Spire Master Pt. II - Rise of the Machines [MINOR SPOILERS]

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
Hello everybody. I have decided that I'm not going to be a masochist.
Previous installations:

I am challenging myself to beat the spire with every weapon, low hacks, and all the same color chip tone.
I intend to come to the definitive answer for which palettes are the strongest in Side Order.

After trying to run through the spire with my fourth palette, Big Man's, I encountered a road block: Vending machines.
With my previous ruleset, vending machines were garbage. If I didn't get the right tone of color chip, I didn't get anything. So, because I actually wanted to gain three rows of color chips each run, I've loosened the rules a little:
  • Hacks enabled include:
    • 3 Max Lives
    • 1x Damage Reduction
    • Maximum Floor Reset
    • Maximum Color Chip Bias
    • ~600 Vending Machine Reset
This leaves me with a decent 2.0x Risky Rewards modifier.
Additionally, since I forgot to mention it in part 1, all Drone hacks will be enabled for palettes that favour drone chips.

Without further ado, onto the runs:

- + - + -

Agent 4's, Callie's, and Marie's Palettes Redux
I had a lot of time on my hands.​

Because I have too much spare time and a strong aversion to bias, I ran through the spire with all three of the part 1 palettes following the new rule set. My findings for all three remain practically unchanged. Knowing better the strengths and weaknesses of each weapon, the runs with them were practically free. Later runs would prove that it was not solely due to the damage reduction hack.

Agent 4's Palette | Conclusion: Ink everything, and you can handle anything

Callie's Palette | Conclusion: Raw damage isn't everything, avoid Splat Zones

Marie's Palette | Conclusion: A slow starter, but easily best for high scoring

- + - + -

Big Man's Palette
Order Slosher | Suction Bomb | Triple Inkstrike | Support Color Chips
My first run through with Big Man's palette was what made me decide to update the ruleset.
My general strategy regarding vending machines is that I will only visit them if no favoured colour chips are available, with one re-roll if I'm low on membux and on a guaranteed vending machine floor. The exception is if I'm on my last life.

On this first run, my luck was hilariously bad. I got numerous vending machine floors, I had to visit all of them to maintain my streak, and only one of them had any support color chips. I was so sick of this run that I lost it on the 29th floor, trying to re-roll until I got another vending machine with my ~5000 membux, getting none, and ending with no options for support chips. I then decided that I was not going to tolerate this anymore.

My second run with Big Man's palette was a breath of fresh air. I actually managed to get color chips, and was having loads of fun blasting jelletons off the edge of the map with strategically positioned suction bombs. Ultimately, Big Man's is a very fun and interesting palette with much less focus on the main weapon.

The best chip for this palette is undoubtedly Ink Saver (Sub). No support chip will increase your damage, so you have to rely on bomb spam. Honorable mentions are Sticky Ink and Explosion Knockback.

Conclusion: A versatile kit that tests your skill with bombs.

- + - + -

DJ Octavio's Palette
Order Splatling | Splash Wall | Booyah Bomb | Drone Color Chips
Many people have considered DJ Octavio's palette very strong due to the power of the Order Splatling, but what if you aren't able to buff the main weapon? This run ended up being incredibly interesting, because it showcased Octavio's palette in a light I've never seen it in before. I also gained a newfound appreciation for Splash Wall, which proved itself an asset on certain floors.

My runs with Octavio's palette were... interesting, to say the least. My first run, I chose the drone abilities Splat Bomb, Ink Mine, Sprinkler, Killer Wail, and Inkstrike. I was determined to see if the maxed-out drone sprinkler was strong. It was not. My run went fairly smooth, with pearl blowing everything up constantly regarding most of the floors. Then I came to Flying_Springing_Open-Season_Divided.Floor, with danger. No Drone. Goodbye run.

I attempted to revive my first run twice with prlz, since I had gained 9999 at this point from the repeat runs of the New Squidbeak Splatoon's palettes. Both times I got no drone chips, so it ended up being a massive waste. I then decided to start over and try a new strategy.

For my second run with the palette, I replaced Drone Sprinkler with Drone Items. It ended up being the wisest choice I have made and will make in the entire Spire Master challenge. Drone Items is awesome. I made my way back up to the third tier of floors with little issue, pearl blowing stuff up just as well, now also fuelling my Booyah Bombs. Eventually, I came to the point where my only choice for drone chips was a Normal Danger floor. I decided to not spend more membux on re-rolls and bite the bullet. What were the odds it was No Drone? Well, the odds were high enough.

After a long-fought, gruelling battle chasing after Panicking Alla Mambos on the gateway floor, I was once again defeated. The Order Splatling does excellent damage, but without any mobility or support buffs, clearing even basic jelletons without getting hit was incredibly difficult. I once again tried to revive the run with prlz; I was on an earlier floor, so it was cheaper. Luck graced me with a drone chip, and I managed to eventually clear.

The best chip for this palette is definitely not a drone chip, but for the purposes of this run, Drone Inkstrike was an asset. Honorable mentions go to Splat Drone Gauge and Drone Items. Dishonorable mention goes to Drone Sprinkler. Don't buy it.

Conclusion: Not a high score weapon by a long shot, avoid Danger.

- + - + -
Well, this ended up coming out a bit later than I expected, and also ended up being a lot bigger than I expected.
If you did decide to read through all of this, you have my utmost gratitude.
I will be covering Pearl and Marina's palettes in the next installment, which will arrive in 3-5 business days.
Until then, be big, and have a great day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom