• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatfest Solutions

What will be the best solution for the NA Splatfest problem?

• Nothing. Splatfests are fine the way they are.

• Change the wins multiplier to x4

• Change the wins multiplier to x3

• Change the wins multiplier to x2

• Have better options, where the popularity is actually close.

Results are only viewable after voting.

yoyo

Inkling
I think something should be changed just a bit; either reduce the multiplier or get rid of popularity altogether. Or maybe the players themselves should change and stop picking the team they think will be less popular with kids. ;)

NNID
m0nkeyd0g
Better team options, or as I'd say, more "ambiguous" team options is the best solution. That's why Art vs. Science worked out so differently.

Then, if the problem was actually fixed, there would no longer be any need for the popularity factor in calculating the final scores.

karl childers

Full Squid
I currently don't have a problem with the way the winning team is decided since I cant stand the idea of a team winning based on popularity. There IS an issue with tryhards picking teams they think will be unpopular with the kids, but there is nothing Nintendo can do about a competitive community filled with lame people.

There are a couple things I would change about the splatfests though.

One thing I'd change is giving players an alternative means of earning Super Sea Snails. I hate having to spend a HUGE chunk of my Saturday trying to reach King/Queen.

Another thing I'd change is the clothing gear. I wish they'd make it so that you can wear your preferred shirt and it is covered up with the Splatfest shirt once you jump into the lobby. It's annoying how everyone spams echolocators knowing very well that we can't wear Cold Blooded to counter it. I often have to switch to a longer-range weapon out of frustration.

Last edited:

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
You want a solution? Here it is, stop this BS idea of "the least popular team wins" and pick the team you prefer. That's your answer.

These communities are the cause of this, if you care so much about the snails, pick the least popular team, if you want to win for your team, pick the team you prefer. In the end, because of the information that was embedded into the communities brains, it won't be going away. They can change the multiplier and there'd still be some way for us to exploit it.

In the end, the REAL solution is. . . To get over it.

97Stephen

Pro Squid
If they want to make it back into a fun "competition" and stop this trend, they should either make a different way to get snails, or make the amount of snails people get equal. I know people wouldn't like the latter option because it will make it no longer a competition but it would solve the problem. People wouldn't feel compelled to pick the "winning" team to get the extra snails.

97Stephen

Pro Squid
GIving everyone the same amount of snails is supporting the 'everyone wins for being there' thing, which would suck majorly. It's not how everything else works.
I agree. It's not perfect and I don't like that mentality either. It would fix the problem at hand though.

EL KAAPO

Inkling
NNID
Pee-G.quatro20
i dont see anything wrong with the way splatfest are held at all. After nintendo made the win % x4 it makes the best team win making popularity a bit obsolete. sure there's gonna be try hards but all i can say to that is git gud. the fact that you have to spend time ranking up to king promotes playing for your team. theres always been an alternate to snails, 30000 splatcoins. The +4 snails the winning team gets isnt really much either. Your likely to use at least 3 snails on a one star pice of clothing (if your lucky and get the perfect reroll first try). Nintendo isnt going to change the brand or main ability of the splatfest tees either. i like the idea of changing both the ability and brand to change things up. Nintendo also carefully chose what special abilities are exclusive to what type of clothing (hats, clothes, shoes) for the exact reason people chose echolocaters during splatfest and that is strategy.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
i dont see anything wrong with the way splatfest are held at all. After nintendo made the win % x4 it makes the best team win making popularity a bit obsolete. sure there's gonna be try hards but all i can say to that is git gud. the fact that you have to spend time ranking up to king promotes playing for your team. theres always been an alternate to snails, 30000 splatcoins. The +4 snails the winning team gets isnt really much either. Your likely to use at least 3 snails on a one star pice of clothing (if your lucky and get the perfect reroll first try). Nintendo isnt going to change the brand or main ability of the splatfest tees either. i like the idea of changing both the ability and brand to change things up. Nintendo also carefully chose what special abilities are exclusive to what type of clothing (hats, clothes, shoes) for the exact reason people chose echolocaters during splatfest and that is strategy.
It's at x6 now, and Art won both Popularity and Wins under the x4. And this has nothing to do with the Splatfest tees or abilities, but how to fix Splatfest so there's a fairly equal chance that either team will win.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
For the sequel, I'd make it so the game assigns people to one team or another. That, or make people choose between Callie or Marie at the start of the game and have them automatically assigned to that sister's team each Splatfest. It may not be perfect, but it would prevent all the serious players picking one team and screwing the other. The ultimate risk of giving people a choice is that they will, when left to their own devices, make the choice that completely ****s everything up.

EL KAAPO

Inkling
NNID
Pee-G.quatro20
It's at x6 now, and Art won both Popularity and Wins under the x4. And this has nothing to do with the Splatfest tees or abilities, but how to fix Splatfest so there's a fairly equal chance that either team will win.
How do tees and abilities not have to do with it? by changing the main ability to let say hypothetically cold blooded this will make echo less usefull. Even though Splatoon is a pretty well balanced game already, splatfest is a competition with nothing but turf war and as sun tzu said "all war is based on deception" he also said “So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.” what im trying to say is splatfest was designed to be a ruthless war.
Also dont forget "all is fair in love and war"

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
The only way to stop people from banding together in an attempt to ensure that they pick the winning team is to de-incentivize winning--that is, make it so that the winners don't get anything extra from winning. Otherwise, people will do what they have to do to get those extra snails, and you can't stop them. If the win multiplier is low enough, they'll flock to the more popular team instead, and if the win multiplier stays high, they'll keep picking the less popular team.

(And actually, I'm not even sure that taking away the additional reward for winning would be enough. Quite often, people join the same team as popular streamers so that they can join lobbies at the same time and maximize their chances of getting their buddies as teammates. Considering how lame-brained random Splatfest players can be, I don't blame them.)

97Stephen

Pro Squid
Neutral themes with no 'obvious' better option seems to be the overall best option.
Neutral themes like South Pole vs. North Pole are so boring though. Why not pick the "winning" team. Although with that boring a theme it would be pretty hard.

karl childers

Full Squid
The only way to stop people from banding together in an attempt to ensure that they pick the winning team is to de-incentivize winning--that is, make it so that the winners don't get anything extra from winning. Otherwise, people will do what they have to do to get those extra snails, and you can't stop them. If the win multiplier is low enough, they'll flock to the more popular team instead, and if the win multiplier stays high, they'll keep picking the less popular team.

(And actually, I'm not even sure that taking away the additional reward for winning would be enough. Quite often, people join the same team as popular streamers so that they can join lobbies at the same time and maximize their chances of getting their buddies as teammates. Considering how lame-brained random Splatfest players can be, I don't blame them.)
Players will still want to pick the winning team just so they can level up to King/Queen faster. There's really nothing that can be done to prevent tryhards from spoiling the fun. Perhaps if there was an alternative means of getting super sea snails and there was an option to play ranked instead of splatfests it would help curb that sort of behavior even though it wouldn't prevent it entirely.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I agree with @karl childers. The way to fix splatfest is to provide a different way to obtain super sea snails. I've said this before, but they are simply too valuable to be left just to a splatfest. I've been over this a few times, so I'll just copy and paste a few things:

Are sea snails too valuable?
"Yes they are. That is the problem. People who care about sea snails will choose the less popular side in order to have a higher concentration of good players to get those extra snails. Snails either need to be devalued or accessible outside of splatfest. At least if Nintendo actually cares about making splatfest fun or an accurate reflection of popularity.

You should be able to get snails as a way of leveling up after you reach 50. For me, that would make splatfest fun again."

Casuals get destroyed:
"I honestly feel splatfests are broken. Sea snails are too valuable to leave them up ONLY to splatfests. It isn't fun anymore and hasn't been for some time. My wife gives up after 3 matches because they just aren't fun. The casuals get destroyed during a splatfest because all the serious players are gunning for those sea snails."

Splatfest causes grinding:
"I'm just tired of grinding, unable to change my shirt, listening to the same song, in one mode, losing A LOT, for 5 hours. All because I'd lose out on at least 540,000 coins if I didn't."

Cost is prohibitive:
"I know you can pay 30,000 per slot/roll. That cost is ridiculous! In one splatfest you can get the equivalent of 720,000 coins. The amount of time to grind to that amount is DAYS. By losing a splatfest you lose out on 180,000 coins. Even at S+ rank you need to win around 5 times to get ONE snail.

One of the best parts of the game (build construction) is incredibly cost prohibitive and makes it so that there is too much riding on a splatfest for it to be anything but a slog to get to royalty."

So yeah. IMO, the way to fix splatfest was to make it worth less, so that people won't feel as pressured to win. Splatfest is supposed to be good casual fun. It isn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom