So I'm awful, and I don't know where else to ask

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid
I've seen some people recommend motion controls. I know their not awful, but do they really make that much of a difference?

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I've seen some people recommend motion controls. I know their not awful, but do they really make that much of a difference?
Yes, absolutely. Aiming is so much more easier with motion controls, especially with Chargers.

Crimsoninkling

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
BramWildenberg
Watching Nintendome and Squidsnextdoor helped me a lot. I still suck at platzone.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
YES.

They take forever to get used to, but you'll eventually be able to turn your character like you're turning your own head. That crucial aiming speed will make you better with literally every weapon. For example, I use the Luna, and the motion controls makes it much easier for me to sneak under an enemy, change my view to behind me (that's where the enemy's now at), and splat. For how fast I do it, it'd be impossible to do with the basic control, at least without practice. Even then, the location of the stick makes it kinds wonky to use all the time. I tend to use the stick for horizontal movement, and motion for vertical.

PolygonGeorge

Inkster Jr.
Absolutely yes, its one of the most accurate and quick input methods, only behind using a mouse and keyboard. You should really try and get used to them, it will help you a lot!

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Absolutely yes, its one of the most accurate and quick input methods, only behind using a mouse and keyboard. You should really try and get used to them, it will help you a lot!
I'd take gyro controls over a mouse and keyboard any day. It's way too wonky.

PolygonGeorge

Inkster Jr.
I'd take gyro controls over a mouse and keyboard any day. It's way too wonky.
That's fair enough I guess. Each to their own :) I've grown up playing PC games so that's probably why they're more natural to me.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
That's fair enough I guess. Each to their own :) I've grown up playing PC games so that's probably why they're more natural to me.
Well I only just started playing the Mass Effect series about a week ago on my laptop, and that's the first time I've ever used it. Even then, I'll pretty soon have an Xbox controller that connects to it.

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid
Finally made it to A- rank yaaaaaaaay

It only took forever. I'm dabbling in a lot of different weapons right now in Turf Wars because I randomly picked up .96 Gal Deco for ****s and that weapon got me to A- rank. This also mostly happened during the Piranha Pit rotations, so I'm sort of afraid that the combination of the new map and just the weapon being so good carried me to A- rank. I don't last very long in A- rank, but once I demote to B+ I pretty much get back to A- immediately. I'm trying out the Mini Splatling and Heavy Splatling Guns, using non-scope snipers, the Forge Splattershot Pro, Classic Squiffer (which I've pretty much given up on), Luna Blaster (also given up on), and Octobrush (really fun, might consider using it for ranked). Also trying out gyro controls. It's extremely difficult to get used to so I put it on really low sensitivity for now, and I think I'm getting slightly better.

Thanks guys, hopefully I'll get to S rank one day.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Finally made it to A- rank yaaaaaaaay

It only took forever. I'm dabbling in a lot of different weapons right now in Turf Wars because I randomly picked up .96 Gal Deco for ****s and that weapon got me to A- rank. This also mostly happened during the Piranha Pit rotations, so I'm sort of afraid that the combination of the new map and just the weapon being so good carried me to A- rank. I don't last very long in A- rank, but once I demote to B+ I pretty much get back to A- immediately. I'm trying out the Mini Splatling and Heavy Splatling Guns, using non-scope snipers, the Forge Splattershot Pro, Classic Squiffer (which I've pretty much given up on), Luna Blaster (also given up on), and Octobrush (really fun, might consider using it for ranked). Also trying out gyro controls. It's extremely difficult to get used to so I put it on really low sensitivity for now, and I think I'm getting slightly better.

Thanks guys, hopefully I'll get to S rank one day.
I wish you the best in your endeavors!
Carry on~

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid
Just got to A+! Dunno for how long I'll keep it, but I'm getting really close to S rank.

Here's my weapon usage:

I've stopped using Splattershot Jr. and Tri-Slosher though, I used those weapons a lot when I was in B-rank or below and in early turf wars. I use CJS slightly less. Other weapons I use a lot that are not on here are the Heavy Splatling, Luna Blaster (Neo), Splat Charger, Custom E-Liter 3K (non-scope), and the .96 Gal Deco. I use the Octobrush (Nouveau), (Zink) Mini Splatling, and the Kelp Snipers, but mostly in Turf Wars for fun (though I plan to use the Mini Splatling more often in Ranked).

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
nice improvement OP! your determination has really paid off. It's nice to see there are people ready to put in the effort and ask around to get better.

If you're still looking for stuff, why not give my guide a read? It's for intermediate squids looking to get a better understanding of the mindset and moves that can be used in Splatoon. It's the number one general play guide on the site (3rd overall, underneath the two gear guides) and a lot of people have gotten a lot out of it. It's in my sig if you'd like to check it out.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Just got to A+! Dunno for how long I'll keep it, but I'm getting really close to S rank.

Here's my weapon usage:

I've stopped using Splattershot Jr. and Tri-Slosher though, I used those weapons a lot when I was in B-rank or below and in early turf wars. I use CJS slightly less. Other weapons I use a lot that are not on here are the Heavy Splatling, Luna Blaster (Neo), Splat Charger, Custom E-Liter 3K (non-scope), and the .96 Gal Deco. I use the Octobrush (Nouveau), (Zink) Mini Splatling, and the Kelp Snipers, but mostly in Turf Wars for fun (though I plan to use the Mini Splatling more often in Ranked).
Way to go, Boss! You're rising wayy faster than I ever did, kudos! I hope you can keep your streak going.

In the meantime, I'll be busy bashing my head in a wall since I haven't gotten to play Splatoon for the past two weeks.

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid
Way to go, Boss! You're rising wayy faster than I ever did, kudos! I hope you can keep your streak going.

In the meantime, I'll be busy bashing my head in a wall since I haven't gotten to play Splatoon for the past two weeks.
Well I got into a low A+, and if my previous ranks are any indication, I'll probably drop down to A rank once or twice before I even stay consistent in A+. I'm statring to get into lobbies with S rank players too.

I've been sort of avoiding a few bad stages/modes too, so I want to see if I can improve in those areas, especially with my snipers. I'll probably start losing a lot more ranks as a result, but I don't want my wins to just be on flukes on my good stages.

But seriously, fuuuuuck Urchin Underpass, snipers are damn useless on this stage lol

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Well I got into a low A+, and if my previous ranks are any indication, I'll probably drop down to A rank once or twice before I even stay consistent in A+. I'm statring to get into lobbies with S rank players too.

I've been sort of avoiding a few bad stages/modes too, so I want to see if I can improve in those areas, especially with my snipers. I'll probably start losing a lot more ranks as a result, but I don't want my wins to just be on flukes on my good stages.

But seriously, fuuuuuck Urchin Underpass, snipers are damn useless on this stage lol
I'd say to practice those maps on turf wars, but the players wouldn't be difficult enough for you to really improve any.

And sorry about Urchin Underpass, my trusty Luna makes quick work of snipers there. Every decent vantage point for snipers is within range of my aoe blast, so it's easy pickin's.

With the rank drops, don't worry about them too much. They suck, but you need them. It just means that you need to practice some more. And with the rate that you've been climbing, there will come a point where dropping to A, A+, etc. just makes battles a cakewalk, and getting back up no problem.

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid
And sorry about Urchin Underpass, my trusty Luna makes quick work of snipers there. Every decent vantage point for snipers is within range of my aoe blast, so it's easy pickin's.
I actually use Luna Blaster for Urchin Underpass and Blackbelly Skatepark Tower Control now. Much easier and doable compared to snipers.

Phlox

Senior Squid
NNID
PhloxofBirds
Looks like you've already gotten some really good advice, the main thing I would add is to focus on building map awareness. Having good map awareness is key to preventing yourself from getting ambushed and making sure you're the one ambushing opponents when possible. I found that one of the best ways to develop strong map awareness is to practice a weapon that is highly aggressive and oriented toward hunting opponents, such as the Sploosh-o-matic.

The Sploosh has such short range that you never want to engage an enemy until you're right on top of them and it's too late for them to react. Playing a Sploosh forces you to be very aware of enemy positioning so that you can find the most efficient and stealthy path towards them while also watching for any of their teammates who might catch you. I played the Sploosh for a bit and during that time my map awareness increased drastically, so even if it's not a weapon you're interested in using extensively I would still highly recommend using it for a bit to increase this ability.

The other part of map awareness involves paying more attention to the minimap so you can get a general idea of what the field looks like, as well as watch for where enemy ink is moving so you can locate advancing opponents. It's also good to know exactly where your teammates are and what they're doing, as well as to watch for beacons from both your own team and your opponents. Paying attention to the minimap sounds like a simple thing to do, and it is, but too many players neglect it far more than they should.
I'd also like to note that this also works the other way. Playing longer-range weapons requires you to know where people are so you don't get picked off by something like a Sploosh. A really good weapon for that, in my opinion, is the Custom E-Liter 3K Scope. The scope restricts your vision, requiring you to commit for a kill, and it doesn't have Burst Bombs to aid in close-range combat. If you're not good with Chargers, then I'd use the Custom Jet Squelcher (which is a good flanking weapon as well in its own right).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom