• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatfest Double Feature: Baseball vs Soccer/Salty vs Sweet Popcorn

Tsene

Full Squid
NNID
freakzene
Switch Friend Code
SW-6942-9915-1395
Oh boy yeah the grapples. I've gotten splatted quite a few times when I throw a triangle bomb on the mid platform - if it doesn't kill anyone and I get pulled in there I get killed instantly :rolleyes: But they've saved me more times than lead to my doom.

I'd love to use a blaster in Splatfests but it's always the same issue - aerosprays, splooshes etc simply won't ink the spawn or any other important area when I pick one. The horror of inking big areas with a blaster.. :oops:

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Seems like Soccer is more popular as I've been playing mirror matches fairly regularly. Kinda surprised as I thought Baseball was the bigger sport here in the US, but I guess I don't know my own country very well. :L

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
@Lonely_Dolphin, Keep in mind you also have the rest of the Americas and Australia to deal with as well; places where soccer is viewed as a commonly played sport where as in the US it doesn't fit within the holy trinity of baseball, football, and basketball.

Myself I wound up on Team Baseball because some friends needed a fourth so I weak linked myself to them. One mirror match and barely any soccer teams above 2000. And those almost there or slightly above it... we sorta knocked back down. Oof and condolences to them.

I then soloed the last almost 50 points to royalty with the new clash blaster and played extremely hideous to smash-n-grab some quick victories by abusing that pop gun's mobility and AOE. It was nice and quick, but still felt dirty. 7/10 but would rollick with it again for some reason.

The Shifty Station I somehow like. Don't know why. I'm not excited with it but it's likable. The grapple hooks offer some sweet movement options to trapeze around the stage (11/10, please make more!) and neat plays, like a spoolsh using friend who will melee under it, swing up, then splashdown as they drop.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
Wow, what a Splatfest (I'm on the European side of things). Am I salty? Nah, I'm sweet, very sweet right now. I have no idea what actually happened tonight but my Splatfest Power wouldn't stop climbing, and it reached the point where it completely obliterated my old best Power rating, so I believe I'll end up in the Top 100 this time. Shifty was rather boring and uninteresting to me, the idea of using grappling hooks was cool, but it was just an annoyance, especially when messing with the Clash Neo and being sent flying everywhere :p I can pretty much back up all specials tethering you. Throwing Ink Storms at them "removes" the special but it still activates, so you can abuse that to charge another storm whilst the current one paints, something that usually isn't possible unless you die with it active/activating. We know Sting Ray does it, bomb launchers will, I think Splashdown did, and I'd assume Baller would too. I didn't really get much footage from this Splatfest, but I have a cool little clip when I was using the Custom Jr. before giving up and going for N-ZAP 85 (a more reliable gun that paints and kills):

And finally here's my all-time highest Power (a fact I find amusing since it's referred to as Salty Power :p):

I pretty much lost 40 points in my last match, dropping from 2395 or so to the number you see here. That's when I decided to stop, as we all know it takes ages to climb up the power numbers and you can lose it all and more (and usually do) in one defeat. All in all a great Splatfest, and one I can look back on fondly, had a very high win percentage overall despite not keeping track of wins/losses, and only one mirror match which we got destroyed in (was around a 60-80 point power difference in our teams, not a surprising defeat).

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Representing Team Baseball here in America, and it's gone relatively swimmingly on my end. While there were plenty of swole Soccer teams, Baseball felt more victorious as I didn't experience too many losses in a row. In fact, I managed to get to Defender in only my first four matches:

Overall, I didn't break my Splatfest Power record but what I did get was still one of the best I had so far. Looking forward to the results and seeing if Baseball knocks it out of the park!

HeadEndDAC

Inkling
NNID
HeadEndDAC
Switch Friend Code
SW-5641-3317-5225
Representing Team Baseball here in America, and it's gone relatively swimmingly on my end. While there were plenty of swole Soccer teams, Baseball felt more victorious as I didn't experience too many losses in a row. In fact, I managed to get to Defender in only my first four matches:
I'm on team soccer. Went against more soccer teams but lost a lot against baseball teams. Would not be surprised at all if baseball gets the grand slam

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
The bubbles activate the graplinks as well. Imagine my surprise when somebody on my team bursts a bubble I forgot I released whilst lining up a shot with the e Litre and being sent halfway across the map mid charge.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I went all out this time, hadn't yet done so in a Splatoon 2 Splatfest. Hopefully this is good enough for Top 5, it's been so long since I last made it!

@Lonely_Dolphin, Keep in mind you also have the rest of the Americas and Australia to deal with as well; places where soccer is viewed as a commonly played sport where as in the US it doesn't fit within the holy trinity of baseball, football, and basketball.

Myself I wound up on Team Baseball because some friends needed a fourth so I weak linked myself to them. One mirror match and barely any soccer teams above 2000. And those almost there or slightly above it... we sorta knocked back down. Oof and condolences to them.

I then soloed the last almost 50 points to royalty with the new clash blaster and played extremely hideous to smash-n-grab some quick victories by abusing that pop gun's mobility and AOE. It was nice and quick, but still felt dirty. 7/10 but would rollick with it again for some reason.

The Shifty Station I somehow like. Don't know why. I'm not excited with it but it's likable. The grapple hooks offer some sweet movement options to trapeze around the stage (11/10, please make more!) and neat plays, like a spoolsh using friend who will melee under it, swing up, then splashdown as they drop.
True although I don't think I get matched up with Australians (I live on East coast), but they'll still count towards the overall score. I still had mirrors somewhat regularly, and with you only having one mirror, probably safe to say Team Soccer has the popularity point then. Based on your experience we may have lost the team point, but after my performance I'm feeling pretty good about the solo point!

I thought this Shifty was just alright aswell. I didn't really take advantage of the grappling much, but the layout was neat. It can be very hard to get back into mid though, especially since bombs become risky with accidental hook activations.

Leni

Inkling
NNID
neptunia
Switch Friend Code
SW-5016-3156-9135
Okay, this is the first time ever (yes, EVER!) my Splatfest Power is below 2000 after having earned the Queen title. I know when I mess up, I'm often quick to blame myself. But this time, I think the problem was our team as a whole. We didn't cooperate and most of my allies were low-level players (kids?). :confused:

If Team Sweet wins (which is super unlikely), then I'll eat my hat, and then my shoe! And videotape it for you!

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I'm often doubtful most low levels are ever really kids as not everyone chooses or possesses copious time or energy to put into the game. Plus there are plenty of other things to play outside of Splatoon too (hah~ ha, pun! x_X). That and there'll always be new players. All these types and more tend to show up in high volumes during Splatfests however.

Kinda sad-ish that the winning sport is now canonically the best. Honestly, it bores me—but oh well, I still got my snails! But when does that blasted update arrive?! I've got all these snails and money for the new clothes and I want to spend it all dern it!!!

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
This is going to be a win for Sweet. I'm on Salty and while I feel I'm doing pretty well, it's just loss after loss.

The stage is okay. The layout is pretty fun, but the central gimmick is kind of annoying because I'm playing a weapon with Suction Bomb Rush. Every time a bomb explodes near one of those hangers, it cuts the special short. And it's otherwise a pretty good layout for Bomb Rush, too...

Cyan

Inkling Commander
Well I can't guarantee which team will win our Splatfest, but I did review my Last 50 Matches in SplatNet 2 and saw I played 32 Splatfest matches, winning 26 and losing 6 (1 loss was a mirror match, all other matches were against Sweet), so I got a 26-5 overall win-loss ratio. A fair few of my matches were closely contested, but most were just stomps by my team, with a few the other way, and 3 or 4 were swung in the last 20-30 seconds (one memorable moment was my team securing 3 splats in the last 20 seconds on Shifty when I was respawning and pushing them into danger, which caused someone on Sweet to turn salty and rage quit the match mere seconds before it finished) from both sides. We'll see shortly, but I feel somewhat confident with how the results will turn out, at any rate my performance was satisfying, so come win or loss I don't exactly mind which side is victorious.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I'm happy I finally got a win in Splatfest.

The last two I played were losses. Action vs Comedy I was fine with losing cause it was close, but Chicken vs Egg was infuriating because how bad some of my teams were and the less even win:lose ratio reflected that.

Though this Splatfest was a close game, 51:49 for both battles. Super close.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
Results are in for Europe!

Popularity: 44% - 56% (Sweet wins)
Solo Wins: 52% - 48% (Salty wins)
Team Wins: 54% - 46% (Salty wins)

Overall: 2-1

Team Salty wins!

I didn't get in to Top 100, which is slightly surprising. It's getting really hard to make it in there without a ridiculous time investment, so I don't think I'll bother, 2408 is usually good enough but not so this time. Ah well, I'll take the win and move on :P

Tsene

Full Squid
NNID
freakzene
Switch Friend Code
SW-6942-9915-1395
Sweet being more popular was a total shock! I did get 3 mirror matches but didn't think much of it.

Aww... another loss for me ;~; congrulations salty!

Leni

Inkling
NNID
neptunia
Switch Friend Code
SW-5016-3156-9135
I'm back on my feet. ^.^`` I'm surprised how close we were on Solo battles. I thought for sure we'd land at 43 percent something.

To be fair, I think I did poorly in some games. I was being too aggressive. People will notice you if you go berserk in the middle of the map, swinging your Splat Roller in random directions... Also, I found the Shifty Station map very confusing.

Anyhoo, congratulations, Team Salty and Baseball! (I would lose THAT Splatfest too, I would be on Team Soccer... loathe sports like the plague, though. :confused:)

Last edited:

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Where were all those good team Salty players when I was online?

Ah well, we won, and like always in life, that's ultimately all that matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom