• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

So I'm awful, and I don't know where else to ask

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid
Alright, so I picked up this game for about a month and I've been going up and down B to B+ and occasionally dropping down to B- on bad days (mostly hovering around B rank) and I'm at level 34. I have alright KD ratios (I think). My primary weapons are the tri-slosher, custom jet squelcher, and the e-liter 3k scope, though I occasionally use dual squelcher, splattershot jr, and kelp splatterscope for more specific modes/maps (I'm trying to get better with weapons like the splash-o-matic and the lunar blaster neo but I'm not having much luck, and I've barely used rollers or brushes since they seem awkward to use for me). I'm awful at tower control, and while my equipment I think is alright, I don't know if it compliments my weapons that well (btw I'm too lazy to savescum, but I'll do it if I really have to).

Like I'm not necessarily asking for advice to get to S rank since I believe I'll find a way to get there once I get pass B (though advice is appreciated nevertheless), but I really want to get into A rank and I'm not sure how to improve aside from just getting better equipment.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
In my experience, and this includes starting over from scratch two times (long story), there are sharp increases in the level of play as you go through the ranks. One of them is in the B+ range where you are.

For improving play, there are some guides online and in this forum which are helpful.

But I'd also recommend you watch videos on YouTube. In particular, I'd recommend Fowskate's "S-rank adventure" series on YouTube where he goes from C- to S. He's a very experienced and skilled gamer. You can learn a lot from watching a skilled player, getting a feel for how they play.

A couple a things worth noting. As you go up in rank the gameplay gets faster—meaning, the players will surprise you and splat you faster and just overall play faster. You need to be able to act and react faster. Also, a really great thing to be aware of is being careful of 'overextending' yourself in situations you can't handle. And be very aware of where enemy ink is—don't just go charging through enemy ink and not expect to be splatted. Inking up enemy ink can be really useful for you and your team. And also, if you don't already, try and have a general plan for how to approach situations that benefit your team. Going into a fight head-on can be useful but pulling off a good flank can be game deciding.

Hope that helps. I'm sure you'll get a lot of advice.

Last edited:

Silentium

Senior Squid
One thing I always do is analyze myself, my choices, and how the other players have been doing. This means thinking stuff over and asking questions such as:
What was I doing before I got splatted? What that such a good idea? Did that lead to my death?
How are my teammates acting? Can I play around with how they're acting? Can I work around it?
Was this a good weapon to use on this map?
Was doing one action over another really a good idea?
What could I do to improve my immediate situation?
That one guy keeps on nailing me. What could I do to at least avoid not getting nailed?
And so on and so fourth. Basically, think about what you're doing and what else you could've done. Getting better all comes down to acknowledging what you're doing wrong and then fixing it.
Of course, as Jsilva said, looking up guides and videos will help out greatly.

A couple a things worth noting. As you go up in rank the gameplay gets faster—meaning, the players will surprise you and splat you faster and just overall play faster. You need to be able to act and react faster. Also, a really great thing to be aware of is being careful of 'overextending' yourself in situations you can't handle. And be very aware of where enemy ink is—don't just go charging through enemy ink and not expect to be splatted. Inking up enemy ink can be really useful for you and your team. And also, if you don't already, try and have a general plan for how to approach situations that benefit your team. Going into a fight head-on can be useful but pulling off a good flank can be game deciding.
The skill of the players exponentially increase as the ranked levels linearly increase. A B ranked person can solo an entire C ranked team, and an A ranked player can solo an entire B ranked team. In short, don't expect ranking up to be a cake walk. You really have to work to earn it.

VideoGameVirtuoso

Pro Squid
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
Alright, so I picked up this game for about a month and I've been going up and down B to B+ and occasionally dropping down to B- on bad days (mostly hovering around B rank) and I'm at level 34. I have alright KD ratios (I think). My primary weapons are the tri-slosher, custom jet squelcher, and the e-liter 3k scope, though I occasionally use dual squelcher, splattershot jr, and kelp splatterscope for more specific modes/maps (I'm trying to get better with weapons like the splash-o-matic and the lunar blaster neo but I'm not having much luck, and I've barely used rollers or brushes since they seem awkward to use for me). I'm awful at tower control, and while my equipment I think is alright, I don't know if it compliments my weapons that well (btw I'm too lazy to savescum, but I'll do it if I really have to).

Like I'm not necessarily asking for advice to get to S rank since I believe I'll find a way to get there once I get pass B (though advice is appreciated nevertheless), but I really want to get into A rank and I'm not sure how to improve aside from just getting better equipment.
If you want to improve, I recommend reading this guide below:

http://squidboards.com/guides/the-tactics-primer-v1-0.11/

Back in the B+ days, I started increasing my sensitivity, and due to that, my playstyle became more aggressive due to my increase in confidence. That may help you on the battlefield, if your reaction time is slow.

Otherwise, weapons and equipment do not completely comprise the player. Their playstyle determines what decisions they will make in various time intervals. Make sure that what weapon and equipment you are using translate well into your thought process, as well as making you comfortable.

Quilavaflare

Senior Squid
NNID
Quilavaflare
It doesn't actually sound like you're doing all that bad to me. It took me close to one and a half months to get out of B range alone, let alone everything before that. And I know a few people who took even longer than that or are still there. Just keep on playing and experiencing, and skills will come with time. (Especially things like map knowledge and recognizing others' play styles based on weapon choice, etc.)

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
Otherwise, weapons and equipment do not completely comprise the player. Their playstyle determines what decisions they will make in various time intervals. Make sure that what weapon and equipment you are using translate well into your thought process, as well as making you comfortable.
Definitely important!

Zolda

Full Squid
Looks like you've already gotten some really good advice, the main thing I would add is to focus on building map awareness. Having good map awareness is key to preventing yourself from getting ambushed and making sure you're the one ambushing opponents when possible. I found that one of the best ways to develop strong map awareness is to practice a weapon that is highly aggressive and oriented toward hunting opponents, such as the Sploosh-o-matic.

The Sploosh has such short range that you never want to engage an enemy until you're right on top of them and it's too late for them to react. Playing a Sploosh forces you to be very aware of enemy positioning so that you can find the most efficient and stealthy path towards them while also watching for any of their teammates who might catch you. I played the Sploosh for a bit and during that time my map awareness increased drastically, so even if it's not a weapon you're interested in using extensively I would still highly recommend using it for a bit to increase this ability.

The other part of map awareness involves paying more attention to the minimap so you can get a general idea of what the field looks like, as well as watch for where enemy ink is moving so you can locate advancing opponents. It's also good to know exactly where your teammates are and what they're doing, as well as to watch for beacons from both your own team and your opponents. Paying attention to the minimap sounds like a simple thing to do, and it is, but too many players neglect it far more than they should.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Being able to use a variety of weapons is a good skill to have, but I think you should focus on using only one weapon for now. Pick the one that you like the most, or are best with, and keep playing with that one. If you try to spread out too much in the beginning, I think you'll be overwhelmed by the completely different mechanics and play style of each weapon. By focusing on one weapon (or weapon type), I think you'll be able to advance much faster, since you'll get a lot better much sooner with one weapon rather than taking forever to get good with every weapon.

I'm a decent example of this, as I did a lot of exploring in B rank. I would go back and forth between weapons like the Squiffer and the Slosher, trying to find a style I could work with, but they all seemed unassailable. Eventually I unlocked the Luna Blaster, stuck with it, and haven't looked back since. I made it up to A in a matter of days (between countless drops back to B, I assure you, along with many more drops from S to A) and I usually get the most kills in any given match (it usually comes with having the most deaths as well, since the Luna is a high-risk high-reward kinda weapon).

I'm not saying to give up on every other weapon, just to focus on getting better with one. I use the Tri-Slosher and the Hero Charger (just a fancy looking Splat Charger) fairly often, but my skill with them pales in comparison to the Luna Blaster/Neo. Some maps just don't work out with some weapons (Bluefin Depot can get really difficult for me with the Luna, depending on the mode), but even then there are a lot of workarounds and counters for certain weapons that you'll discover by maintaining the same weapon. For example, Snipers used to eat me alive at Bluefin Depot, but I've found that sneaking just below them is fairly easy when they're not focused on you, and from there it's an easy kill. It can also be seen against the Gal series and their Splash Walls (this is for Splat Zones mostly). Planting an ink mine where they tend to stand behind the wall catches them by surprise the majority of the time. I know that I'm just giving you meaningless strategies unless you're using the Luna Blaster, but I wanted to show you what I meant by learning counters and such. This is the kinda stuff that has become my saving grace, so I thought I'd recommend it.

Also, if you need advice on anything, you can start a conversation with me about it if you'd like.

I wish you the best~

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet

Survival is a MUST in Ranked, the less you get splatted, the better. One way to help improve your play is knowing what battles you can win and which ones you can't. You mentioned that the Jet and Dual Squelcher are your mains so I'll be using those to illustrate my point (I main the Dual Squelcher and have a fair amount of experience with it). Also note, this is generally speaking. Many other factors come into play when choosing your battles like the map, team composition, and the skill of the enemy.

Squelchers have good range and an okay fire rate (with the Dual being the faster of the two) and you'll playing the range game with many weapons. When you see an enemy, think "If I approach them, can I win the fight?". If you're 100% sure, go for it. If you have some doubt, don't even try it. For example, you can easily out-range an Areospray, therefore giving you the upper hand in the fight. However, say you see a Dynamo or a range Blaster. These fights are in their favor since they can pretty much reach you and have better kill power to boot. You would want to avoid getting into a confrontation with them. Chargers... avoid. The range game doesn't work on them, not even on Squiffers. When you get into a mirror match (Jet/Dual Squelcher v. Jet/Dual Squelcher) or a weapon that has the same range as you, still ask yourself "Can I win the fight?". If you don't feel confident, retreat.

Knowing what fights you can win or lose will take some experience. Some weapons can surprise you. Just keep your weapons' capabilities in mind and make your calls accordingly. As the Splat Zone guide says: "Don't be a hero".

Power

Inkling Commander
Here is some quick advice I would like to give.

-Evaluate patterns you see in players movements, based on their weapons, obstacles and ink coverage in the area.
-Don't be super aggressive if someone is running away, as that is easy bait for a teammate to kill ya, or they have something up their sleeve. Also, if someone just easily reveals themselves after a standoff or just charges right at you, that pretty much = Special.
-Another thing to focus on is which parts of the map lead to an easier chance to trap an opponent, (say after they climb up something, fall down something etc.) Recognizing this type of thing and than exploiting it can lead to solid control of your surrounding area. This does not necessarily mean a kill, but a sort of intimidation into the enemy, as them making a move towards you will usually result in a trade or their death. (You must be very vigilant, and even pretend to be distracted as a form of baiting them)

This very broadly covers a lot of one on one situations in my experience.

In regards to team situations, and playing the numbers game. If you are really confident in your ability to manipulate obstacles and blindspots, than go ahead and try to pull a 2v1. It is not always ideal, and I will just ignorantly assume that a player of your rank shouldn't be attempting these kinds of things, so I would simply say to avoid situations in which you are prone to getting double teamed. Think about the different areas/positions around you which make 2vs1s easier to pull off (trapping you) for the enemy, and avoid them as much as possible

Something to keep in mind, don't try and be a hero, which was probably stated earlier. Just mindlessly rushing in for a trade when all of your buddies are dead is just not good, as several different plays could develop if you stay alive.

If one guy is just completely stopping your team, find a way to interrupt their actions,(Think bombs, distracting shots, sometimes specials, or just going behind EVERYONE) even for a brief moment, as something could develop from that instead of being locked down. If multiple enemies are like this, this is kind of the part where luck comes into play as your teammates will have to do something also (unless you just go absolute nuts, which isn't likely) Continuing from the locked down thing, get the enemy out of position, scramble them. Try to be as deceptive as possible and you could get a key kill or 2 while doing this. (obviously teammates do play a factor into this aspect)

Now I will shortly touch upon objective based play, the thing everyone should focus on. Splat zones seems kind of self explanatory, so I will leave that out for now. Tower control is about pushes and knowing when to push. Is this team suicide push worth it? Should I superjump to tower knowing full well I am going to die just for a few extra points? It depends on the situation, but it is something you have to pay attention to when playing it. Similar things with rainmaker, knowing whether this push is worth dying for, or if you should wait just a little bit more could really change how much of a lead you will gain.

I will remind you that it is a process, and these things take a while to develop, especially as the speed of the game increases as you climb the ranks. Just keep truckin, and most importantly,(as cliche as it sounds) have fun with it.

P.S: As a 3k scope user, I feel it was far easier to develop the abuse of enemy thought processes, game mechanics,ink control and obstacles as you are usually observing what is going on during the match and picking your time to strike, instead of being in the heat of fire as the non charger weapons are. (Pattern recognition would thus be easier as it is seen more often) Also finding creative ways to escape as a charger has paid off greatly in my movement with other weapons, but the same may be said from experienced blasters and rollers. I can't speak on behalf of other weapon users and their thoughts on this, so this idea could be pretty invalid. Just a thought I felt like sharing.

NNID
m0nkeyd0g
(btw I'm too lazy to savescum, but I'll do it if I really have to).
First, please don't savescum. It only makes the game worse for others, and in a way, worse for yourself too. You'd just be cheating yourself, as some coach I had in middle school would say, or something.

Anyway, I'll try to be brief: I was about where you are now after about 2 months with the game, playing somewhat infrequently (mostly on weekends because of school), and now, another month later, I'm solidly A rank and moving between A and A+.

When I was still in the B range I moved around a lot too, and for a couple weeks I was stuck moving between A- and B+. I'm not really sure what happened, I guess I just got better at the game. My advice would be to just keep trying new weapons in hopes of finding the ones that most suit you, because for me, the weapons that I consider my "mains" now, I rarely even used at all while I was B rank (I can't imagine why I ever used some of the weapons I did while in B rank).

Dreamy Luigi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DreamyZack
Some simple quick points
-Swim Speed
-Positioning, getting into a positon where you can shoot them when they're not looking, easier to just kills. (swim speed^^) Also make sure' your team' is spread across the map so you won't get wiped as easily and you can pressure in multiple areas.
-Map awareness, something you just have to build.
-If you think you might die, you probably will, so get out as quickly as possible (swim speed ^^)

Instead of trying to win a 1v2 head on, try finding a way to easily get behind them and get a half wipe. My play improved a lot when I started using all these points.

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid
Wow lol, didn't expect this much advice, thanks!

But I'd also recommend you watch videos on YouTube. In particular, I'd recommend Fowskate's "S-rank adventure" series on YouTube where he goes from C- to S. He's a very experienced and skilled gamer. You can learn a lot from watching a skilled player, getting a feel for how they play.
Ech, I don't have that much time to watch vids (I don't have too much time to play splatoon alone), but at least I have this resource I can go back on. Are there any shorter guides I can take a quick glance at that would help?

A couple a things worth noting. As you go up in rank the gameplay gets faster—meaning, the players will surprise you and splat you faster and just overall play faster. You need to be able to act and react faster. Also, a really great thing to be aware of is being careful of 'overextending' yourself in situations you can't handle. And be very aware of where enemy ink is—don't just go charging through enemy ink and not expect to be splatted. Inking up enemy ink can be really useful for you and your team. And also, if you don't already, try and have a general plan for how to approach situations that benefit your team. Going into a fight head-on can be useful but pulling off a good flank can be game deciding
I've been doing that already, I just think I need to work on it more. I keep on underestimating the range and power of rollers and that get's me killed a lot. And Blasters eat me alive in tower control. Well in general, but mostly in tower control.

What was I doing before I got splatted? What that such a good idea? Did that lead to my death?
Yeah, I ask myself that a lot, but sometimes it's hard to tell how much of it was bad decision making and how much was it user error, if the exchange was actually worth it, or if the opponent was just smart and outplayed me.

How are my teammates acting? Can I play around with how they're acting? Can I work around it?
I think I have a tendency to over-rely on my teammates. Sometimes I dive in expecting that they'll cover my right side and then misread the situation and get flanked killing at least one of us. I get lots of kills in many games and sometimes low deaths, but I still lose quite often, making me believe I probably have bad teamwork.

Was this a good weapon to use on this map?
I've actually been wondering. Is it better to simply stick to one weapon? Sometimes I get the feeling that certain weapons are just objectively worse than others on certain maps/modes. This is probably not the best example, but I can usually make the tri-slosher work on tower control, but e-liters are substantially more difficult to use since you have to constantly be moving and e-liters don't exactly have the best charge up time. But I wonder how much of that is me just coming up with excuses.

Of course, as Jsilva said, looking up guides and videos will help out greatly.
Do you have any you'd personally recommend?

In short, don't expect ranking up to be a cake walk. You really have to work to earn it.
Oh trust me, I don't expect it to be a cake walk (especially w/ my experience with other comp. games). I only came here because I felt I wasn't improving at all, and I thought I'd probably learn a thing or to by asking.

Thanks!
4.) In unorganized, it is almost always going to be optimal to pick a shooter. Because of the random matching, playing roller or charger is more likely to end with you having a bad team comp with multiples of either. Shooter is the only class where having more than one will consistently work out.
Oh. I'm probably still going to stick with the bucket and my snipers.

Back in the B+ days, I started increasing my sensitivity, and due to that, my playstyle became more aggressive due to my increase in confidence. That may help you on the battlefield, if your reaction time is slow.
Never actually thought of trying that, will experiment.

It doesn't actually sound like you're doing all that bad to me. It took me close to one and a half months to get out of B range alone, let alone everything before that. And I know a few people who took even longer than that or are still there. Just keep on playing and experiencing, and skills will come with time. (Especially things like map knowledge and recognizing others' play styles based on weapon choice, etc.)
Thanks for the encouragement. Like I said before, I know that practice makes perfect, but I felt I hit a block and needed to find answers.

The Sploosh has such short range that you never want to engage an enemy until you're right on top of them and it's too late for them to react. Playing a Sploosh forces you to be very aware of enemy positioning so that you can find the most efficient and stealthy path towards them while also watching for any of their teammates who might catch you. I played the Sploosh for a bit and during that time my map awareness increased drastically, so even if it's not a weapon you're interested in using extensively I would still highly recommend using it for a bit to increase this ability.
This is actually amazing advice, thanks. I'll probably use the Splash-o-matic though; it feels more natural and it pretty much has about the same range too. I'm probably going to grind it out in Turf Wars.

The other part of map awareness involves paying more attention to the minimap so you can get a general idea of what the field looks like, as well as watch for where enemy ink is moving so you can locate advancing opponents. It's also good to know exactly where your teammates are and what they're doing, as well as to watch for beacons from both your own team and your opponents. Paying attention to the minimap sounds like a simple thing to do, and it is, but too many players neglect it far more than they should.
Yeah, I definitely learned the importance of the minimap after playing in Arowana Mall a lot, but I should probably look at it more on different maps. Thanks.

Being able to use a variety of weapons is a good skill to have, but I think you should focus on using only one weapon for now. Pick the one that you like the most, or are best with, and keep playing with that one. If you try to spread out too much in the beginning, I think you'll be overwhelmed by the completely different mechanics and play style of each weapon. By focusing on one weapon (or weapon type), I think you'll be able to advance much faster, since you'll get a lot better much sooner with one weapon rather than taking forever to get good with every weapon.
I thought about focusing on one weapon too, but I found myself just burning out a lot. I used an e-liter 3k scope for a long time, but I'd occasionally get bad losing streaks. Switching to the tri-slosher or the custom jet squelcher occasionally brings me back on to my feet. It might also be a case of map inexperience or just map disadvantage, so there's that too. I pretty much stay away from rollers and brushes for the reasons you've stated.

Survival is a MUST in Ranked, the less you get splatted, the better. One way to help improve your play is knowing what battles you can win and which ones you can't. You mentioned that the Jet and Dual Squelcher are your mains so I'll be using those to illustrate my point (I main the Dual Squelcher and have a fair amount of experience with it). Also note, this is generally speaking. Many other factors come into play when choosing your battles like the map, team composition, and the skill of the enemy.
Is surviving always a must? Or are exchanges usually not worth it? Sometimes I can't tell in the heat of the game.

In regards to team situations, and playing the numbers game. If you are really confident in your ability to manipulate obstacles and blindspots, than go ahead and try to pull a 2v1. It is not always ideal, and I will just ignorantly assume that a player of your rank shouldn't be attempting these kinds of things, so I would simply say to avoid situations in which you are prone to getting double teamed. Think about the different areas/positions around you which make 2vs1s easier to pull off (trapping you) for the enemy, and avoid them as much as possible
Yeah, I know not to run into 2v1 (usually because my weapons don't generally favor close quarters combat) unless I have a bucket and can catch both my surprise from a vantage point. The problem is that sometimes I don't know when I'm getting in a 2v1 and that often kills me.

P.S: As a 3k scope user, I feel it was far easier to develop the abuse of enemy thought processes, game mechanics,ink control and obstacles as you are usually observing what is going on during the match and picking your time to strike, instead of being in the heat of fire as the non charger weapons are. (Pattern recognition would thus be easier as it is seen more often) Also finding creative ways to escape as a charger has paid off greatly in my movement with other weapons, but the same may be said from experienced blasters and rollers. I can't speak on behalf of other weapon users and their thoughts on this, so this idea could be pretty invalid. Just a thought I felt like sharing.
Thanks for the advice. I always use 3k scope since
A. the scope helps me aim better. I've seen people do crazy videos using a regular 3k sniping the **** out of everyone and I've tried to replicate it but I just couldn't, and I'm often far more accurate and sometimes even faster with the scope.
B. Burst bombs are immensely helpful for escaping close quarters fights and slipping through enemy ink. In fact they're so helpful that I can't go back to the custom e-liter because I'm so used to burst bombs (though I've heard that beacons are useful for tower control since they can act also as shields)
C. Echolocator is helpful for preventing flanks, and it also helps my teammates (I imagine to a helpful degree). I miss Kraken sometimes from the custom set, but the burst bombs make it worth it.

I switch to the kelp splatterscope in certain maps in splat zones because bomb rush helps for taking back enemy ground and it often helps to be a bit more mobile in sacrifice for range. I've had minimal experience with the squiffer and I'm giving it a shot in turf wars and see what I can make of it.

First, please don't savescum. It only makes the game worse for others, and in a way, worse for yourself too. You'd just be cheating yourself, as some coach I had in middle school would say, or something
I will never, ever savescum to get better ranks since that really just defeats the point of improving in the first place.

However, I do consider savescumming equipment because **** RNG roulettes. I'd rather not have to either wait for another splatfest or grind for money just to get ****ed over by RNG for the hundredth time.

Thanks for the advice guys! I sort of skimmed through some parts since it's really late, so I'll give it another read once I'm not swamped with work. Thanks once again guys!

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Someone should start a footage critique thread around here so that people can get feedback on their gameplay. Would be more helpful to people and help "de-clutter" the subforum a bit.

At least that's what I think. I would do it myself but nah.

Power

Inkling Commander
Wow lol, didn't expect this much advice, thanks!
Yeah, I know not to run into 2v1 (usually because my weapons don't generally favor close quarters combat) unless I have a bucket and can catch both my surprise from a vantage point. The problem is that sometimes I don't know when I'm getting in a 2v1 and that often kills me.
One thing I would suggest is to observe and patiently advance towards enemy ink (inking along the way) so you can't be trapped so easily. (think burst bombs as a 3k) Another thing is to use cover, so there would be less things to pay attention to and you have something to fall back on. If the area is covered a lot with enemy ink, it is safer to assume that a few players would be there. If this is the case, holding your position or going another route may be worth it, unless you can pull one kill. Also, if a couple of your teammates are dead, it would be safer to hold your position in safe ink than to slowly advance, as the likelihood of being double teamed increases.

Hope this helps!

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
Ech, I don't have that much time to watch vids (I don't have too much time to play splatoon alone), but at least I have this resource I can go back on. Are there any shorter guides I can take a quick glance at that would help?
I haven't watched entire series :) Perhaps you could just watch the video that's relevant to your rank right now. Even though he's better than the average B+ player, maybe you can see what the level of play looks like to get you to A-. Here's the particular video in question, where he goes from B+ to A-:

Silentium

Senior Squid
Yeah, I ask myself that a lot, but sometimes it's hard to tell how much of it was bad decision making and how much was it user error, if the exchange was actually worth it, or if the opponent was just smart and outplayed me.

I think I have a tendency to over-rely on my teammates. Sometimes I dive in expecting that they'll cover my right side and then misread the situation and get flanked killing at least one of us. I get lots of kills in many games and sometimes low deaths, but I still lose quite often, making me believe I probably have bad teamwork.

I've actually been wondering. Is it better to simply stick to one weapon? Sometimes I get the feeling that certain weapons are just objectively worse than others on certain maps/modes. This is probably not the best example, but I can usually make the tri-slosher work on tower control, but e-liters are substantially more difficult to use since you have to constantly be moving and e-liters don't exactly have the best charge up time. But I wonder how much of that is me just coming up with excuses.

Do you have any you'd personally recommend?

Oh trust me, I don't expect it to be a cake walk (especially w/ my experience with other comp. games). I only came here because I felt I wasn't improving at all, and I thought I'd probably learn a thing or to by asking.
First, you can never truly know what would have happened if you decided to do something differently, or if the encounter was really worth it. Most of the time you probably won't make the absolute best decision. It comes down to being tactical enough to make a good one, or at least avoiding bad ones. As you gain more experience, you can better tell what will make a decision either good or bad.

Secondly, relying on your teammates is not the same as working around them. While you can and should rely on them at times, you shouldn't rely on them all the time. What can you rely on them to do, and what can't you rely on them to do? Another way to think about it: fill in the rolls they aren't filling. For example, if no one is going after the objective, maybe you should be the one to charge in. Or maybe everyone is going after the objective. In that case, be more supportive.

Thirdly, relying on only one weapon is a bad idea. No one weapon is good on every map in every gamemode in every situation. Try out other weapons and diversify. I would say get good with at least a handful of weapons. That way, if you seem to be having bad luck with one weapon, you'll have a few more to choose from. I would also test out a few play styles for similar reasons.

And fourthly, no, I unfortunately don't have any guides to personally recommend. Nintendome has some good videos, but outside of that I don't really have much.

StaffofSmashing

Senior Squid
NNID
Lolu83
If you have map control in Splat Zones you win. Basically, you want to ink an area around the zone as well as the zone. The entirety of the mid for Kelp Dome, their main ramps and high platform in Moray Towers, Left and right box as well as at least behind their crate in Walleye, etc.

If you have a 2 person advantage, push the rainmaker or tower (3 v 1 or 4 v 2, or 2 v 0 is you're lucky).

Also pick up the Dynamo it's broken lol.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
If you have map control in Splat Zones you win. Basically, you want to ink an area around the zone as well as the zone. The entirety of the mid for Kelp Dome, their main ramps and high platform in Moray Towers, Left and right box as well as at least behind their crate in Walleye, etc. Also pick up the Dynamo it's broken lol.
You can't really give advice like this without explaining how to actually do it. You might as well be telling him "get good at Splatoon." You need to ink an area around the zone. Okay. How do you do this when the enemy already has turf control? How do you keep the other people from inking it over you? What kind of weapons do you suggest attempting to do this with? (if he uses a blaster, this isn't happening).
I agree that the Dynamo is pretty op, but it's certainly not broken. It's so abhorrently slow that it takes considerable skill to survive in any close-quarter fight, as you have to pause for an immense amount of time before your attack finally unfolds. Using the weapon on grounds that it's an unfair weapon kinda takes the whole point of getting better away, especially if he ends up depending on spamming the Dynamo's attack over and over.. If he's going to attempt to be successful with a weapon just by spamming it, he won't make it past B+. The Dynamo Roller, like any other weapon, still takes the same amount of practice to use successfully against higher ranked opponents. All the Dynamo users in rank S play smart and crafty; They don't just stand there and spam it (usually, anyways). It'd be okay if you were recommending it on the grounds that it is easy to use effectively and can help give you a bit of a grasp on battling tactics and weapon ranges, as opposed to it just being an overpowered, un-nerfable weapon.
1kdDpjx.jpg
I just don't think that it's a good mindset to try and cheat yourself this way, especially on a game that takes so much practice and is so taxing that I literally went out of my way to make a thread dedicated to complaining about the losing streaks. All that would do is set him up for lots of them.

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid
I played last night and went from B 54 to B+ 30 and dropped to B 8 and got to B 34.

****. I really felt I had it before I started getting trunched lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom