• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

So, is it me? Or is there A LOT of Roller hate tonight?

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
I think the Aerospray is actually the easiest weapon to use since it's basically the Jr. with range which is why so many people are using it, it lacks in combat but chances are an Aerospray user will be hanging out just out of your range and you get shot from a safe distance.
If you want to be an effective Roller you need to rely on surprise attacks and flanking opponents so by the time they see you it's too late. That involves a lot of slipping around and hiding in ink then popping out, striking, then hiding again. It's really fun to watch.
A roller just chugging down in a line is bait honestly, its kinda silly but you should be seeing a roller user the least, as they'll always be slipping in and out of ink trying to stay out of the main line of fire. Spy comparisons arent too out of the park.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
i wouldn't say it's a bad weapon....as you are required to at least have one roller for turf wars otherwise you might as well give up against a team with 1 or 2 rollers
?

have you never used the jr or aerospray before? roller is awful at inking compared to the shooters

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
There actually seem to be a lot of parallels with The Pyro, actually....
There's a lot of TF2 parallels in this game. Kraken is Mmmph!, having to charge Chargers is obviously familiar, sharing Bubbler is Ubercharge, and Tower Control is Payload.
I think the Aerospray is actually the easiest weapon to use since it's basically the Jr. with range which is why so many people are using it, it lacks in combat but chances are an Aerospray user will be hanging out just out of your range and you get shot from a safe distance.
Aerospray has less range than the Jr., in fact it's the lowest of any weapon besides Rollers.[/QUOTE]

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
Roller is just an annoying weapon to deal with (not even a good weapon at all) due to the fling attack spam and the "release the Kraken1111" ****. It's not OP or anything, just annoying.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
People just get mad at Rollers because it's the easiest way to cover turf fast and the Kraken special renders them untouchable. I only don't like it when I have a team full of Rollers(I use Roller alot too) with no firepower to combat the opposing team.

Why are people saying Port Mackerel is roller's dream? It's quite the opposite because they are helpless down narrow corridors against anyone with a 52 gal or squelcher.

From my experience overall, rollers are the least of my problems especially because I'm a 52 gal/Aerospray main. Rollers are just easy to use, but difficult to master.
Port Mackerel is great for Rollers for precisely that reason: it's flat and has a lot of open areas and the narrow paths make it easy to ink and acquire new turf. Yes they are quite susceptible in these small paths, but they can also hide in the intersecting ones if they're being fired upon. It's something I do quite often if I see someone shooting at me.

Last edited:

robosteven

Inkling
NNID
robosteven
The area it covers is cray-cray, but I don't understand the hate in 1v1 situations. If you're in range of a roller, walking backwards while shooting directly at it seems to be pretty efficient.

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
Honestly I have been liking my aerospray MG more on the port. Though that may just be because I love the seeker weapon and it can effectively cut off a lane to the enemy while it is out. I've never really minded rollers outside lag kills

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
If rollers are annoying you, then what they are doing is good. They aren't easy to kill if they're good.
Only roller that seems impossible to beat is lag rollers. You hit them hundreds of times on your screen, but you missed every shot on their screen.

SockHead

Inkling
NNID
GyaradosBlood
Don't have **** internet and don't be **** at the game. The roller isn't hard to fight against just keep your distance and you should be gucci

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Roller does cover a slightly wider area, but Jr. and Aerospray are almost as wide, not much of a difference. Where the shooters really win out is in speed and distance, they can kid-squid-kid-squid and ultimately end up covering more turf and traveling faster, all while keeping their ink recharged. Whereas Rollers are limited by walking speed and have to stop advancing entirely when they need to refill.

D

Deleted Member

There's definitely a lot of roller hate tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:

NimbusSpark

Inkster Jr.
NNID
NimbusSpark
Krak-On gets hated on specifically because people don't SWIM AWAY FROM IT THE INSTANT THEY SEE IT.
There is a little thing that is known as backstabbing. Have you heard of it before? It's where they ambush you and kill you before you even have a chance to strike. And this is what these rollers excel at in terms of killing.
It's like the Spy's Knife in Team Fortress 2 infused with a shotgun.
But I'm personally ok with backstabbing though when people do it to me. It at least knows that the person who splatted me knows what he's doing.

And I personally don't hate on the roller in general, just the Krak-On specifically.
I've seen very little people make use of placing Squid Beakons (in a game where movement, enemy information and turf control is the key, this is pretty annoying), and people just wanting to use the Kraken as an instant 'I-WIN' button literally because of the temporary ability of invincibility, the insta-kill of the Kraken's Jump Attack and the fact that compared to the Bubbler, has a lack of support.
Really though, the Kraken may help with a push, but one insanely powerful squid isn't as good as multiple Inklings affected by the Bubbler making a push to a choke point, etc.

FirestormNeos

Senior Squid
NNID
FirestormNeos
There is a little thing that is known as backstabbing. Have you heard of it before? It's where they ambush you and kill you before you even have a chance to strike. And this is what these rollers excel at in terms of killing.
It's like the Spy's Knife in Team Fortress 2 infused with a shotgun.
But I'm personally ok with backstabbing though when people do it to me. It at least knows that the person who splatted me knows what he's doing.
Oh. nvm. i hate when that happens.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Every single weapon in the game kills very quickly. Rollers may be the one that's literally a single hit, but for the most part any "backstab" will kill before they can even react.

nebbii

Inkling
NNID
nebbii
Rollers get kited so easily, they are good for surprise attacks which might come across as unfair to salty players but they are not OP by any means.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom