• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Some of the biggest mistakes during matches?

Power

Inkling Commander
The entire team rushes over to a splatzone while a trail of ink heading towards ours is visible. Getting stuck 1v2 or 1v3 is no fun.
Also everyone going 1v4 after spawns, getting picked off 1 by 1 and respawning. If we went all 4 than there would be a chance

Mistakes I do that anger me is missing a point blank shot, or moving in a forward backward direction during firefights instead of side to side. So many simple deaths and loss of positioning because of it, I need to be more disciplined in that regard.

Cereal

Full Squid
NNID
Xyvone
Sometimes I occasionally forget to use sub weapons

Also once my special is charged up I stop paying attention to the tv and look at my gamepad to see where I should launch an inkstrike and then I end up dying because someone decides to pop up out of nowhere in 2 seconds and kill me.

I also panic a lot when i end up confronting someone head on because that should never happen as an inkbrush user. So I just spam ZR in hopes I can kill them instead of running away at super speed. I usually die in these situations

Squid_or_kid

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ManlyKittens
Aside from the ones listed here, probably the biggest mistake I, and others I encounter make, is playing too aggressively, and not being more mindful of evasive options. I really need to learn how to play a bit more sneakily, but I've yet to fully shake the instincts that I've carried over from fast-paced FPSs.
I do the same thing. I play with a roller usually and I often noob out and just rush towards someone.

cool6012

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Cool6012
Charging up a shot when I shouldn't be with a splatterscope only to get killed by someone an inch to the left/right of my scope.

Ametrine

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ferrethugger98
People going squid on fence-y terrain (sorry for not knowing the proper word I'm not a native english speaker), especially on Arowana Mall and Bluefin Depot. Granted the latter was only just released, but I've done it too! We all make mistakes.
Also not inking the ramps on Arowana Mall. People are seriously underestimating the angle the terrain has to be on in order for it to give you points.
Recently, I saw an enemy Killer Wail coming in, and as I was just beside a roller user from my own team, I somehow made the connection that it was their Killer Wail, so I jumped straight in. I hope they weren't caught off-guard from facepalming over this grave mistake.

Tigurr

Inkster Jr.
NNID
disasterbreak
Krakening on the grates in Arowana Mall (but the kraken........looks so solid.....!) the enemy charger who watched me fall was probably laughing.......

mayamei

Inkling
NNID
geechristine
I dunno about biggest mistake, but stupidest mistake I've done is walk towards the start of the enemy paint and get ambushed by a hiding roller :'P

Summerlycoris

Inkster Jr.
NNID
summerlycoris
I think my most embarrassing mistake. (At least that I can remember) was when I went to the wrong side of Bluefin Depot during a ranked match. I'd done recon there just before the match, and it'd been on the left side. So when I did start a proper match, I ran off to the left without thinking it could change. Only realised what had happened when I got there and saw no splat zone. At least I learnt to check the map before the battle starts.
Most common mistake.... Either underestimating chargers or underestimating dynamo rollers. I should know they outrange me by now, but I still stuff up and try to chase them down sometimes.

Dream21

Full Squid
Super Jumping to someone in squid mode just to figure out they were on a grate.
And now you're dead because water.

Then one time, or a few times actually, in Bluefin Depot I forget you can't jump off just everywhere so I end up jumping into the water when I forget some spots have nothing beneath them.

BluEyes

Senior Squid
Some of the biggest mistakes I see in splatzones.

1) Bunching up. I've seen 3 squids taken out in a single inkstrike.

2) Static positions when pinned by aggression. Aggression can be countered by flanking. There are alternative routes to the splat zone. One of the weakness of aggression is that they tend to overextend. Flank them.

3) Getting sniped repeatedly. Snipers are as good as useless if no one crosses their line of sight. Use another route. Most of the time, a sniper rarely changes his perch position. In such situations, its become a 4v3 match. The sniper without realising has eliminated himself from the match since he is not killing and inking by just camping.

Pesty

Inkster Jr.
Falling off the side path perch on Arowana unexpectedly has gotten me splatted more than anything else in the game.

lostleader

Senior Squid
NNID
lostleader
When people Squid jump to me specifically. Like majority of the time I am in the enemy base, and I will not have your back when it comes to taking on the enemy. I am there to annoy them, waste their time, and live to ink another day! I dont need someone helping them see me.
Also in turf war, when i see people just not maintenance our base when they respawn. Like do your part, yes you failed to rush the enemy down or hold the point, but it's better if we start covering our base in case the match gets fairly close, in the same time you squid jumped over to get yourself killed you could have gotten like 100 points of just maintenance the base, like not even covering it, just splatting enough on your way to where you are going. Squid Jumping shouldn't really be used less it be ranked or near the last minute. I get rushing in, that's fine, but maintenance the dingle dang base WILL YA.

EarlyCuyler

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5208-7719-6394
Forgetting you can do that is the mistake i make most often, also ive had good results landing in enemy territory from time to time.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
- Falling in the water in general. It's always maximum-facepalm-worthy and still happens in a lot of B+/A- rooms (me included :D ).
- Superjumping and getting splatted immediately
- Stopping to move around, because you think you have got the situation under control.
- Playing inkbrush

Friendly Face-Off

Full Squid
NNID
taikolover-desu
Without knowing?
Superjumping where an opponent is waiting to splat you.

Player faults?
Accidentally falling into the water, even if you know the entire map well.

Phobos

Inkling Commander
I have now, on more than one occasion, spawned on Bluefin Depot, shifted from kid to squid and gone straight forward, only to immediately fall through the mesh floor and splat myself :/

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
Some of the biggest mistakes I see in splatzones.

1) Bunching up. I've seen 3 squids taken out in a single inkstrike.

3) Getting sniped repeatedly. Snipers are as good as useless if no one crosses their line of sight. Use another route. Most of the time, a sniper rarely changes his perch position. In such situations, its become a 4v3 match. The sniper without realising has eliminated himself from the match since he is not killing and inking by just camping.
1. I've gotten so many 2 for 1 snipe kills from players bunching lol.

2. This. As a sniper as soon as my line of vision is clear of enemies and my team has pushed forward I push forward onto another semi-safe location where I have better of a shot. This is why a good 50% of the time I hate playing with other snipers as they can be far too timid.

---

But other things:

-Hiding behind your sniper. Snipers have range so they can keep back enemies who may approach however halting enemy advancement only works if non-snipers are taking advantage of this and advancing themselves. I cannot shoot 3-4 rapidly approaching enemies all at once if my entire team is behind me. I have left my entire team to die many times when they would rather bunch behind me and rely on me taking out multiple enemies than fight themselves.

-Lack of patience. Something that I am also working on. The right moment to strike is key, you could blow an entire match for your team by not killing one enemy or getting splatted yourself during the kill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom