Splatfest Recap: And The Winners Are...

Hey there squids and kids! Hopefully the Splatfest was inkredibly fresh for all who joined in. Callie and Marie sang their hearts out, the ink flied, and the competition was fierce. There was a lot of trash talking going on between those on either sides of the event as well but in the end only one team could be victorious. Let us lament in the losses and celebrate the winners. Here are the results!

Japan
Winner: Red Fox Udon
  • Score: 161
  • Popularity: 67%
  • Wins: 47%
Loser: Green Tanuki Soba
  • Score: 139
  • Popularity: 33%
  • Wins: 53%
Europe
Winner: Rock
  • Score: 170
  • Popularity: 64%
  • Wins: 53%
Loser: Pop
  • Score: 130
  • Popularity: 26%
  • Wins: 47%
North America
Winner: Dogs
  • Score: 160
  • Popularity: 62%
  • Wins: 49%

Loser: Cats
  • Score: 140
  • Popularity: 38%
  • Wins: 51%
Amidst the fun of the Splatfest however there have been some concerns from fans. Many players played on one sided teams where there were not even full 4v4 (with some player even suffering in 1v4 fights). At times teams were even forced to face up against players who had voted similar as well. All teams with the highest popularity won as well even despite the win rate being higher for others which has some upset.

There is sure to be much discussion going on about upcoming Splatfests both positive and negative. We hope everyone had as much fun as possible and will stay here on Squidboards to keep that discussion going strong. Until the next Splatfest be sure to stay fresh!

Comments

From the beginning of the Splatfest players knew that points would be decided by a combination of popularity and wins so I don't see why its a problem now. Also the wins were close for cat vs dog so its not like cats were completely better they only won 51% more. If it went down to wins only then the least popular team would always win because there are more bad or decent players than great players. Or also there are more players thatjust got the game. So you would think the popular team would have more losses since they would have more of these players. If only teams were more balanced because as team dog I would have to play against my own team team so many times and those just ended in wasted wins that didn't count.

I think Splatfest needs some tinkering on the server side, as some of the uneven games and matchmaking decisions were royally screwed. I really enjoyed Splatfest because the game does a great job of making the event feel special and unique, from Inkopolis's redesign, the night levels, and the awesome music. Seeing an Inkling's hair glow in a night stage looks amazing too.

The Spaltfest was really awesome, but when you get into the story mode, it is still normal, oh well the dogs one at the end of the day so I am happy! It would also be cool if SQ hosted their own voting system to see who the people here on SQ want to win the Spaltfest.

Last edited:
From the beginning of the Splatfest players knew that points would be decided by a combination of popularity and wins so I don't see why its a problem now. Also the wins were close for cat vs dog so its not like cats were completely better they only won 51% more. If it went down to wins only then the least popular team would always win because there are more bad or decent players than great players. Or also there are more players thatjust got the game. So you would think the popular team would have more losses since they would have more of these players. If only teams were more balanced because as team dog I would have to play against my own team team so many times and those just ended in wasted wins that didn't count.
Actually no. I don't about you, but I never heard that popularity would be a factor. Besides, it's still a pretty stupid factor in scoring the winning side. It can essentially become a "which side is more popular" contest. Just look at the results for Japan. Tanuki Soba had a higher win rate but because its popularity was so low, it didn't stand a chance of coming close to winning. Splatfests really should be about who wins the most games rather than how many side with what.
The good thing is, if you played enough of it, you don't walk away with nothing. Plus, the music and the night ascetics are pretty cool looking.

Actually no. I don't about you, but I never heard that popularity would be a factor. Besides, it's still a pretty stupid factor in scoring the winning side. It can essentially become a "which side is more popular" contest. Just look at the results for Japan. Tanuki Soba had a higher win rate but because its popularity was so low, it didn't stand a chance of coming close to winning. Splatfests really should be about who wins the most games rather than how many side with what.
The good thing is, if you played enough of it, you don't walk away with nothing. Plus, the music and the night ascetics are pretty cool looking.
It was in the strategy guide NO ONE READ! Sorry for the BOLD statement, I'll see myself out.

Oh, btw loved splatfest.

Actually some of us didn't know and thought it didn't count towards the actual win count- the only time I heard someone mention it they actually thought it would be used to give the smaller team an advantage or something- I didn't believe them, and they ended up being wrong anyways. You can complain about having to battle other dog teams, but when cat teams ended up having less than 4 players in a match those were easy wins for team dog, yet team cat still nullified those easy matches only to get penalized again for having a lower amount of supporters. That is why it was a problem/issue.

Good job to the winners of all categories! To the losers, you always have next time to dedicate yourself to win!

People act like it's a pure popularity contest right now...... I disagree. The battle rate accounts for 2/3 of the whole system, which is basically the majority. The Cats only needed a 57% win rate to win the game. Now, I know some of you might think this is a lot, but I don't see it teeter-totting too far away from the balance point. Of course, no individual could single-handedly bring their team up. I know a lot of Cat players here who've won a huge majority of their matches. But it's a team effort. The fact that the win rate was only 51% for cats shows there are bad players in addition to great players on the cat team, since most cat players claim they win at least 75% of all matches.
In the end, I believe Splatfest is just to show support for your side, and see which side gets more support by calculating how many people back it up and how much support the players can invest in it. I think it would be better if the win rate were tripled, but I dislike the idea of just flat out removing popularity. Maybe if the win rate for cats were huge enough to make the Splatfest a closer match, I'd consider it. But as cats won just a bit more than 1/2 their matches, I'd say this system isn't the popularity contest people are pointing fingers at for "trying so hard, but still losing at."

I agree with Zypker above. It's about showing support for one's side. Nothing is wrong with the way scores are calculated. The rewards being played for are not real items and have no real monetary value, not to mention the minor difference in rewards between "winners" and "losers", so it doesn't matter who wins. It's just a video game.

@SmashCapps check your popularity percentages for Europe. The percentages you have there don't add up to 100%. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom