Spire Master Pt. I - The Challenge Begins [MINOR SPOILERS]

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
Hello everybody. I have been enjoying Side Order. Thoroughly.
In fact, I've not only managed to clear with every weapon, but I've also maxed out the color chip collection. True 1000% completion.
So, I asked myself, "now what?"

So, I'm challenging myself to beat the spire with every weapon, low hacks, and all the same color chip tone.
I intend to come to the definitive answer for which palettes are the strongest in Side Order.

Here are the rules:
  • Only hacks enabled are 3 Max Lives, maximum Floor Reset, and maximum Color Chip Bias
  • No switching Sub or Special weapons using Vending Machines
  • Must restart the run if forced to pick up a color chip that isn't the palette's favored tone
  • Failing with a palette more than twice allows 5 Max Lives on later runs

So far, I have completed with Agent 4's, Callie's, and Marie's palettes. Here are my findings:

- + - + -

Agent 4's Palette
Order Shot | Splat Bomb | Tri-Zooka | Range Color Chips
Agent 4's palette was as you would expect it to be: Pretty easy. Every aspect of the palette, even the favored chip tone, all favor versatility. You can clear any objective with ease, especially once you get enough special charge to have Tri-Zooka available as a panic button.

My experience was so simple I can hardly remember it. On my first run I had to floor reset so many times on the first few floors that I was forced to start over, but on my second run I encountered effectively zero issues. I could beat Rigorous floors without losing a life, and while tough enemies were hardly pushovers, I could beat anything with enough patience.

The clear best chip for this palette is Hindrance Damage, being the only chip to increase your damage at all.

Conclusion: Requires some patience, but can handle anything.

- + - + -

Callie's Palette
Order Roller | Burst Bomb | Kraken Royale | Power Color Chips
Callie's palette looks easy on paper, with a versatile sub weapon, an invulnerability special, and the ability to do massive damage after collecting enough color chips. So, is it? Well, it's very dependent on the objective. Kraken is not as strong as it seems, and Power doesn't help it.

My first two runs with Callie's palettes were failures, both in the third tier of the spire. Completing the challenge with this weapon was painful, but I did learn something valuable. My first fail occurred on Eternally-Shelterless Nightmare Gateway floor. My second occured on Cruel Sisyphean Eight-Shaped Floor. Both floors are Rigorous, and more importantly, Zones.
On my third run though, I barely lost any lives. My secret tactic? Completely avoid Rigorous Zones floors.

The best chip for this palette was a lot less clear, because Poison Ink and Main Damage (Distant) are both highly appealing picks, but ultimately the best chip is Main Firing Speed. Being able to paint the stage faster is invaluable.

Conclusion: Be careful, and avoid Rigorous Splat Zones at all costs.

- + - + -

Marie's Palette
Order Charger | Ink Mine | Triple Inkstrike | Support Color Chips
Most people agree that with the right upgrades, Marie's kit is completely broken. Are they right? Yep. Even without the instant charge that comes from maximum Quick Charge, the weapon can do a ton of damage with its main and special. Ink Mine also has its uses.

So far, Marie's palette has been the only one I've been able to clear with on the first attempt if you don't count Agent 4's. A lot of chips synergized well with the weapon, not even regarding Quick Charge. One particular praiseworthy chip is Splat Ink Recovery. I managed to complete Rigorous floors of all kinds once I had my third Quick Charge chip, and I was behind on upgrades due to getting a few nothing machines.
This weapon is indeed as broken as people make it out to be.

The best chip for this palette is Quick Charge. Always grab it. No exceptions.

Conclusion: Unbeatable for High Score runs, don't use without Color Chip Bias.

- + - + -
Well, thank you for reading my post.
Part II should be out on Wednesday or Thursday, detailing my runs with Big Man's and DJ Octavio's palettes.
Until then, have an excellent day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom