Should Thermal Ink Affect Subs and Specials?

ThestralZ

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1797-1352-6215
I think it should, the ability is already a little weak when compared to Ninja Squid and Respawn Punisher, and this would be a nice buff. Respawn Punisher also applies to Subs and Specials when dying to them, so it just makes sense to buff Thermal like that.

Reactions: CAR

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
I do think making it apply to every damage source would be nice, but then it kind of outclasses point sensor

Grushi

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
I don't know, it'd be nice... but do you actually want to fight a zooka that knows your location with an indirect? A crab that can aoe you from behind walls over and over?
You can already do that with the map, sure, but I don't want to make it easier tbh

Though I guess for some specials it could be cool, like for chumps it'd be an interesting effect

ThestralZ

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1797-1352-6215
I don't know, it'd be nice... but do you actually want to fight a zooka that knows your location with an indirect? A crab that can aoe you from behind walls over and over?
You can already do that with the map, sure, but I don't want to make it easier tbh

Though I guess for some specials it could be cool, like for chumps it'd be an interesting effect
My thought was that weapons like vShot or Splash would rather be running Ninja Squid (though maybe not in this meta) so they would have to worry about the opportunity cost of being able to know more easily where everyone is vs being weaker when being aggro

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
huh
what if thermal ink applied to everything, unless you're wearing ninja squid, and then it only works when main weapons directly hit you

Grushi

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
My thought was that weapons like vShot or Splash would rather be running Ninja Squid (though maybe not in this meta) so they would have to worry about the opportunity cost of being able to know more easily where everyone is vs being weaker when being aggro
That's fair, it probably wouldn't become meta defining overnight or something if that happened. Like even blob players prefer other abilities despite thermal being really good on their weapon.
I'm just worried it'd feel really cheap sometimes, though that's mostly zooka's problem. Fizzy spam could also be really annoying with it

Then again, I don't have many ideas to buff it, and it wouldn't be broken or anything, so maybe I'm just being too cautious

huh
what if thermal ink applied to everything, unless you're wearing ninja squid, and then it only works when main weapons directly hit you
Maybe ninja squid should give a light resistance to some location effects in general, since they're such a hard counter. It'd be a significant buff but I think it'd be fair.
I'm pretty sure I've already seen you talking about this before though, this isn't my idea

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
I'm pretty sure I've already seen you talking about this before though, this isn't my idea
If you got it from someone else, it wasn't me
this is the first time I've heard of it

QuagSass

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4841-6661-0032
Thermal affecting specials I think might be a bit much, even if a lot of weapons would still prefer Ninja Squid or whatever else.
Like, I'm thinking Thermal affecting specials would be insane on something like Naut, which loves the location effect of Point Sensor. Free ink refill and a long lasting Point Sensor effect that covers like the entirety of mid in some maps just sounds insane. Not that I'd complain if Ink Storm got buffed like that >:)

If Thermal were to affect specials, we'd have to draw the line on what part of the specials get the effect. Thermal Ink affecting subs could be fun though!

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
Like, I'm thinking Thermal affecting specials would be insane on something like Naut, which loves the location effect of Point Sensor. Free ink refill and a long lasting Point Sensor effect that covers like the entirety of mid in some maps just sounds insane. Not that I'd complain if Ink Storm got buffed like that >:)
wave breaker just got hard outclassed lol

ThestralZ

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1797-1352-6215
I was under the impression that Thermal Ink's range was much more limited that the effect of being located by a point sensor

QuagSass

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4841-6661-0032
I was under the impression that Thermal Ink's range was much more limited that the effect of being located by a point sensor
It is. But I don't think it's that much worse. It's not constant location, but it does tell you more of what a player is doing when it is active (are they swimming away, shooting, sharking etc.)

Babab

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-7735-7052-6321
Guys. One word. Trizooka

NeoXVIII

Inkling
I think it should work on indirects since it's the only time it would be pretty decent. The ttk in this game is super fast for non AoE weapons, if you don't kill them, then most likely the enemy will kill you instead in a skirmish. This is probably never gonna happen because of cblaster's kit, though.

I suppose it's also sort of decent on like jet squelcher and pro?

RubberCF

Senior Squid
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2041-7487-3622
No. Thermal ink needs help but i think that would be a bad idea. It would encourage sub spam without helping a lot of main weapons because it doesnt show the silhouette if they are within 15 distance units still, so for a lot of weapons it would just be an aid to sub spam. For specials i think they are just generally too good at dealing chip. It would legitimately change special balance because some now provide with you a bunch of information.
I think thermal ink should still be main only, but work within a shorter diatance, and activate off of indirect hits, albiet with a very short duration.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
The inclusion of Thermal Ink affecting subs and specials could introduce an interesting dynamic to gameplay. It would add strategic depth, encouraging players to consider their positioning and choice of abilities more carefully. However, balancing would be crucial to prevent it from becoming too overpowering or disrupting gameplay flow. Overall, it could enhance tactical decision-making and contribute to a more engaging experience for players.
ai is really good at producing a lot of content that has very little meaning. like, this could apply to 90% of changes

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom