• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

So the updates were all on the disc?

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Didn't have to download anything, just automatically unlocked after the Squid Sisters broadcast. Seems a bit silly now, disc-locked content that's free anyway.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
"we want you guys to get accustomed to it bit by bit!"

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I don't see the issue with that. It would be a problem if we had to pay to unlock content on the disc, which isn't the case for Splatoon.

rokami

Inkling
NNID
83byte
I don't see the issue with that. It would be a problem if we had to pay to unlock content on the disc, which isn't the case for Splatoon.
Plus they used a community activity to unlock the content. That's not really shady in my book. It's just Nintendo trying to get the community to band together to get something cool. Yeah, it should have just been there from the start if it didn't even require a patch, but the battles were fun.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
wonder how much more content will be on the disc

the other 2 maps, camp triggerfish and whichever the other one was (can't remember) will definitely be, since they were on the direct and had screenshots available, but the other maps to come? of course they're probably unfinished and we'll probably have to download an update, but i wonder if its just the other 2 maps that are on the disc

Mataata

Inkling
NNID
Mataata
wonder how much more content will be on the disc

the other 2 maps, camp triggerfish and whichever the other one was (can't remember) will definitely be, since they were on the direct and had screenshots available, but the other maps to come? of course they're probably unfinished and we'll probably have to download an update, but i wonder if its just the other 2 maps that are on the disc
The maps that had question marks on the Direct will probably need to be patched in.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
The maps that had question marks on the Direct will probably need to be patched in.
yeah of course, but i'm wondering if it will be all six of the question mark maps or if there's more maps on disc that just haven't been revealed

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
I wasn't expecting it to be on disc, but it makes perfect sense, and I'm honestly glad they did it this way. No pointless updates for free content 4 days after release, that would be annoying.

Aura

Infiltrator
The vanilla game forces you to play one mode, which allowed us to get accustomed to it, and because Turf War was all we had, I'm sure most of us wanted something different by now. Most of us are well above level 10 and are ready for a showdown.

Now we can move on with another new mode and play the Hell out of it with the practice we've gotten from Turf War.

Very nice... :)

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
yeah of course, but i'm wondering if it will be all six of the question mark maps or if there's more maps on disc that just haven't been revealed
Kelp Dome and Bluefin Depot are in single-player. I assumed they were gonna get tweaked for release since one's a maze and the other is Ridley-sized, but now I guess not.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I'm okay with it as long as nothing paid is on disk.

wingedarcher7

Inkling
NNID
speedstar623
It's fine with me, really. It's more content for us to play with. Sure it was on the disc, but at least we get free access to it, and I know that's more than I can say for some other companies. Plus we got the access to it soon and it really is like taking the game in bit by bit. You've got to admit, looking forward to more content like this is really exciting!

Chocoling

Pro Squid
NNID
Mystical-Tabby
im fine with it being on the disk, ready to unlock when nintendo feel like it - i mean, its a suprise if you dont follow social medias and it was nice to have Callie and Marie introduce the new content before you jump in.

I dont know how much is on the disk but i expect later stuff will need patches or perhaps a big patch every now and then that adds lots of hidden unlocks so they dont have to keep patching it and waste peoples time at start up.

(like a sweet despenser - you add in the sweets (standard disk) and then release the sweets (content) gradually or in bunches and when the sweets (content) run out, you add more sweets (a big update patch that will hold over for a few months) to then despense when needed).

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
I actually like how Nintendo designed the update system of Splatoon. It makes the game feel very lively and almost like a big live-event which lasts for several months/years. It's crucial to be present from very early on, though, to experience it to it's fullest. Same goes for map rotation, shops and Spyke's "black market". It's all real time based.

The content is probably 80-90% on the disc already and gets unlocked gradually. It's easy to manage for Nintendo, as the game requires permanent online connection, so they can make sure no one glitches or cheats out later content early.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom