• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatfests?

Captain Woomy

Woomy Enthusiast
it would make sense to still pay SOME type of attention to the original.
I feel like Nintendo's done with the original for the most part and they're moving on. But I could see them possibly releasing a new update or something to fix a few small things. But there hasn't been one of those in a while...

CodyMKW

Pro Squid
NNID
CodyMKW
Switch Friend Code
SW-2549-4631-6600
Different weapons and maps mate. For instance the Splat Roller has a completely different kit in Splatoon 2 with a new mechanic, and of course some of Splatoon 2's maps simply aren't in the original.

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
If they bring back the splatfest please make it optional.

Amarae

Splatoon subreddit & discord Mod
Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
I guess I can see how players got fed up with Splatfests, so it's possible it might be opt-in. Personally I found that Splatfests were like, the really cool and unique element of Splatoon and part of what gave it so much character compared to other shooters out there. I really hope they make a strong comeback...

with less lag.

Captain Woomy

Woomy Enthusiast
Splatfest localization was more so that they could have sponsored and relevant themes. Japan had a lot of sponsored and brand-name splatfest themes, NA and EU only had a couple. It's not impossible to have global splatfests but most Americans aren't concerned with flavors of onigiri.
Yeah, I don't even remember what that is. XD But if they made all Splatfests (or whatever the new events will be called) global, they'd adjust the themes to make them something everyone can relate to, like the Miitomo fancy party vs costume party Splatfest.

SplatGrease

Senior Squid
NNID
splatsplatoon
Nintendo hasn't said anything yet, but I'm assuming the splatfests will be returning to Splatoon 2, and hopefully for longer than it lasted on the Wii U. But with the Nintendo Switch not being region locked, will all splatfests be worldwide? Or will the Switch use what country the player selected they're from on the system to determine which regional Splatfest they'll battle in? I've been told that the eShop will have different games available depending on which part of the world you say you're from on your Switch. If that's the case, then why not do it for splatfests? But with paid online services, I'm hoping the server won't be a mess during worldwide Splatfests like it was for the Wii U.

And while I plan on participating in every splatfest, do you think this time around players will be given a choice on whether they want to participate in one or not?
[possibly mentioned already cant be bothered to read whole thread]
Splatfests were mentioned but everyone overlooked it in Famitsu's interview

They said that online multiplayer shall not be region locked so players of all nations will battle against each other HOWEVER splatfests shall not be region locked, they kind of confirmed splatfests indirectly. I also doubt people will have the option to not participate, the reason being they would have to have more servers running at once for just 1 continent which costs more money. Splatfests more than most likely will be mandatory, and if you don't wanna play just don't play for the weekend or do private battles or story mode. There's enough to do without participating in splatfests

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
I think the region lock is unrelated to whether Splatfests are international. After all each Nintendo account is locked to the region you assign it to, so international barriers aren't really removed. You just get to decide on which side of the barrier you want to be rather than being forced to stick to the one where you actually come from.

In any case, I don't know if I'd really like international Splatfests. I must say I'm not necessarily... enjoying the presence of players from the US. They're absolute Hit & Miss players. Either they're quite talented or not at all. Back in Splatoon 1 I have nearly exclusively been connected to the much more consistent Japanese players, who all meet a certain standard with little to no exceptions. This consistency made for capable team mates and challenging opponents at a constant rate. Now during international Splatfests where I was forced to interact with players from the US, that was not so much the case. There was always one or more underwhelming player below all our standards in either team. That made it feel like Splatfests were a lot more luck related. I'd personally really just keep it between us Europeans during Splatfests.

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
Seeing that I missed all the splatfests for Splatoon, I hope to participate in most for Splat2n. Even if there ends up being different events, or multiple events, like say an Octoling rush weekend where Octoling hordes take over the maps and teams of four have to survive to the end, with say 3 lives, and should any Octolings touch the spawn it counts as a loss. It sounds pretty ridiculous yes, but it would be an interesting co op, and could be a way to utilise the app.

Anyways, I don't mind too much if splatfests are region locked or not, but I'd be interested to see how it went with just European players.

SplatGrease

Senior Squid
NNID
splatsplatoon
Seeing that I missed all the splatfests for Splatoon, I hope to participate in most for Splat2n. Even if there ends up being different events, or multiple events, like say an Octoling rush weekend where Octoling hordes take over the maps and teams of four have to survive to the end, with say 3 lives, and should any Octolings touch the spawn it counts as a loss. It sounds pretty ridiculous yes, but it would be an interesting co op, and could be a way to utilise the app.

Anyways, I don't mind too much if splatfests are region locked or not, but I'd be interested to see how it went with just European players.
so what you want is something similar to the overwatch events, in which you have a small time frame in splatoons case a weekend where a small event goes off, during this event ranked/turf/ is removed and a whole new gamemode accompanies it, either that or a new gamemode accompanies ranked and turf like the one you gave us "octoling rush" or something its an interesting idea I shall admit however i dont really think that's splatoons charm level. I feel like festivals are something that just fits splatoons world. I generally even if I tried couldn't think of anything decent enough to replace splatfests considering how beautifully made they were and how they run well. However splatfest improvements would be to remove the ranking system where you would be paired with players amongst a very similar splatfest score or something, like overwatch once again they also have in ranked where you have a number that describes your skill level, your team and opponents would have a very similar number to you and you would all form an average number, thats good in overwatch but in splatoon im not sure. Your starting point was determined by your rank which for me was S+99 which gives me a huge starting point, and being region locked the amounts of S+ europeans to fight with was very scarce leading to me being only able to find 1 game in on an average 5 attempts, also they need to make it so the servers are smoother, generally we sometimes had server maintenance during splatfests and also players would join a splatfest lobby and within 1-2 seconds leave it and became a frustration, aside from that splatfest is fine, what I would like to see ADDED is being able to keep shirts if you WIN the splatfest and also give prizes like free clothing for splatfests wins, super snails were great and all but there wasn't much sense of accomplishment to them as they could easily be wasted because spyke is a jerk and wont give you good abilities, recieving free clothes may also be a dissapointment but maybe you could have an option of which prize you would like?
I dont know but thats just what i like especially considering splatoon 2 has focused and put in a lot of effort to inkling customisation and fashion sense

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
It pretty much negates the excuse that Nintendo has been saying that they need to do something new for each sequel and whatnot, which was what was holding back the F-Zero franchise all these years. So hopefully we get a new F-Zero for the Switch? (I can only hope at this rate.) Anyways, despite the fact that Splatoon 1 and 2 are so alike, I can guarantee the "feel" of both games will still be different, but familiar.
You know the whole "if it ain't broke" bit? F-Zero is broke, or rather, doesn't sell. It needs an Awakening level turnaround, and making just another F-Zero (like the three/four we got in a row on GC/GBA) isn't going to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom