• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Some of the biggest mistakes during matches?

Terry-Anny

Inkling
What are some recurring themes you see when playing matches that you yourself or other players do that cost victories or get you splatted, yet people still repeat those same mistakes!

For me, I've seen people at level 8+ who STILL don't squid at all, and only do so to reload and not travel. Maybe that's not universal, but I'm curious to know! For a good laugh y'know?

EDIT: I'm asking both out of curiosity, plus I'm planning to make a video about this, but I'm just worried if there isn't enough meat to get the laughs out of.

Last edited:

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
I have to facepalm at the chargers on my team for not aiming down the paths on Port Mackerel and they instead choose to stay on the ledge above the zone. Literally one sniper can block off the whole of one pathway.

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
I see a lot of people in Turf Wars ink the entire game and repeatedly die.

Kiritora

Inkster Jr.
When I or a teammate is super jumping to another teammate and that teammate does not hold the ground where we land. Unless of course no enemies are close by.

Anytime I see a teammate trying to jump to me I make sure the spot is secure. You certainly don't want them out for another 10 seconds if they'd been splatted before. Of course you have to carefully decide who you super jump to. Too close to the enemies base is never guaranteed and a risk so that can easily be your fault.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
biggest mistake I see people make (aside from sjing) is overextending

we don't need to get the point right this second, and we don't need to worry about losing one of two points for just a moment. we can wait just a moment.

and yeah superjumping is the most common mistake. there are so few reasons for superjumping in zones.

I have to facepalm at the chargers on my team for not aiming down the paths on Port Mackerel and they instead choose to stay on the ledge above the zone. Literally one sniper can block off the whole of one pathway.
holding two at once is both possible and better (since it makes it harder for you to get flanked), which only strengthens the point you're making heh

redfeatherraven

Inkling
Chargers that roll straight towards me, no deviation, while I'm firing at them and backpedaling.

Not understanding when to run in general.

And a couple comments:

I had a kraken just rubbing his head against my spawn for the entirety of the duration of the kraken. All the while I was just spamming ZL and laughing at him.
I want to see this once.

This would make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Drawing male genitalia instead of playing the objective in splat zones
Drawing male genitalia is the objective, in every mode you're allowed to bring an Inkbrush into.

Ultimatum

Full Squid
NNID
Ultimatumm
Careless super jumps. Not using subs. Not taking alternative routes when primary ones are locked down. Not paying attention to nearby teamates dying and to what (ez 3 kills). Glace at the gamepad near the start of the game to see if any enemies are taking routes less taken for ez kills. Chargers not going for advantageous positions when they're not needed elsewhere. I got a lot more.

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
I'm usually always on a team that always forgets to cover our base, as well as, horizontal high platforms.
If it's at the beginning of the match then taking mid is more important, and you can ink your spawn once you respawn. If they aren't inking it all then wow that's bad luck.

DaisyFan

Pro Squid
Super jump when it has action in the middle in Splat Zone, you should be able to tell yourself when its the time to do it. Pushing then you're team just wiped its a terrible decision, unless you feel good with it.

SHUTupNrocK8

Pro Squid
NNID
SHUTupNrocK8
If it's at the beginning of the match then taking mid is more important, and you can ink your spawn once you respawn. If they aren't inking it all then wow that's bad luck.
Yup, lol, majority of the time they do not ink it at all. I mean, I guess they assume that's my job seeing that I'm a Roller, but it gets annoying when I'm trying to make a push to mid - enemy territory with my Kraken or Killer Wail especially the middle of Arowana Mall and Skatepark. I'll respawn and nothing is covered 2 minutes in and I'm like WTF. I usually record every match I play and post it to Youtube, lol give it a look, it's annoying. And it's usually like Level 15-20 players pulling this crap :p.

Cereal

Full Squid
NNID
Xyvone
A huge mistake of mine is thinking I'm playing ranked when im playing turf wars

you wouldnt believe how many times I've rushed to the middle of the map, inked the entire area and think, "why haven't we gotten control yet?"

And then realization slaps me across the face

Last edited:

Phobos

Inkling Commander
Aside from the ones listed here, probably the biggest mistake I, and others I encounter make, is playing too aggressively, and not being more mindful of evasive options. I really need to learn how to play a bit more sneakily, but I've yet to fully shake the instincts that I've carried over from fast-paced FPSs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom