Was this helpful?

• Yes

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

JoshDaBoss27

Inkster Jr.
Hey all! Today, I’m answering a couple FAQ’s under the “Weapons and Gear” category. I’m a total nerd, I know. But here you go.

What are the best abilities in Splatoon?

Here's a list I made of SOME (not listing all) abilities ranked from great all the way down to nearly useless.

Great

Ink resistance up

Cold-blooded (sounds really bad from the description but it literally only lets you get tracked for 2.0 seconds which is insanely useful)

Ninja Squid (If you like camping)

Stealth Jump (makes it excessively easy to super jump safely)

Good

Bomb range up (good as main & decent as sub)

O.K.

Comeback (gives some boosts but not enough to have a significant effect)

Ink recovery up (this is good for sloshers though)

Opening Gambit

Recon

Bad

Special duration up (only good with 3 mains but ain't nobody got slots for that :/ )

Ink saver main

Last-ditch effort (gives 2 big boosts but may not come into effect during ranked)

Terrible

Quick Respawn (with 3 mains it only shortens it by ~1.5 seconds)

Swim Speed up (even with the 1.3 update it still sucks)

Run Speed up (this ability is popular, but it only shortens an 11-second run with no mains or subs to 9 seconds with 2 mains)

Nearly useless

Tenacity (at max speed it takes you >40 seconds of doing no inking to charge and at lowest speed it takes you >2 minutes of no inking to charge)

Just remember that this is not a complete list, but I put some of the most common and popular abilities. If you feel that there is an ability that should be on this list, or that an ability should be in a different category, reply with your best argument for where and why the ability should be where you want it to be and I may move it. Nobody is reading this so I can safely say that I have no life. Thank you!

What gear best complements my weapon?

Alright. Serious Tip time. WHEN ATTEMPTING TO USE A NEW WEAPON:

1. Make sure it is not a nozzlenose (b/c they nerfed it into the unplayable zone)

2. FIND. THE. WEAKNESS. Whatever is difficult or makes you vulnerable, take that and use it. Find out what abilities are good for it. EXAMPLE: If yo are considering the Sploosh-o-matic, find the weakness. Obviously, the main weakness is that it has not even half the range of the Splattershot Jr. (Splattershot Jr. has 2nd worst range in game, worst are the sploosh-o-matics). You will find out that it is a very suicidal, yet effective, weapon. Knowing that you will die a lot, you would probably choose 1. special saver, 2. quick respawn, 3. quick super jump, or 4. one of the speed-ups. EXAMPLE 2: My brother was trying to use the slosher, but he noticed that he ran out of ink too fast. What did he do? Nothing, because he is not a nerd like me. I helped him out, though, and gave him a bunch of ink recovery up and ink saver main. now he is much better off.

3. See tip No. 2.

4. See tip No. 3.
Just follow those tips, and you will be much better off.

What Weapon is best for each mode?

It all really depends on your preferences, but some of the best are:

Tower control

Blasters (best is probably rapid blaster or the one with mines)

Inkbrush Noveau (CAUTION! NEVER use this weapon for anything except tower control beause it sucks outside TC mode)

Turf war

You can literally use almost anything, but some good ones are:

Bamboozlers
Aerosprays
Rollers
Tentatek/octoshot

Splat zones

I’m not totally sure what is good for zones. Just make sure it has a bomb rush. I would say splash-o-matic or kelp charger (no scope)

Rainmaker

Not totally sure. Get a sniper or a turf coverer. Also forge splattershot pro is good for 1-on-1 rainmaker.

Why am I seeing a Damage up + Tentatek/octoshot pattern?

This is a very valid question. If you have asked this question, it means you are smart and have been paying attention to even the smallest things. If you have not asked this question (which I didn’t) I doesn’t mean you aren’t smart, but you have different priorities or are just a little less observant. Anyway, to the answer. With the recent nerf, it still kills with the same amount of hits. Unless they have at least 1 damage up main. Then it takes an extra hit. But that can be countered with 1 damage up ability, which is why you have been seeing a recent tentatek + damage up pattern.

I wish you all the best of luck in your battles, and may the freshest squid win!

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I can tell you did a lot of work on this, and I appreciate that. However, there is a lot that just isn't correct.

Hey all! Today, I’m answering a couple FAQ’s under the “Weapons and Gear” category. I’m a total nerd, I know. But here you go.

What are the best abilities in Splatoon?

Here's a list I made of SOME (not listing all) abilities ranked from great all the way down to nearly useless.

Great

Ink resistance up

Cold-blooded (sounds really bad from the description but it literally only lets you get tracked for 2.0 seconds which is insanely useful)

Ninja Squid (If you like camping)

Stealth Jump (makes it excessively easy to super jump safely)
First, abilities' usefulness is kinda subjective and based on playstyle. That said, there are some that are more universally helpful. Of the ones you listed ink resistance and cold blooded are really good (although cold-blooded is a bit niche). Ninja squid is useful, but the nerf to swim speed has really hurt it. I still use it but you definitely need to be aware of its limitations. Stealth jump can be useful, but definitely not in the great category. It takes forever to jump, which wastes precious time, and super jumping is typically a bad idea anyway. It is great on tower control though, when you can jump to the tower and surprise people.

Bomb range up (good as main & decent as sub)
I guess bomb range up can be generally useful for anything that chucks bombs (doesn't affect sprinklers, splash walls, or beacons), but it is actually more of a niche ability. Unless you are a dedicated grenadier (which is a personal favorite of mine) I wouldn't suggest running it. You are likely better served with other abilities.

Comeback (gives some boosts but not enough to have a significant effect)

Ink recovery up (this is good for sloshers though)

Opening Gambit

Recon
Comeback is actually really good. Especially with quick respawn. Dying is almost inevitable in the game, and becoming super squid for 20 seconds is awesome. It is better on weapons that are in the thick of it, like rollers and tentateks though.

Ink recovery is also really good, especially for long range weapons like the squelchers and chargers.

Opening gambit is widely considered trash compared to other headgear exclusives. Even compared to Comeback, you only get to be super squid at the beginning instead of periodically throughout the game. While the speed might help the initial push, unless you win immediately it isn't helping you as you'll need the whole game in turf wars and more impactful abilities in ranked.

Recon is also pretty terrible outside of niche builds or squads with voice comms.

Special duration up (only good with 3 mains but ain't nobody got slots for that :/ )

Ink saver main

Last-ditch effort (gives 2 big boosts but may not come into effect during ranked)
Yeah, special duration isn't all that great...unless you DO dedicate slots to it because your weapon benefits from it. Anything with a bubbler or bomb rush can use it effectively. But definitely a niche ability.

Ink saver main is awesome and generally useful for every weapon if you don't have a dedicated build. Even weapons that are already ink efficient can benefit a few extra seconds of firing in tough spots. Other weapons, like the splattlings and splattershot pros require ink saver main to be the most effective.

Last ditch effort is bad even though I've seen people use it in turf war.

Quick Respawn (with 3 mains it only shortens it by ~1.5 seconds)

Swim Speed up (even with the 1.3 update it still sucks)

Run Speed up (this ability is popular, but it only shortens an 11-second run with no mains or subs to 9 seconds with 2 mains)
All of these abilities are actually really good. Stacking quick respawn on close range weapons (like the sploosh or rollers) is a valid tactic. It definitely shortens it by more than 1.5 seconds (although not to much more, iirc). Every second counts though, and getting back on the battlefield is definitely essential.

Swim speed is probably the most universally helpful ability. It allows you to get back into the action faster, it allows you to evade people better, dodge bombs more effectively, escape from a bad situation easier. I try to run at least one main or three (+) subs in every build. Speed is really important.

Likewise, run speed is awesome with lots of weapons. It makes 1v1 situations easier because you can simply run around with ridiculous quickness. N-Zaps running run speed is like fighting Sonic the Hedgehog.

Nearly useless
Tenacity (at max speed it takes you >40 seconds of doing no inking to charge and at lowest speed it takes you >2 minutes of no inking to charge)
Tenacity is also pretty darn good. Probably the best of the headgear exclusives. It enhances your special charge time, it doesn't matter how long it takes when you aren't inking. You should almost always be inking. Even still, getting specials charged is vital, and in solo queue, where you can't really rely on your team mates, having more specials is very useful. It really does make a difference.

Just remember that this is not a complete list, but I put some of the most common and popular abilities. If you feel that there is an ability that should be on this list, or that an ability should be in a different category, reply with your best argument for where and why the ability should be where you want it to be and I may move it. Nobody is reading this so I can safely say that I have no life. Thank you!
If you need more information or explanation for my points just let me know.[/quote]

What gear best complements my weapon?
Alright. Serious Tip time. WHEN ATTEMPTING TO USE A NEW WEAPON:

1. Make sure it is not a nozzlenose (b/c they nerfed it into the unplayable zone)

2. FIND. THE. WEAKNESS. Whatever is difficult or makes you vulnerable, take that and use it. Find out what abilities are good for it. EXAMPLE: If yo are considering the Sploosh-o-matic, find the weakness. Obviously, the main weakness is that it has not even half the range of the Splattershot Jr. (Splattershot Jr. has 2nd worst range in game, worst are the sploosh-o-matics). You will find out that it is a very suicidal, yet effective, weapon. Knowing that you will die a lot, you would probably choose 1. special saver, 2. quick respawn, 3. quick super jump, or 4. one of the speed-ups. EXAMPLE 2: My brother was trying to use the slosher, but he noticed that he ran out of ink too fast. What did he do? Nothing, because he is not a nerd like me. I helped him out, though, and gave him a bunch of ink recovery up and ink saver main. now he is much better off.

3. See tip No. 2.

4. See tip No. 3.
Just follow those tips, and you will be much better off.
1. Nozzlenoses have actually been buffed and are very effective weapons.
2. Yes, but you seem to have contradicted yourself from your gear analysis. This is true though: find your gun's strength's and weaknesses, use abilities that compliment it, and practice.

What Weapon is best for each mode?
It all really depends on your preferences, but some of the best are:

Tower control

Blasters (best is probably rapid blaster or the one with mines)

Inkbrush Noveau (CAUTION! NEVER use this weapon for anything except tower control beause it sucks outside TC mode)
Blasters are definitely great in tower control. They can pressure the tower and get easy kills.

The inkbrush is OK, but inkbrushes should be relegated to turf war usually. Most of what you can do with an inkbrush (any version) can be accomplished with a weapon with better range (possible exception of the octobrush).

Krakens are good here because they can loaf around on the tower (although slightly nerfed, still effective). Splash walls are also good at defending the tower.
You can literally use almost anything, but some good ones are:

Bamboozlers
Aerosprays
Rollers
Tentatek/octoshot
Yeah, you can use anything in turf war and still do ok.
Splat zones
I’m not totally sure what is good for zones. Just make sure it has a bomb rush. I would say splash-o-matic or kelp charger (no scope)
Scoped versions are generally considered better because of the range. Tentateks, splattershots, .52 gals, .96 decos, and splash-o-matics (and neo) are all good for splat zones. You want things that can cover turf but also be offensive. Longer range guns can do well here as well (squelchers).

Rainmaker
Not totally sure. Get a sniper or a turf coverer. Also forge splattershot pro is good for 1-on-1 rainmaker.
Anything with a kraken to make a path for the rainmaker. Killing power is really good, but any weapon you are comfortable with works. Make sure to run lots of swim speed.

Why am I seeing a Damage up + Tentatek/octoshot pattern?
This is a very valid question. If you have asked this question, it means you are smart and have been paying attention to even the smallest things. If you have not asked this question (which I didn’t) I doesn’t mean you aren’t smart, but you have different priorities or are just a little less observant. Anyway, to the answer. With the recent nerf, it still kills with the same amount of hits. Unless they have at least 1 damage up main. Then it takes an extra hit. But that can be countered with 1 damage up ability, which is why you have been seeing a recent tentatek + damage up pattern.
Yep.

I wish you all the best of luck in your battles, and may the freshest squid win!
Thanks! Let me know if you need any more info for my points/counterpoints.

JoshDaBoss27

Inkster Jr.
I can tell you did a lot of work on this, and I appreciate that. However, there is a lot that just isn't correct.

First, abilities' usefulness is kinda subjective and based on playstyle. That said, there are some that are more universally helpful. Of the ones you listed ink resistance and cold blooded are really good (although cold-blooded is a bit niche). Ninja squid is useful, but the nerf to swim speed has really hurt it. I still use it but you definitely need to be aware of its limitations. Stealth jump can be useful, but definitely not in the great category. It takes forever to jump, which wastes precious time, and super jumping is typically a bad idea anyway. It is great on tower control though, when you can jump to the tower and surprise people.

I guess bomb range up can be generally useful for anything that chucks bombs (doesn't affect sprinklers, splash walls, or beacons), but it is actually more of a niche ability. Unless you are a dedicated grenadier (which is a personal favorite of mine) I wouldn't suggest running it. You are likely better served with other abilities.

Comeback is actually really good. Especially with quick respawn. Dying is almost inevitable in the game, and becoming super squid for 20 seconds is awesome. It is better on weapons that are in the thick of it, like rollers and tentateks though.

Ink recovery is also really good, especially for long range weapons like the squelchers and chargers.

Opening gambit is widely considered trash compared to other headgear exclusives. Even compared to Comeback, you only get to be super squid at the beginning instead of periodically throughout the game. While the speed might help the initial push, unless you win immediately it isn't helping you as you'll need the whole game in turf wars and more impactful abilities in ranked.

Recon is also pretty terrible outside of niche builds or squads with voice comms.

Yeah, special duration isn't all that great...unless you DO dedicate slots to it because your weapon benefits from it. Anything with a bubbler or bomb rush can use it effectively. But definitely a niche ability.

Ink saver main is awesome and generally useful for every weapon if you don't have a dedicated build. Even weapons that are already ink efficient can benefit a few extra seconds of firing in tough spots. Other weapons, like the splattlings and splattershot pros require ink saver main to be the most effective.

Last ditch effort is bad even though I've seen people use it in turf war.

All of these abilities are actually really good. Stacking quick respawn on close range weapons (like the sploosh or rollers) is a valid tactic. It definitely shortens it by more than 1.5 seconds (although not to much more, iirc). Every second counts though, and getting back on the battlefield is definitely essential.

Swim speed is probably the most universally helpful ability. It allows you to get back into the action faster, it allows you to evade people better, dodge bombs more effectively, escape from a bad situation easier. I try to run at least one main or three (+) subs in every build. Speed is really important.

Likewise, run speed is awesome with lots of weapons. It makes 1v1 situations easier because you can simply run around with ridiculous quickness. N-Zaps running run speed is like fighting Sonic the Hedgehog.

Tenacity is also pretty darn good. Probably the best of the headgear exclusives. It enhances your special charge time, it doesn't matter how long it takes when you aren't inking. You should almost always be inking. Even still, getting specials charged is vital, and in solo queue, where you can't really rely on your team mates, having more specials is very useful. It really does make a difference.

If you need more information or explanation for my points just let me know.

1. Nozzlenoses have actually been buffed and are very effective weapons.
2. Yes, but you seem to have contradicted yourself from your gear analysis. This is true though: find your gun's strength's and weaknesses, use abilities that compliment it, and practice.

Blasters are definitely great in tower control. They can pressure the tower and get easy kills.

The inkbrush is OK, but inkbrushes should be relegated to turf war usually. Most of what you can do with an inkbrush (any version) can be accomplished with a weapon with better range (possible exception of the octobrush).

Krakens are good here because they can loaf around on the tower (although slightly nerfed, still effective). Splash walls are also good at defending the tower.

Yeah, you can use anything in turf war and still do ok.
Scoped versions are generally considered better because of the range. Tentateks, splattershots, .52 gals, .96 decos, and splash-o-matics (and neo) are all good for splat zones. You want things that can cover turf but also be offensive. Longer range guns can do well here as well (squelchers).

Anything with a kraken to make a path for the rainmaker. Killing power is really good, but any weapon you are comfortable with works. Make sure to run lots of swim speed.

Yep.

Thanks! Let me know if you need any more info for my points/counterpoints.[/QUOTE]
I'm thinking of just scrapping the entire gear ranking because everything is used for its own purposes. All th abilities have their own niche.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom