Snubbed Weapons Thread

SpaceCanary

Full Squid
NNID
SpaceCanary
Have you ever noticed any good weapons that almost nobody uses, or uses well? For example, I main the N-ZAP '85 in Rainmaker, but I almost never see it used: everyone uses the tentatek or the '89. So this is a thread for expressing which weapons you think are "snubbed" and how they are best used.

Yellowkirbyguy

Senior Squid
I think both N-zaps see equal use in Rainmaker, i mean just the other day i saw a team with the 89 and the 85. You know how it is, the N-zap 89 gets used more in splat zones than the 85 because the 89 has better turfing capability than the 85 (But the 85 is still great at turfing.) The 89 has Inkstrike which you can use to clear the tower on TC or temporarily block a path in RM. It can also capture a blackbelly splatzone, and cover just enough of most other zones in some other stages (not all stages though) to make the counter stop. The 85 can be useful with it's Echolocator, and splatbombs are hardly a waste on this weapon, it's great turfing ability allows it to be a speedy zone taker, Echolocator really helps in tracking your enemies letting you know if someone's preparing a sneak attack, or where they're hiding...

As i'm not an N-zap main, what i described is probably only scratching the surface of the potential of the N-zaps. I do not believe that they are "snubbed" based on my encounters. As i see them every so often quite equally. That's from my experience.

The Nosslenoses on the other hand are "Snubbed" because of the high skill that they require. Though in all honesty, after playing with the H-3 Nosslenose then some of the L-3, they're quite deadly weapons. The L-3 is much easier to handle despite requiring "Impeccable timing" to keep a constant fire, but you don't reeeaaaallly have to be frame perfect (You can if you want though), it's fire rate allows for some speedy splats even if you miss a burst (or if you're like me and can't be frame perfect, you can still press again fast enough to warrant a splat). Plus it's Turf covering ability is pretty awesome as well. Disruptors on a weapon with range almost being equal to the 96 gals like this are a god send (You know, they slow down like a snail, become easier to hit, but they can still fire back at you though). And the Killer Wail is pretty decent too, holding off the enemy spawn, clearing the Tower, firing at Port Mackeral, it has viable uses that are pretty useful if you ask me.

If you run the L-3 D you'll find that getting a Kraken with the L-3's fire rate is not as hard as some other weapons (Like the Custom Range Blaster) so the Kraken is absurdly good on a weapon like this. Also it's a panic special, so you think you're about to die? Nope, Kraken. Alot of people get annoyed by this (including my self) but that's just how it is. Oh yeah and burst bombs are easy to throw around if you want to poke people over the other side of the walls, just don't get trigger happy with them, they're probably not as good as disruptors but it's a good asset to the weapon.

The H-3 on the other hand is hard to use when you don't run cold blooded and come across an echolocator team. (With the number of E-litres out there, this can be pretty common.) The H-3 succeeds when it gets a successful burst kill where all three shots hit and they go "Splat". But getting this burst kill is hard if the enemy knows where you are, because they could just literally step to the side, and you'd have to make two bursts to splat them. This wouldn't be so bad if the H-3 had the L-3's fire rate, but it doesn't, and it's really unforgiving against the 96 gals if you miss your shot because they can easily take you out once they see you. Against most other weapons, a missed burst usually means you have to retreat, or against the shorter ranged weapons, you might have the chance to get a second burst, but after that it's retreating time.

(Haven't played with the H-3 D as much so i can't really talk much about it. apart from Inkzooka's nice, and Pointsensors are handy)

TLDR you'll find that the Nosslenoses are quite deadly weapons in the hands of great players. Also i might add that while the Rapid Blasters don't typically see quite enough use, i still think that they're really good.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I hardly ever see rapid blasters of any kind. The pro gets some play, I think, because DUDE has shown that it can be useful, but I still don't see them often. They have a low time-to-kill and are terrible close range, so I get why. BUT, they are great at pressuring people and I've gotten some of my best K/Ds with them (as long as I can keep the right range).

Last edited:

SplatoonisBagels

Inkster Jr.
NNID
joje02
Some weapons are never seen because the players just prefer more flexible weapons such as the Tentatek or the Gals. One weapon that I can't get the hang of but is snubbed are the Bamboozlers. The Bamboozlers have a quick flick kill and have mid range, making it deadly when in the hands of an experienced player. Their kits are also amazing especially with the Mk I's Splash Wall and the Mk II's Disruptor to compromise with the Mk's weaknesses, the Disruptor to cripple foes and the Splash Wall to just, be there for defense. I've seen Bamboozler players with the highest K/D ratios of the team.

Last edited:

MSC

Inkling
NNID
qccmsc
I hardly ever see rapid blasters of any kind. The pro gets some play, I think, because DUDE has shown that is can be useful, but I still don't see them often. They have a low time-to-kill and are terrible close range, so I get why. BUT, they are great at pressuring people and I've gotten some of my best K/Ds with them (as long as I can keep the right range).
Second this. Rapid Blaster Deco is one of my favorite weapons, but I don't think I've ever seen another player use it. I have seen the Pro Deco on occasion, and the original Rapid Blaster every now and again, but never the Deco specifically.

I mean, I can see why nobody uses it. It has a very high skill floor and requires impeccable distance management. On top of that, rapid blasters require a huge amount of Dmg Up stacking to reach their full potential. But if you're good with it, I honestly think the Deco can be a viable weapon on any map/mode combo. A lot of people make the mistake (IMO) of running the original Rapid Blaster instead of the Deco, because it has Bubbler to help you out of a tight spot. And even though Bubbler is a great special, the Ink Mines are nearly useless in combat, effectively leaving you without a sub weapon. Suction Bombs are excellent for cornering your opponent (something that the Rapid Blaster is already good at) and if you need some space, throwing a bomb at your feet is a great way to make them keep their distance. The Rapid Blaster also has good ink efficiency, allowing you to keep firing for some time after throwing a bomb, and can easily perform area denial simply by shooting at the same spot until everything dies. Its only real weakness is the lack of close-quarter power.

SpaceCanary

Full Squid
NNID
SpaceCanary
The Nosslenoses on the other hand are "Snubbed" because of the high skill that they require. Though in all honesty, after playing with the H-3 Nosslenose then some of the L-3, they're quite deadly weapons. The L-3 is much easier to handle despite requiring "Impeccable timing" to keep a constant fire, but you don't reeeaaaallly have to be frame perfect (You can if you want though), it's fire rate allows for some speedy splats even if you miss a burst (or if you're like me and can't be frame perfect, you can still press again fast enough to warrant a splat). Plus it's Turf covering ability is pretty awesome as well. Disruptors on a weapon with range almost being equal to the 96 gals like this are a god send (You know, they slow down like a snail, become easier to hit, but they can still fire back at you though). And the Killer Wail is pretty decent too, holding off the enemy spawn, clearing the Tower, firing at Port Mackeral, it has viable uses that are pretty useful if you ask me.
This was one of the first things I thought of, too. As a former L-3 Nozzlenose main, I agree that they're really good. I think the burst-fire mechanic and really good accuracy turn people off. By the way, if you just spam ZR you can get Nozzlenoses and Sloshers to fire at "perfect fire rate."

The H-3 in my opinion is a bit weird, because people will often dodge the third bullet, making it worse than the L-3 many times. In either case, I think people would rather use a 96. Gal Deco.

I hardly ever see rapid blasters of any kind. The pro gets some play, I think, because DUDE has shown that it can be useful, but I still don't see them often. They have a low time-to-kill and are terrible close range, so I get why. BUT, they are great at pressuring people and I've gotten some of my best K/Ds with them (as long as I can keep the right range).
This is the other weapon that came to mind. I think the Sloshing Machines kind of soured them for many people because they're kind of similar. So the only people still using them are usually dead set on using a Bubbler (as mentioned above).

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
for some reason, when the zink mini came out, i stopped seeing vanilla tri-sloshers. these things were really popular in S and S+ but i haven't seen one in a long time. and they're a pretty good weapon too.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I second the Nozzlenoses (except maybe the Hs) wholeheartedly.

My L-3 is my deadliest weapon. It outranges an absurd about of the popular weapons AND is insanely mobile AND you can fire forever AND you have Disruptors. I see it slightly more now, though it often feels like I'm the only one using it still.

I also think the vanilla Tri-Slosher is amazing. I call it Murderpail for a reason, it can just shred through anybody who lets their guard down, plus it charges the Bubbler really fast and Disruptors are cheap.

Teeny Weeny Man

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Matt2179
Neo Splash is ridiculously good, comparable to tentatek imo. Burst bombs give it more range, and it charges Zooka faster. I've had some pretty crazy games with 20+ kills that I never would've been able to get without burst bombs.

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
It's not really about the main weapon but I never see weapons that have Disruptors in their kits. I don't think I ever got hit by one in my time playing.
But it's really good with the Rapid Blaster Pro Deco, you can make the Disruptor throw the same range as the Blaster itself, which becomes an easy kill because Disruptors are crazy good. Especially in Rainmaker. I am still wondering to this day why not more people are using them.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
It's not really about the main weapon but I never see weapons that have Disruptors in their kits. I don't think I ever got hit by one in my time playing.
But it's really good with the Rapid Blaster Pro Deco, you can make the Disruptor throw the same range as the Blaster itself, which becomes an easy kill because Disruptors are crazy good. Especially in Rainmaker. I am still wondering to this day why not more people are using them.
I'd say it's because every weapon with disruptor has a higher learning curve than most other weapons that you can easily pick up and use. Most people prefer to just use a weapon that's easier to use.

Last edited:

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I'd say it's because every weapon with disruptor has a higher learning curve than most other weapons that you can easily pick up and use. Most people prefer to just use a weapon that's easier use.
The vanilla Tri-Slosher has Disruptors and is pretty easy to use, in my opinion. You barely have to aim! : P

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
I'll have to say the Slosher Deco since I just started to learn it. For various reasons people prefer the same kit on the .96 Gal Deco as it has longer range and faster fire rate along with more shots before low ink. The sloshing mechanic is so unique and can result in multi kills or surprise kills that the gal couldn't do. The Slosher is also 100% accurate, which can be a double edged sword, so certain scenarios that a gal might miss several times and lose the kill the Slosher will hit.

Skepticpunk

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SkepticPunk
I have to agree with the opinions given about the Nozzlenose. The H-3, in particular, due to how much it punishes you for missing a shot and how the burst-fire mechanic messes with your aim. The L-3 at least has a kit with Burst Bombs to help it kill in one burst, but the H-3 has to hit with all three shots to one-burst someone. It has awesome range, great accuracy and kills faster than a Splattershot, but nobody wants to use it due to how hard it is to use.

The Bamboozler faces similar issues. Even though the time between the first charged shot landing and an uncharged shot landing is (again) less time to kill than a Tentatek, the accuracy required to use it, the fact that you need the first shot to land to be a charged one, and the fact that you have to manage charging while staying fairly close to your opponents means that people don't use it that often.

The Heavy Splatling is a pretty good weapon that suffers from some flaws. It doesn't need anywhere close to a full charge to kill, but to get the most range out of it, it needs to charge the first ring, which means that you're standing there, completely defenseless, for about a full second before firing. This might not sound that bad, but if somebody throws a Suction Bomb or Splat Bomb at you, you pretty much have to swim away before it explodes, causing you to lose your charge. This means more time wasted charging it up while the enemies gain ground. The Jet Squelcher, while not killing or covering ink as quickly, is a more mobile weapon that's much better at the same job the Splatling does because it doesn't have to charge every time you need to move somewhere quickly, and the Custom variation, when paired with one Damage Up main and sub, can kill in one shot after throwing a Burst Bomb.

Tuff

Full Squid
NNID
Wolfysmash
The Sloshing Machine is my fav weapon that no one uses because it's so goofy but I love the heck out of it. Really fun but not always the best option.

Albatross

Senior Squid
NNID
Zacrowski
The L-3s have it the hardest probably. The weapons are usable, but not many people want to put in the work. Regular L-3 is highly underrated.

Bamboozler's popularity, seems to be at least, rising in high level play so I don't know if I would still call it snubbed. Same with Splatlings.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
The L-3s have it the hardest probably. The weapons are usable, but not many people want to put in the work. Regular L-3 is highly underrated.

Bamboozler's popularity, seems to be at least, rising in high level play so I don't know if I would still call it snubbed. Same with Splatlings.
I'm seeing a few more vanilla and D L-3s now besides myself. I think the vanilla L-3 is an excellent support and scout-killer weapon, while the D is more of a straight up killer.

And I don't think that the L-3 is THAT hard to use. I started becoming proficient with it after about a week, not even using it exclusively, and I'm not even close to being a top player. I feel like the Splatlings have a far higher curve.

JFL

Senior Squid
NNID
AldricJFL
l do see quite a bit of Rapid Blasters and L3 Nozzlenoses in ranked. l don't think they're that uncommon.

Rare weapons from my experience would be both Aerosprays, Custom Splattershot Jr, regular Jet Squelcher, Tri Slosher Deco, regular Inkbrush, both H3 Nozzlenoses and of course .52 Gal Deco and regular .96.

NineWholeGrains

Inkster Jr.
NNID
xcrunner39
I'll go to my grave believing the N-Zap '85 is underrated.

- The gun specs are serviceable. Range of a Tentatek with the fire rate of a Jr? Heck yeah.
- Splat Bombs cover weaknesses at a distance and give the gun a safe pressure option.
- Echolocator builds extremely quick and does Echolocator stuff.

From my observations, the reason this gun doesn't see a lot of play is because it functions as more of a support weapon. In Solo Queue, where you only make it to the top by carrying with/against randoms, it's difficult to really utilize the weapon to its fullest strength. In addition, the prominence of E-Liters and Dynamos mean that Echolocator is already plenty common in the meta. There just isn't enough of a niche that the weapon carves out to be needed, regardless of how good it may be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom