• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Splatoon 2 as a major esport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.HawK

The Artist
Something I want to just make sure people are aware of when it comes to the talk of esports.

The game has the makings and the potential but there's a bit of of a contrast between the expectations and the reality of something big like nintendo going into esports as a new business endeavor.

The problem isnt a matter of when they do it, it's not a matter of how, it's literally a matter of "if".
https://compete.kotaku.com/nintendo-responds-to-smash-bros-pros-callout-wants-to-1796177733

This link brings you to an interview with Reggie fils-aime where he responds to a callout that Hungrybox, a Pro Melee player, made towards nintendo for not elevating the competitive community's status from grassroots to pro. Understandably the issue has led to some confusion as to whether or not nintendo actually supports the scene or not despite the efforts attempted.

One of the biggest things to take away from this is one simply underlying thing that reggie himself admits about their view on something like an esports league,

"Nintendo just doesn’t want to do a league. Fils-Aime said as much to me when describing the company’s philosophy about competitive gaming: “It’s community-oriented. It’s enabling the community to drive it forward. We have relationships, obviously, with entities like Evo and Battlefly. We want to do this much more at a grassroots level than others’ visions around leagues and big up-front payments and things of that nature.”
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So to essentially answer the question of "is (any nintendo game here) going to be esports?", the answer is no.

You can see various examples of main Esports titles (Dota 2, League of Legends, Overwatch, CS:GO, etc.) and see how much of a different kind of business that is in comparison to grassroots competitive. It's not just a matter of hosting tournaments or having some sponsors or a prize pool/pot. There is a ludicris amount of money and investment that goes on in that particular part of the industry alone that grassroots scenes like ours and even smash alone arent able to do without the company.

To add to this the numbers just arent in our favor, western splatoon competitively is incredibly small in comparison to Japan, and even there things like esports as we know it arent much of a thing (If I remember correctly) because of a specific law detailing a cash prize gap that would essentially scare off sponsors. https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Trends/Legal-barrier-hobbles-esports-in-game-crazy-Japan?page=1

"The prize money in Japan is pocket change by comparison. That is because of the act against unjustifiable premiums and misleading representations, which puts a 100,000 yen ($895) cap on cash prizes for events deemed to be aimed at selling a specific product."

"This essentially stifles any sort of business opportunities" in this area, as said in the article.

Money is absolutely necessary in this business, it doesnt matter how much you want something to happen if it doesnt have the financial capabilities and if the company has no interest there is no chance of it happening period. As much as I wouldnt want to sound like a spoil sport, it's simply how things are.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A little tid-bit about competitive and just final opinions

Playing turf war to learn the basics is great and all, but turf war has nothing to do with the competitive scene nor is it even used. While someone may have positive results the point of the game is simply the fact that it is a team game not a "Me and the other three" game. Unless those turf war accolades are reflected in ranked in all 4 modes and you are able to keep that satus consistently in all 4 modes while also placing in the higher percentile in league mode and in online/LAN events then what you get in solo-queue turf or solo ranked essentially means nothing to teams who are currently performing at mid to top level.

turf war is where people should start off if they want to have a base platform to train on before they hit ranked, there is so much more than getting 3000 points in a turf war match and some set number of splats/kills that you have to accomplish if you truly want to be in the upper echelon of players who arent so focused on those 2 small statistics. each player has a role on the team, you cant train yourself to fit every role in a single game and focus on irrelevant statistics like turf points and kills unless your job is to be a support who takes control of the area for the team or someone who does nothing but simply get picks/kills. The objective is the single most important statistic in all ranked modes, it doesnt care how much ground you covered unless it's a splatzone and if you got the timer down to 0 or a lower number than your opponents. if youre in a team, league mode and scrimming other teams no matter what percentile they are on is incredibly important. aside from that solo-queue is too messed up to be used as a substitute for league or scrims but it's the only other option so nothing you can do about that.

and thats just in light of Rank X which is supposed to come out in april, so that'll be fun.

That's my bit, sorry for the wall of text
Have a nice day

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
Mr.HawK (from Reggie) said:
“It’s community-oriented. It’s enabling the community to drive it forward. We have relationships, obviously, with entities like Evo and Battlefly. We want to do this much more at a grassroots level than others’ visions around leagues and big up-front payments and things of that nature.”
Or, in much less nice words, "We are not interested in our games becoming major esports because we don't want to pay for the costs associated." To be fair, what does Nintendo have to gain? Games like League of Legends are sold pretty much solely for competitive play, which will offset the cost of creating an esport league. I don't think anybody could make that case for Splatoon or even Super Smash Bros.
To add to this the numbers just arent in our favor, western splatoon competitively is incredibly small in comparison to Japan
Is it though? I keep hearing about how much larger competitive Splatoon is over there, (despite the fact that it's still incredibly small) when I can't name a single team or even a single competitive player, when I can at least name a couple here. Of course, I don't live in Japan. :rolleyes: The game is bigger over there than it is elsewhere though (it'll sell slightly more in the U.S., but we've also got 3x the population), so it wouldn't be that surprising.

Mr.HawK

The Artist
Or, in much less nice words, "We are not interested in our games becoming major esports because we don't want to pay for the costs associated." To be fair, what does Nintendo have to gain? Games like League of Legends are sold pretty much solely for competitive play, which will offset the cost of creating an esport league. I don't think anybody could make that case for Splatoon or even Super Smash Bros.

Is it though? I keep hearing about how much larger competitive Splatoon is over there, (despite the fact that it's still incredibly small) when I can't name a single team or even a single competitive player, when I can at least name a couple here. Of course, I don't live in Japan. :rolleyes: The game is bigger over there than it is elsewhere though (it'll sell slightly more in the U.S., but we've also got 3x the population), so it wouldn't be that surprising.
I follow and on occasion talk to someone who was able to access the overall active player numbers in things like splatfest and league mode (since thats really the only info people were able to get out of splatnet2) but also sales wise Japan always had a significantly larger player pool even in splatoon 1.

Just as a small example of what im talking about, even though I probably shouldn't just toss this info out here are 3 splatfest events across NA/JP/EU being relatively in the same month or so (Dec 9th to 16th for all 3)

NA: Sweaters vs Socks
Participants: 217,707 players Total

JP: Warm Inner vs Warm Outer
Participants: 1,058,011 players Total

EU: Film vs Book
Participants: 131,624 Players Total

Even thought this is a small example of one event over 3 areas world wide, the numbers you see here are all very similar and consistant across all previous splatfests before them. I dont think anyone has data on the two after that including the last splatfest chicken vs egg that we had. But I wouldnt be surprised what the player outcome would be like.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
I follow and on occasion talk to someone who was able to access the overall active player numbers in things like splatfest and league mode (since thats really the only info people were able to get out of splatnet2) but also sales wise Japan always had a significantly larger player pool even in splatoon 1.

Just as a small example of what im talking about, even though I probably shouldn't just toss this info out here are 3 splatfest events across NA/JP/EU being relatively in the same month or so (Dec 9th to 16th for all 3)

Even thought this is a small example of one event over 3 areas world wide, the numbers you see here are all very similar and consistant across all previous splatfests before them. I dont think anyone has data on the two after that including the last splatfest chicken vs egg that we had. But I wouldnt be surprised what the player outcome would be like.
I wouldn't use splatfests as data for the competitive side of things. A lot of competitive players (myself included) don't usually play in Splatfests because it is Turf War, and like you said in your original wall, Turf War is not a competitive game mode.

AC1

Inkster Jr.
Splatoon 2 major esport requirement
Splatoon 2 need at least $7 500 000 in prize pool per year (2018 Australia dollars). Splatoon 2 prize pool must be funded entirely by major Splatoon 2 tournaments. Do not count smaller Splatoon 2 tournaments toward Splatoon 2 prize pool. This prize pool is large enough to support 20 Splatoon 2 teams.

Minimum wage for Splatoon 2 team (for the top 20 Splatoon 2 teams) per year: $125000 (2018 Australia dollars)
Average wage for Splatoon 2 team (for the top 20 Splatoon 2 teams) per year: $375000 (2018 Australia dollars)

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I wouldn't use splatfests as data for the competitive side of things. A lot of competitive players (myself included) don't usually play in Splatfests because it is Turf War, and like you said in your original wall, Turf War is not a competitive game mode.
You completely missed the point. He was responding to Drew's questions about the playerbase, and regardless of anything competitive the data is a good snapshot of the active player count, of which competitive will always be a mere fraction of.

Mr.HawK

The Artist
ah I was probably focusing more on the overall active players. My mistake. In terms of tournament numbers I would have to consult some of the TO's that work with the SqSS event. If I remember correctly I believe the total team number was over 110+ for the February event thats approximately 400-at least 500+ players in a single event. In terms of japan events i'd still have to ask where to find that information as i would imagine it's not common knowledge.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401

I knew EU was a desert and Japan stil had a significant advantage over the U.S., but that's pretty jarring... That's definitely nowhere near representative of the differences in sales, at least between the U.S. and Japan. That pretty much cements my feeling I had since the first game, where the game sells very well only to be abandoned shortly thereafter by half the people who bought it. It happened with the people I know, anyway. :confused:

...Well, at least it's not ARMS.:rolleyes:

Mr.HawK

The Artist
I knew EU was a desert and Japan stil had a significant advantage over the U.S., but that's pretty jarring... That's definitely nowhere near representative of the differences in sales, at least between the U.S. and Japan. That pretty much cements my feeling I had since the first game, where the game sells very well only to be abandoned shortly thereafter by half the people who bought it. It happened with the people I know, anyway. :confused:

...Well, at least it's not ARMS.:rolleyes:
yeah, it seems like west gets drained a bit and things slow down.

(and hey I like ARMS, theyre nice people)

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
ah I was probably focusing more on the overall active players. My mistake. In terms of tournament numbers I would have to consult some of the TO's that work with the SqSS event. If I remember correctly I believe the total team number was over 110+ for the February event thats approximately 400-at least 500+ players in a single event. In terms of japan events i'd still have to ask where to find that information as i would imagine it's not common knowledge.
Sorry 'bout that.

EDIT:
What are you saying about my ARMS? You wanna fight?

NNID
ChrisH1994
Switch Friend Code
SW-4774-3187-2019
I'm kind of new here, but I might just add something since competitive Splatoon is what brought me here. I wanna start off by addressing a common thing I've heard, which is the idea that splatoon can't be big because barely anyone plays it. If something like Super Smash Bros Melee of all crazy things, a game which came out more than fifteen years ago on a console that was the least popular of it's generation, can be considered a serious esport, something like Splatoon definitely can become one. If you want even more proof that the sales numbers game doesn't really matter as much as people think it does, look at the abysmal sales of vanilla Street Fighter V, but then look at the large numbers of people who keep up with the competitive scene going on there. There's something more to a game being a major esport than the game just being popular, otherwise Super Smash Bros Brawl would be the biggest event at EVO and Candy Crush Tournaments would get more viewers than the Superbowl.

The OP of this thread did something hilarious when he made it all about him and how he will become the Splatoon version of Michael Jordan, but in a way he also has a point: there needs to be stars, but unlike what this guy says, it can't just be skill. The spectacle in any successful esport needs to be about the story being told, and while being the best possible player in your game of choice might definitely add to that story, it can't be the only thing there. Spectators, something that's crucial but really forgotten when it comes to esports and really sports discussion in general, need something to give a damn about, otherwise they're just watching a bunch of people just play a game and yeah maybe someone's good but that's not gonna be enough to keep them interested, which will thus lead to less money being made for tournament organizers and sponsors which will then lead straight back to the players and create a financial barrier that means they now have to work on other things to keep themselves afloat, potentially ending any career they might have had going.

Before I get into esports examples, I'm gonna use my favorite example which is from an Olympic sport: swimming. If you're an American like I am, chances are you're gonna have a hard time naming another swimmer than Michael Phelps, and despite this: swimming is now the most watched Olympic event in the United States. Michael Phelps said in an interview a long time ago that he was seeking to make swimming cool again, to make it something that people care about, and by god he did because the ratings went waaaay up as he managed to get on there and be this fantastic swimmer that is defying nature's laws. What's interesting though is that there's been several times where he's lost, there's a lot of non Olympic swimmers out there that are actually getting faster records than him, and really it's clear that he's not the best... but people don't pay attention to that because once again, it's not the skill they're interested in: it's the story being told that inspires them. People aren't tuning in just to watch a guy swim really fast, they're tuning in because watching this guy that they can relate to performing superhuman abilities and conquering his challengers despite his struggles inspires them! Because of this, people started giving a **** about the sport again, and as a result there's now a lot more tournaments out there, prize pools are way up, sponsorships for swimmers are popping up left and right, and in general it's something that people dream about becoming (myself kind of included).

Michael Phelps would have never managed to succeed in transforming the sport of swimming if he didn't have a crap ton of spectators enabling sponsorships to actually mean something, and Street Fighter and Smash Bros went through a pretty similar phase. Competition matches of both games have been online for decades, but it wasn't until the dawn of social media that people really started to give a damn. It wasn't that there wasn't enough skill in those competitive matches,as a huge amount of those were intense; nobody really cared because all people would see was pretty much nerds playing a game, and yeah, they might be able to play it really good, but unfortunately nobody really saw anything outside of that and there was just better things to do than just watch some guys who were good at a game go at it. It wasn't until social media came along that it blew up because then for the first time ever, a lot of these hardcore smash and street fighter players were having their stories being told. Instead of it just being they're nerds who just so happen to be good at a video game, people began to know that these players spending every waking hour of their lives pushing themselves to do the impossible and do things in game that were never supposed to happen, they began to go hear stories about how hard they had worked to get where they are and how much they'd put into their practice in order to defeat their own rivals in their competitive scene. As a result, not only did you have people get involved in the scene, but people began to spectate, which led to sponsorships, which led to higher prize pools, which led to people being able to focus on their game as the career it is, which led to both games being on ESPN2 and ESPNU with eSports now being some of the hottest talk in the sports finance field.

Once again, I want to reiterate that spectators are key here: because they're what really determine what makes a esport or traditional sport legitimate or not. American Football was once considered the dumbest thing ever, but when they had some rule changes and newer players pop up into the scene, people began to actually pay attention and it became legitimate in the eyes of sports fans, eventually becoming the most popular sport in its home country. As far as Splatoon goes, the competitive scene could be just as big as it was teased in the Nintendo Switch announcement video, but only time's really gonna tell. In my eyes it definitely can, and if the right people pop up it definitely will and who knows it might be on its way to becoming one already, but as far as it goes right now at this very moment: it's not there yet and if it does happen, Splatoon as a serious esport is going to take some time.

Now I just spent like an hour and a half typing this, it's now 4 AM... I'm getting some sleep now goodnight ;-;

Last edited:

(X)

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4542-4584-1904
Except they aren't? :confused:

We don't need you to be.
They are. And I didn’t ask for your approval. You can either be supportive of people’s aspirations or keep your opinions to yourself. If you’d like. 1 on 1 me so I can wreck you in the game (:

(X)

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4542-4584-1904
Yknow what, I could take the first few points, as overhyped as it may be, I could understand what you were talking about, and in an ideal world, splatoon 2 could really be a nice popular e sport.

Then, you made it about yourself, and I literally stopped caring.
As I said. Someone needs to break records. I’m more than happy to see someone else do it. But they don’t. And that’s why splatoon is ranked rock bottom in esports

(X)

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4542-4584-1904
3000+ points and 30+ splats in a single Turf round is patently impossible, unless you're the only player on your team and can somehow repeatedly splat the entire opposing team before they can begin playing, thereby leaving you to cover the entire stage....which you wouldn't be able to do if you're busy constantly splatting them the entire time.
I’ve done 3,000 in turf multiple times. The 50+ splat count would be attempted in ranked mode

(X)

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4542-4584-1904
Buddy, stop. Please stop, for the sake of your sanity. It's rare to see someone so idealistic about achieving their goals, and if you keep going, i can absolutely guarantee your dreams will get smashed into dust or you will pursue them to infinity. You're approaching your goals in a completely wrong way.

You are not the star player- we have those already: Dude, Sendou, Nikey, Silver, FLC and countless others have already earned the respect of us. We already have a competitive scene. It's not big, but it's there. You don't earn respect points by arbitrarily attaining goals such as getting 50 kills, inking 3000p of turf or playing a certain amount of hours in turf war. If you want to earn your title of a super-skilled player you actually have to start winning tournaments, to be able to compete with the very best Splatoon 2 has to offer. And even if you cannot be that, you can always just be gentle, friendly, helpful, humble and maybe funny and you'll be respected just as easily.
You've only made threads like these and never reached out or socialized with anyone else out here. That's because you're not here to make friends, you're here to make a name for yourself. You're here to pursue a goal that is going to be meaningless.

We don't have a Michael Jordan, and to be frank, neither do other games like Overwatch with a much larger competitive scene than ours. And neither do they or we need it. Splatoon 2 was never meant to be a major e-sports presence, nor does it have the potential to be what with it's 16 tickrate, a bland meta and little tournament support from Nintendo. It also gets overshadowed by the aforementioned Overwatch, and once SSB5 is released, that game will overshadow this game completely. Splatoon 2 is already on it's way out. And you know what- it's fine the way it is right now.

Please, i implore you, to stop and think just a little bit before you start committing to these far-fetched goals. Getting 50 kills in a single game doesn't earn you any long-lasting respect, it takes a lot of meaningless effort, and generally there are easier ways of accomplishing these goals.

You -do- have a lot of dedication to making this happen, but if you think and plan ahead instead of going full HAM at the first chance you'll get, you'll be able to put that passion to good and proper use. And that doesn't necessarily have to be able to do with Splatoon 2.

I respect your opinion. But your point is basically “be friends and hug and be lovey dovey with the community and your gonna crash” I can dream as big as I want because it’s a video game. And if you were so concerned with my fate you would offer advice how to get better not do what 90% of you non pros do and tell me to tone it down. If I’m gonna fail then you should just sit back and watch. I don’t want any of your respect or admiration. I just wanna be better than you all. The responses to my posts about dreaming big are so mean and negative. And I don’t even insult anyone in them. So f*** the haters. They only motivate me more

(X)

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4542-4584-1904
Don't listen to all the naysayers! Michael Jordon? Heck! You'll be like the Hulk Hogan of Splatoon! The developers should just program a special entrance for your character where he rips his shirt off and confetti flies wherever your character goes.

If you ever feel doubt about yourself, just remember a line Leonardo DiCaprio made in the Titanic! "I'm the king of the world!"

That's right. You're the king of the world, and all these naysayers are opposing you, the king. That's treason! A good king doesn't stand for treason! Execute all these naysayers with your godly Splatoon skills!
Oh I will. I thought this community was full of nice people but instead it’s full of a holes who will swarm you like wasps if you say you wanna be the greatest and take the game to another level. All this negativity only motivate me more

(X)

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4542-4584-1904
This again?
3000 points in turf? you must be practically soloing against the opponents for this, or hogging all the points for yourself, in a TEAM GAME?
BASED ON TEAM EFFORT.
50 Splats? Are you deliberately prolonging a ranked match to get that many splats?
Also Michael Jordan?

Also how long do you think your team will last, if one specific person is getting credit for a team oriented game to begin with?
Splat2 as an eSport will not last very long, with my previous statement in mind.
Ever heard of ranked mode? You don’t need to be along Side your actual team.

(X)

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4542-4584-1904
Yeeeeah, this topic was a pretty bad idea.

I'll admit i was far too cynical about the tournament state of this game, I'll give it that. Nintendo's doing some pushing to the competitive aspect of this game, and honestly i wish the best for them for keeping a competitive scene around. But again, the next SSB will be released this year...

That’s exactly why I’m saying someone needs to do something spectacular and attract attention to the sport because the current pros can’t push splatoon 2 past the bottom of all esports in terms of prize pools and audience numbers. I just wanted to make sure it gets to the level it deserves. It’s on its way out, and negative people like the ones on this thread will ensure it continues to be a tiny hall of players rather than an arena filling event. I liked this community because I thought they were positive. But they aren’t. You can dislike my post all you want, but all I said is here’s my dream, and here’s what we need to do to make it big. F*** this community.

(X)

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4542-4584-1904
He isn't the Raichu we deserve, but the Michael Jordan we need

I'm sorry. I'm so sorry
I just wanna make splatoon a big esport but this community clearly has problems with people who dream big. I didn’t come in here saying “I’m the best all of you are beneath me “ I said here’s what we need to do to make splatoon 2 a major esport, and here’s a dream I have to make that a reality. What a negative disgusting community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom