soloQ rant

Picle

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4195-9440-3526
idk if this is just a "me" problem, but I've noticed anytime I try to play SoloQ whenever my team isn't available, I feel so mentally drained from playing it. It feels horrible to use anything that isn't a shooter in soloQ. Want to play a weapon that requires an ounce of team dependency? too bad, you get teammates that either don't have weapons that can paint or just straight up don't paint and/or suck at painting for you. It always feels like I get screwed over because randoms seem to always do everything wrong. from feeding when we're in a lockout, not using the map to find that there's someone behind us, not taking space and painting for their low paint teammates, if there's a multiple choice question for every decision they make, they would always get the wrong answer

briank913

Inkling Cadet
NNID
briank913
Switch Friend Code
SW-0159-0074-0919
As someone once said, "Matchmaking is nonexistent in this game." I played Turf War to bring my Clash Blaster to 1 star and the game put me with 2 other blasters and a Sploosh. Then there's a Rainmaker where I got paired with 2 E-Liters and a Blaster. Matchmaking is a joke.

SoloQ people are also a joke. I had a Wellstring player who took the Rainmaker but skipped the checkpoint (it was on Inkblot, where there's only one). Then I had a Hydra who just gave up after we wiped out the enemy team and threw the match for us. I was soooooo pissed that an S+ player with a 5-star Hydra would do such a thing.

I said this in the "Salt Mine" thread: the only way to play this game to have fun is to play with a team or friends. SoloQ is just speedrunning losing faith in humanity.

Cephalobro

Oh yeah, even in Turf War, teammates are stupid, like they wait way too long to advance to stop the opposite team in their tracks.

briank913

Inkling Cadet
NNID
briank913
Switch Friend Code
SW-0159-0074-0919
Oh yeah, even in Turf War, teammates are stupid, like they wait way too long to advance to stop the opposite team in their tracks.
Teammates in Turf War are somehow better than those in Series and Open.

Cephalobro

Teammates in Turf War are somehow better than those in Series and Open.
But much of the time, they are the most clueless people I have ever played with. Like how do you not check the map to see how the stage is looking? Or how about targeting that one Eliter that's singlehandedly pushing us back?

briank913

Inkling Cadet
NNID
briank913
Switch Friend Code
SW-0159-0074-0919
But much of the time, they are the most clueless people I have ever played with. Like how do you not check the map to see how the stage is looking? Or how about targeting that one Eliter that's singlehandedly pushing us back?
I ask the same about Anarchy: I see beakons but no one else does for example. I see 3 down but no one (else) makes a push.
That's why you really gotta play with a team/friends unless you absolutely have to do SoloQ.

DzNutsKong

Inkling Commander
Man I'm starting to wonder if I should be more public a lot of the stuff I'm saying during coaching because most of this post is stuff I just talked about earlier today lmao

Solo in general is something you just need a lot of patience and understanding to play to its fullest. One of my good friends is in the B-Ranks not because he's bad at the game, he's probably better than I am, but because he doesn't play this series very much anymore. Yet still ever since the start of the game he's been matched against people with the S+ badge. Unless there's some internal ELO system, which I have (inconclusive) reason to believe there either isn't or it's very lenient, Anarchy Open straight up doesn't care how good anyone is when matchmaking.

You can and will see a lot of wild things on here, and you can and will get matched with players who straight up are not as good at the game as you are. Literally yesterday I and two teammates were pushed up in the enemy base during a Rainmaker game and our Heavy Splatling picked up the Rainmaker. Cool, easy points right? Nope. This guy decided to walk it backwards towards my team's first checkpoint and...painted the floor. The three of us were literally in their spawn. The Heavy then decided to run it backwards closer to our spawn and only when it was about to explode did they finally start to push it forward. They saw a single bomb and it scared them enough to dive off of a cliff to reset the Rainmaker.

Wanna know what happened that game? We won. It went the full 5 minutes but it was a very easy win.

My mental in the moment is always weak so I got very tilted by that incident and it stayed into future games. There are way, way more trivial things that can and will happen in a game that will always get me just as tilted. There will absolutely be games you lose off of things like this, or your team's comp being terrible for every reason under the sun, or from that one objective push at the end completely changing the tide of everything. If you truly are a good player though, then you will make things work in spite of these problems and your overall win to loss ratio will reflect this.

Ever since I've started playing the Decavitator in particular I've noticed so many games where things seem grim for one reason or another and I win despite that just because I do what I personally need to. Just today I won a 5 minute Clam Blitz game where we had an E-Liter sit in one spot and hit exactly 1 person the whole game, and we also had a Tenta Brella sitting right next to him the whole game instead of where they were supposed to. This was an extremely vulnerable spot where if the enemies got close to them, which isn't hard on Museum, they would get a very easy push out of it. What happened that game? My Dousers (vanilla kit fsr but beside the point) stayed alive for us and got the right picks, I ran in at weird angles to cause chaos and to try and force two-for-one trades. We won. Also had a game with two Rollers and a vanilla Tri-Stringer as my teammates and despite having zero paint output the four of us went to town and cleanly wiped our opponents.

You just need to try your best to do what you can with your main weapon. With the Decavitator I've also noticed a lot of games where my teammates play way too slowly to bounce off of the openings I'm handing them. That's fine, just have to adjust your playstyle accordingly and try to play closer to them and go in when they're ready. And, if you ever do get tilted, get off the game for a bit. It's the most obvious advice but go take your mind off of Splatoon until those feelings are completely gone. Otherwise they're just going to snowball and create a feedback loop where you lose, get more frustrated, play worse, and lose more. Wins will start to feel less impactful as it's surrounded by an ever-increasing sea of losses because of how easy it is to be critical of your teammates.

Picle

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4195-9440-3526
As someone once said, "Matchmaking is nonexistent in this game." I played Turf War to bring my Clash Blaster to 1 star and the game put me with 2 other blasters and a Sploosh. Then there's a Rainmaker where I got paired with 2 E-Liters and a Blaster. Matchmaking is a joke.

SoloQ people are also a joke. I had a Wellstring player who took the Rainmaker but skipped the checkpoint (it was on Inkblot, where there's only one). Then I had a Hydra who just gave up after we wiped out the enemy team and threw the match for us. I was soooooo pissed that an S+ player with a 5-star Hydra would do such a thing.

I said this in the "Salt Mine" thread: the only way to play this game to have fun is to play with a team or friends. SoloQ is just speedrunning losing faith in humanity.
soloQ being hell is why I decided to join comp. It's sooooo much better

Picle

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4195-9440-3526
With how important it is in this game to take space quickly, it's so stupid that they do the exact opposite

Arigato!

Pro Squid

I GET IT. And I'm sure a lot of people do lol. I always die on the tower(Cuz I'm usually a dualies or slosher) and my teamates don't have the competency to look around or hear that I died, then we get locked out and usually lose.

briank913

Inkling Cadet
NNID
briank913
Switch Friend Code
SW-0159-0074-0919
I feel like soloq squids don't care whether they lose their xp or go into negative ranked points.
Not always. It was RM Hagglefish and this person painted the left side to use as a path for the RM at some point. I grab the RM and move forward only for that exact person to "This Way" me twice. I knew of it but I forgot it at the heat of the moment. Then I remembered about the path.
The person gave me a Booyah for using the road that was made :)

Picle

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4195-9440-3526
I feel like soloq squids don't care whether they lose their xp or go into negative ranked points.
idrc about ranked points either since they hold little value to me. I just want to get my CRB 5 starred

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
the only way to play this game to have fun is to play with a team or friends. SoloQ is just speedrunning losing faith in humanity.
hard disagree. Maybe you personally don't enjoy it, and that's perfectly fine, but it's not fair to say that it's impossible to enjoy soloq. If no one enjoyed it, people wouldn't still be playing it.

DzNutsKong

Inkling Commander
Here's an addendum to the post I made earlier since I was going through some screenshots and found a lot of stuff I could post here. This isn't even everything but I got all of these in the past three weeks and these cover basically all of the points that I need them to. Fair warning though - all of these screenshots are the absolute most extreme cases I could find. Usually K/Ds ARE NOT a perfect indicator of how well or poorly someone does in a given match, although in very specific cases with weapons and how extreme it is it can sometimes be a decent tell. There are plenty of games though where I have a high death count and feel like I contributed well to the team or have a high kill count and feel like I wasn't killing people at times where it'd help the most.

1718684789763.png

the splashtag i happened to give myself for this game ended up being, uh, kinda fitting

This was a Splat Zones game, neither of these Big Swig rollers had Quick Respawn and neither painted which is the one major purpose of the weapon. A majority of the game it felt like I would need to kill several players at once to get out of lockout. And yet, the Dousers and I managed to get several pushes that ended up allowing us to hold advantage. It sure felt like we were down a few teammates the whole time, but that didn't stop either of us from finding our opportunities and capitalizing bigtime.

1718685131582.png

Actually, here's an even more extreme case of that. Everyone except for the Charger died at the start of the game and we were definitely at risk of being knocked out but things ended up going very smoothly past that point. Funny enough I had been paired with this Charger player a few games before this and I specifically said to myself that they were cracked and that we could do this. Sure enough, our two teammates did help hold down some important space to keep them from dropping into certain areas but they didn't really even need to do anything beyond holding that space. I don't know how good this Blaster or other Splatana player were since it's too short of a play time but the game would have gone very similarly regardless.

1718686317605.png

Simpler one here. I've already shared examples of stuff like this countless times on these forums but every weapon comp is winnable in solo. Some are harder than others, but I actually spent over half the game playing like total cheeks. The first minute and a half I locked in bigtime even if I didn't play absolutely flawlessly there either, and the rest was just smooth sailing.

1718685537927.png

This one isn't as much players specifically being dumb even though none of the four of us were perfect. Overall, this game is actually one of the most fascinating I've ever played period, mainly because of the Dapples player.

I still censored their name because some people might not like the K/D but this guy is quite a good soloq teammate even if lacking a little self-sufficiency. I guess that's par for the course for the vanilla Dapples. They play fully to the kit this thing has with their gear and playstyle, and it let us hold our opponents from pushing the Rainmaker too far into our base. We were all dying, but weirdly...managing, because of the big Sub Power Up Beakons, decent Tacticooler output, and two of us running Quick Respawn.

But how did we get any kind of winning push, and how was it with that many points? It was because several of us had quick playstyles that matched up very well together. At one point one of us snuck the Rainmaker into the first checkpoint. Cool, but not enough by itself. At the end of the game I watched our Octo Shot run in and try to make a last-minute push, so I decided to go in with him. I got a well-timed triple with Inkjet that started off of a 2v1 we forced, our Range Blaster traded with the fourth guy, and the whole time our Dapples were ready and carried the Rainmaker super far off of that one quad.

I got this Dapples player on my team again a while later and things played out similarly. They had a very rough K/D on paper, but this time around my other teammates and I were a bit stronger and won very convincingly. This dude is a chad and I honestly wish I could say this to their face. Super unique gameplan that has had flawless execution both times I remember being matched with him.

image_2024-06-18_003709476.png

Last up, here's an example of basically all of the things I mentioned before wrapped into one tidy package, minus maybe the point about having teammates that don't contribute. It's hard to say how good my teammates were given this comp, with that comp being...absolutely horrible. The one frontline weapon plays at its best when it's feeding the whole game and the other weapons all are much worse off fighting up close to people. The only positives I can say are at least we have pretty good painting and area denial, but imagine making any sort of push with these weapons. Imagine making any sort of push when your teammates collectively get ten kills in the span of five minutes. Doesn't that sound impossible?

Well, obviously, it wasn't. I killed five people in a row during overtime and that was all it took for us to get enough points to win. That might sound like a Herculean task, and it definitely took a lot of correct plays in a row - I literally HAD to Squid Roll a Splat Bomb and had no other options in order to win us the game, but I managed.

So what am I trying to say? Definitely nothing that needed this much rambling for one. A lot of it was summarized in the earlier post. Avoid complaining about solo teammates though. I get wanting better out of what claims to be a ranked mode but better play will result in more games being won, straight up. Maybe it's just me projecting because I can get very upset at solo, but I've found it very easy to slip into a thought process where most of my losses are from my teammates and if everyone played to my level we'd win most of our games. It's an extremely unproductive way of thinking that damages your mental instead of giving you the room to think about and improve upon your own play, which is still something you can absolutely do in a majority of the games you'll play in solo, win or loss.

I'm far from a perfect player myself and I'm not at all trying to say that you need wins as crazy as these. These are the absolute most extreme examples that I, a person who's built a reputation across multiple games for extreme inconsistency with huge peaks and embarrassing valleys, managed to find after roughly 500 games within the past three weeks. If screenshots like these are hard to stumble upon for you then don't stress yourself out over it too much. If you find yourself struggling to do what you need to in a given match then keep in mind that there will always be someone who is struggling even harder than you are that will lose in even more of these situations than you find yourself in, no matter how poorly you think about yourself as a player.

Also please don't take anything I'm saying as preachy or demeaning because I literally have gone through all of the same motions as everyone in this thread and more. If anyone knows who putz is I get just as angry as he does just as often as he does (although a bit less toxic and way less personal). I would be the last person to think down upon anyone for this kind of thing.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
Solo queue is a gamble, one hundred percent. You can get great games with surprisingly good teammates on low tier weapons, or you can get a Splattershot with terminal walk-and-shoot syndrome and a Snipewriter using full Intensify Action.

Splatoon is a difficult game, especially with how team-reliant most weapons are. My advice is simply to be patient with your teammates, be a good role model for them, and play something with good matchups against shooters. I've been enjoying Bamboozler in that regard.

Arigato!

Pro Squid
Not always. It was RM Hagglefish and this person painted the left side to use as a path for the RM at some point. I grab the RM and move forward only for that exact person to "This Way" me twice. I knew of it but I forgot it at the heat of the moment. Then I remembered about the path.
The person gave me a Booyah for using the road that was made :)
THATS SO NICE (TヮT)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom