections have different value and priority to them.

The first in value and priority is the middle. It is equally accessible by both teams, and is the only spot that isn't replicated somewhere else on the map. If both teams hold only their base, the score is 1 to 1 in sections. If a team gets the middle, it tips to 2 to 1 for the win.

The second in value and priority is home base. Your team has a much easier time getting to and inking home than the opponent. It is less valuable than the middle, as it will not tip the scales to a win, and prioritizing it over the middle will give the enemy team the win. It is more valuable than the enemy base, though, as it is still needed to win. If the enemy inks your base while you hold the middle, and you never address it, you lose 2 to 1 in terms of sections.

The final section on the list is the enemy base. It is final in priority for two reasons. The first is that it is easily taken by the enemy as it is where they spawn. The second reason is that it isn't needed to win. If you hold your base and the middle, you win 2 to 1. The enemy base never needs to be touched.

With the basics out of the way, it is obvious that both teams will be in a constant battle over the middle, making higher level turf war matches look a lot like splat zones. It is from this natural tendency that what I like to call Line Theory comes from."
Good point, it also depends on how good your team is.
Myself.png

StayPuft

Pro Squid
NNID
cellularSP
I personally find Turf War extremely casual; you can generally choose a weapon you like to use, run off on your own, and you'll be helping your team just by doing your own thing. It's sort of relaxing. I'm not saying that every Turf War match is like this, but this mode definitely supports this mindset. You also get points whether you win or lose, allowing you to gain something even if you end up failing. It's low risk, low reward in a way.

Splat Zones, on the other hand, forces you to be with your team. A lot more is on the line than Turf War; you can get NOTHING, and you also lose rank points. There is also a lot to gain, with 2000+ points and coins on the line most cases. It requires a lot more of your attention and skill than Turf War.

I think that when 4-player matchmaking comes in August, then maybe ranked Turf War could be more viable as an option with more coordinated teams. Right now I feel like Turf War should stay as an unranked, easy way to play Splatoon and relax.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I personally find Turf War extremely casual; you can generally choose a weapon you like to use, run off on your own, and you'll be helping your team just by doing your own thing. It's sort of relaxing. I'm not saying that every Turf War match is like this, but this mode definitely supports this mindset. You also get points whether you win or lose, allowing you to gain something even if you end up failing. It's low risk, low reward in a way.

Splat Zones, on the other hand, forces you to be with your team. A lot more is on the line than Turf War; you can get NOTHING, and you also lose rank points. There is also a lot to gain, with 2000+ points and coins on the line most cases. It requires a lot more of your attention and skill than Turf War.

I think that when 4-player matchmaking comes in August, then maybe ranked Turf War could be more viable as an option with more coordinated teams. Right now I feel like Turf War should stay as an unranked, easy way to play Splatoon and relax.
Well one is ranked and the other isn't, so of course one feels more casual. If ranked Turf War existed (why doesn't it?), it would definitely feel more competitive than it does (not sure Splat Zones would be much less competitive unranked though).
But yeah, I can agree with this, Turf War is a good way to relax (and a more consistent way to level gear up & get money). Hopefully August will make competitive play much easier (and give us Ranked Turf War and unranked Splat Zones/Tower Control/whatever other modes they make ranked-only).
Also, maybe they could have separate ranks for each mode (not sure how this works for other shooters with Ranked battles, maybe it wouldn't work for some reason, I dunno).

StayPuft

Pro Squid
NNID
cellularSP
Well one is ranked and the other isn't, so of course one feels more casual. If ranked Turf War existed (why doesn't it?), it would definitely feel more competitive than it does (not sure Splat Zones would be much less competitive unranked though).
But yeah, I can agree with this, Turf War is a good way to relax (and a more consistent way to level gear up & get money). Hopefully August will make competitive play much easier (and give us Ranked Turf War and unranked Splat Zones/Tower Control/whatever other modes they make ranked-only).
Also, maybe they could have separate ranks for each mode (not sure how this works for other shooters with Ranked battles, maybe it wouldn't work for some reason, I dunno).
I just feel like the gamemodes themselves, as they stand, offer themselves to be ranked and unranked. Turf War, even if it was ranked, would still allow people to go off on their own and be mildly successful (it's arguably a very good strategy to split up). Turf War, in my opinion, with random people online, will never really support true "teamwork"; sure, someone might be smart enough to sit around and protect where you're super jumping every once in a while, but there are also the people who won't notice and/or won't care to help others and just play how they want, and that's fine. I guess if there was a ranked version, people might be more aware about what to do and how to help each other out, since they'd need to be level 10, but that is also not guaranteed. Splat zones focuses on one specific area, and sort of "forces" people to work together to win with randoms.

This is all speculation on my end, and I could be wrong in how I'm interpreting things, but that is how I see things right now and sort of why Splat Zones is ranked and Turf War is not currently.

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
Turf War should have a ranked battle. I find it more fun than everyone getting splatted mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom