• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Side Order: I'll most likely never spend any pearls

EnigmaZV

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-3546-2843-0897
If I buy an upgrade, but decide a different one would have been better, I'll never get that resource back, so I'll likely not spend any until I have more than I'll ever need

plantknowsyourlocation

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-7194-5500-0728
if you figure out you need the resource for something else, you probably figured that out mid-run. you then died. you get the resource back from the run.

Cephalobro

From what I have read, the upgrades are permanent, so you most likely won't lose them if you run out of lives.

lucassaur0

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2099-7367-0992
yes they are indeed permanent, side order is a roguelite, that means you have upgrades you lose and some you dont lose every run. the ones you lose are the color chips and the ones you buy with pearls stay there forever, tho i heard you can select the ammount of lives you have so maybe you can turn off any upgrade????

SwiftyTaco

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-8339-9344-3501
I'd like to see some way to remove the upgrades, kinda like in Hades where you can remove your perma upgrades and gk through the game as base Zagreus. Sounds like a fun challenge.

☆Oblivion☆

Senior Squid
Pronouns
She/Her
NNID
Oblivion_spl
Switch Friend Code
SW-8277-3410-3718
Upgrades are not the only thing you can spend perals on. There is a shop similar to salmon run as on the japanese website there is a screenshot showing stuff you can buy for your locker with them.

Cephalobro

I'd like to see some way to remove the upgrades, kinda like in Hades where you can remove your perma upgrades and gk through the game as base Zagreus. Sounds like a fun challenge.
They will most likely give you the option to remove the upgrades, that was definitely the case in the previous single-player modes.

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
hah, I am soooo badly prone to this in every game I play-- not wanting to use the currency, items, or skill points because what if I realize I need it more for something else later?? Except I say that about anything and often there is never a One Best Thing that feels worthy of it. It's a struggle and I just make everything harder for myself. But it's all worth it! Because at the end of the game I have..... a bunch of currency and items in a game I've finished and no longer have a reason to play anyway!** Wonderful.

Okay, I am learning to be less extreme about it than I used to be, but still, I understand the feeling. I feel like the key factor to me feeling comfortable spending something is "is there an infinite amount of it available to me and the only thing I need to do to obtain it is spend more time playing the game?" If so, I can be a little more chill about it, because the worst that can happen is that I spend more time playing the game, which presumably I am enjoying anyway if I am playing it at all. Where it still gets stressful is in games where I don't totally know where the resource is coming from or have a reliable way of obtaining more of it, or when I am forced to spend the resource for an opportunity to gain more of it (octo expansion actually stressed me out in this regard in the beginning, because I was struggling to still learn basic mechanics at the time and worried for at least the first several stations that I wasn't going to have a reliable way to farm up more points if I needed to.)

Anyway, all that said, the impression I get is that you can get pearls just by making attempts through the spire, in which case I'm not too worried because I can always replenish them by just making more attempts, which... I'm going to be doing a lot of anyway, seeing as that's essentially the entire game. And if that's the case, it's probably better to spend the pearls than hoard them, because spending them, even on something suboptimal, will presumably give you the ability to progress faster and collect more pearls at a faster rate, while hoarding them is basically forcing yourself to 'suffer' the exact consequence that you fear (of having spent them on something pointless and having to play longer to get more), only you're actually sitting on a pile of the very resource you desire.

I suppose this could also be general financial advice, context and economic situation depending. (Do not take financial advice from random 8-legged strangers on the internet)

** This isn't entirely true, sometimes you also have the satisfaction of essentially having played the game on 'hard mode', but when that isn't your goal and is merely a side effect of resource anxiety it isn't exactly as satisfying. Similarly, sometimes resource-hoarding is actually a good way to intentionally keep a game challenging for yourself-- you don't hoard out of anxiety but instead you get as far as you can without spending and wait until you've hit a serious wall and spending the resource is the only way over it (I did this with the upgrade points in splat3's single-player mode). But I'm not talking about either of those situations here, I'm talking specifically about hoarding out of fear of resource scarcity.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I'm a grumpy old man who thinks Rogue'lites' are a bastardization of what the original Rogue stood for, so I'm just gonna try and see if I can challenge myself to beat it without any permanent upgrades, like Ken Arnold intended.

Reactions: Pix

EnigmaZV

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-3546-2843-0897
I'm a grumpy old man who thinks Rogue'lites' are a bastardization of what the original Rogue stood for, so I'm just gonna try and see if I can challenge myself to beat it without any permanent upgrades, like Ken Arnold intended.
We grumpy old men need to stick together!
I'm just damaged from old Final Fantasy games though, where items were very scarce, so they needed to be hoarded

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom