• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Skill Stacking

Gear Skill Stacking

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
Solcalimari submitted a new guide:

Skill Stacking - Is it possible?

Hey everyone, just want to share my knowledge with you about skills, mainly skill stacking and whether you can stack the same type of skill or not. This video below should show you whether or not that is the case

This is the skill that I am using for this test (and i'm pretty sure this will be the case for every other skill).

Special Duration Up
Your special will have a longer duration.

Here's the video below:...
Read more about this guide...

Sol64

But we do not have the full list, I even read from that thread (which is pre-dated heavily before release) that the skill that I tested in the video stacks and it shows here that it doesn't.

This means that more testing is required.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
But we do not have the full list, I even read from that thread (which is pre-dated heavily before release) that the skill that I tested in the video stacks and it shows here that it doesn't.

Your video is wrong. The secondary abilities don't have as much of an effect as the main abilities. So that's why it didn't last as long as you thought it would. But it did last longer than the second test.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass

I think it either caps at a certain point or it has something to do with the type of skills you had. Were the special duration ups main skills, subs, or a mix of both? If you could say what it was for each it would help.

Sol64

I think it either caps at a certain point or it has something to do with the type of skills you had. Were the special
Your video is wrong. The secondary abilities don't have as much of an effect as the main abilities. So that's why it didn't last as long as you thought it would. But it did last longer than the second test.
The head gear had it as a main skill, the rest had them as subs.
duration ups main skills, subs, or a mix of both? If you could say what it was for each it would help.
Well you keep saying that i'm wrong. What do you want me to do?

And the head gear had it as a main skill, the rest had them as subs.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
Well you keep saying that i'm wrong. What do you want me to do?

And the head gear had it as a main skill, the rest had them as subs.
I know.. That's my point. The headgear hat it as a main, which is why it extended the duration of the Bubbler by one second and the others didn't. There's nothing I want you to do. Just know that the answer to the question in the title of this thread is 'yes'.

Sol64

I know.. That's my point. The headgear hat it as a main, which is why it extended the duration of the Bubbler by one second and the others didn't. There's nothing I want you to do. Just know that the answer to the question in the title of this thread is 'yes'.
Went ahead to test this and it turns out that...
Damn, the skill as a sub doesn't increase the duration.

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
I've been told by Judd that skills on separate equipment do not add together, and that instead whichever piece has a stronger total takes priority.

Meaning the max for any given skill is four.
How is the max four? Do you mean 1 main + 3 subs?

Sol64

I've been told by Judd that skills on separate equipment do not add together, and that instead whichever piece has a stronger total takes priority.

Meaning the max for any given skill is four.
That's not right. Judd says that the main skills have a stronger effect than the sub ones so consider them first. He's never said anything about what you have said.

Pink♡Ink☆RAVE

Inkster Jr.
NNID
StrawberryGynoid
I wish I knew more about stacking. I want to reroll for the best equipment I can for my roller.

I saw someone say that stacking has diminishing returns the more you stack. Which would be sad.
I hope we learn more about how equipment works, soon.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
How is the max four? Do you mean 1 main + 3 subs?
Yeah.

That's not right. Judd says that the main skills have a stronger effect than the sub ones so consider them first. He's never said anything about what you have said.
He randomly says stuff, and I've tested this to see if it's true. Try shooting the training balloons behind Ammo Knights with different attack up combinations and see yourself.

I wish I knew more about stacking. I want to reroll for the best equipment I can for my roller.

I saw someone say that stacking has diminishing returns the more you stack. Which would be sad.
I hope we learn more about how equipment works, soon.
The training balloons with the defense patches show this pretty well. Shoot 'em each with with a charger and compare the numbers.

NLALEX

Inkster Jr.
NNID
NLALEX
Skills are split into primary and secondary, with primary skills being significantly more potent than secondary skills.

Skills DO stack, but not in equal quantities. Having one primary damage up skill increases your weapon's damage by about 9%, but if you have two damage up skills as primaries you will not get anything close to 18%, you're looking more at a total of a 12%.

These numbers are only estimates and were (roughly) calculated on the review pre-release copy of the game which should in theory be identical but thought it was best to clarify to be sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom