Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Remind me again why anyone should care about ranks? As long as Clam Blitz is fun, man!

Anyway, never cared for the Hydra in S1, but I'll give it an honest shot. Can't say that the load-out looks great on paper, but then again, the Inkbrush N surprised me, so everything's possible.

EDIT: OMFG, 2.5x multiplyer foods confirmed. Would that require some Salmon Run overhauling or will this be introduced some other way?

Last edited:

Cyan

Inkling Commander
People care about ranks because there'll be a huge mismash at the start of Clam Blitz. Now granted rank skipping will kick veterans out and of course everyone will be new to the mode, so I doubt there will be too many stomps. I'm definitely looking forward to the new mode, as it's going to have more strategy and excitement involved than the typical "hold a zone, push objective into enemy territory" gameplay types in the game. You can be a pacifist, collect the 10 clams and sneakily open the goal, you can be a goalie and defend attacks on the basket, you can assist your teammates' collecting by protecting them and splatting the enemy to steal their clams, even passing the Rugby Ball/American Football can have strategies to get it across the map quicker! Hopefully we'll get the Splatoon 1 treatment where Tower Control and Rainmaker both got a full 30hrs or so of being on so everyone can try it.

In other more exciting news, we have a bit more information on the new weapons:

Glooga Dualies deal more damage after performing dodge rolls and bringing the guns together, the Light Brella is a lot less durable to enemy fire, but can shoot with the shield open (like we were shown) and I'm not sure what the Squeezer's gimmick is because Google Translate just says it's the first shooter with "the first trigger pulled trigger". I have a feeling that next week will be the Glooga Dualies as it's been ages since we got the Dualie Squelchers, and we haven't got the Dapple Nouveau or Custom DS yet. The week after (8th/9th December) will probably be the Squeezer with the Light Brella coming on the 15th/16th since we got 2 Brellas fairly close together. We've already gathered that the trailer's purpose was to show upcoming content, and they teased these 4 weapons for a reason, clearly they want to make up for 5 weeks of non-stop variants.

Arowana Mall has now been confirmed for a mid-February launch. Whilst it is still slightly frustrating having to wait a month between maps, at least this time we have a clear insight into what's coming and when. Mako Mart in 2 days, Walleye for December, Shellendorf for January and Arowana for February (I wish this was December and Walleye was February, never liked Walleye that much). The massive gear update is probably all we'll get for the next few months, because it's adding 140 pieces and Splatoon 1 probably did about 30-40 pieces in 2.0.0, then about 20-30 every other gear update. I just feel sorry for the poor people who'll boot the game up on Friday and have about 2-3 new pieces of gear in their shops because RNG hates them :P

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I get that, but once you get to, say, rank A, it doesn't really matter anymore what rank you're in. It doesn't really matter to me if i'm A- or S+9999 because it's kind of out of your hands anyway. Sometimes it feels like people are basing their enjoyment of these modes purely on whether on not they get lucky with ranks.

I'm not so sure personally if they're gonna give us a bunch of new weapons in a row. I mean, they showed them off, but that doesn't mean they'll come immediately. Would fit the overall pattern, but try to keep your expectations in check to be sure I'd say.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
Wow, and I thought the original brella had a lame design.
Dude, the Kingsman umbrella is bad*ss.

Sometimes it feels like people are basing their enjoyment of these modes purely on whether on not they get lucky with ranks.
It's incredibly easy to stay the same rank on this game; I've reset the bar a few times, but I've never fallen a rank. If you are given terrible teams, the game just inexplicably doesn't punish you half of the time. Even in Splatoon 1, I never fall under S and rarely drop past S 50. Half of the challenge from ranked in that game though is just knowing when to quit playing.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
@Award
People care about ranks because there'll be a huge mismash at the start of Clam Blitz. Now granted rank skipping will kick veterans out and of course everyone will be new to the mode, so I doubt there will be too many stomps. I'm definitely looking forward to the new mode, as it's going to have more strategy and excitement involved than the typical "hold a zone, push objective into enemy territory" gameplay types in the game. You can be a pacifist, collect the 10 clams and sneakily open the goal, you can be a goalie and defend attacks on the basket, you can assist your teammates' collecting by protecting them and splatting the enemy to steal their clams, even passing the Rugby Ball/American Football can have strategies to get it across the map quicker! Hopefully we'll get the Splatoon 1 treatment where Tower Control and Rainmaker both got a full 30hrs or so of being on so everyone can try it.

In other more exciting news, we have a bit more information on the new weapons:

Glooga Dualies deal more damage after performing dodge rolls and bringing the guns together, the Light Brella is a lot less durable to enemy fire, but can shoot with the shield open (like we were shown) and I'm not sure what the Squeezer's gimmick is because Google Translate just says it's the first shooter with "the first trigger pulled trigger". I have a feeling that next week will be the Glooga Dualies as it's been ages since we got the Dualie Squelchers, and we haven't got the Dapple Nouveau or Custom DS yet. The week after (8th/9th December) will probably be the Squeezer with the Light Brella coming on the 15th/16th since we got 2 Brellas fairly close together. We've already gathered that the trailer's purpose was to show upcoming content, and they teased these 4 weapons for a reason, clearly they want to make up for 5 weeks of non-stop variants.

Arowana Mall has now been confirmed for a mid-February launch. Whilst it is still slightly frustrating having to wait a month between maps, at least this time we have a clear insight into what's coming and when. Mako Mart in 2 days, Walleye for December, Shellendorf for January and Arowana for February (I wish this was December and Walleye was February, never liked Walleye that much). The massive gear update is probably all we'll get for the next few months, because it's adding 140 pieces and Splatoon 1 probably did about 30-40 pieces in 2.0.0, then about 20-30 every other gear update. I just feel sorry for the poor people who'll boot the game up on Friday and have about 2-3 new pieces of gear in their shops because RNG hates them :p

I have to admit competitive play in clam blitz should be interesting since this is a mode that focusing on positioning and synergy more than most.
Mainly cause you need someone to gather quickly, someone to defend mid, and someone to protect the basket....should be interesting.

Looks like splatlings, and chargers would prove very good for defending, while brushes and duelies would be great for gathering.

Googla duelies look amazing it is either a dapple duelies or a .52 gal depending on when you roll.

The Light Brella probably got it's unique abilities from the bug/exploit that has allowed brella users to fire while sheilding...but that just a theory

Lastly the squeezer from what I heard is a semi-auto weapon like the L-3 which, from my understanding will continue as long as you keep mashing (I think?), it will certainly be one of my favorite new weapons.

I hope that long range weapons will be patched to be just a little more relevant, and the splattershot (and sadly of need the splashdown) to finally to be nerfed.
It was the top of both games meta for too long, let it be balanced down and enjoyable for once.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
@Leronne, I adore you but that screencap reminds me that I'm one of "those people"--at least your battery isn't too low, but "what is with all the notifications? Handle your business!" :p

@Goolloom, so it really is a 2.0 update! :scared: Glad I brought along my switch with me today. Just in case. :cool:

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
@Leronne, I adore you but that screencap reminds me that I'm one of "those people"--at least your battery isn't too low, but "what is with all the notifications? Handle your business!" :p
I was too lazy to crop it lol. I don't usually have that many notifications (i'm a lonely squid), but the memes were extra spicy today (i'm also a cringey squid).

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
To be fair, we shouldn't actually know about the Squeezer and new Dualies, and the fact that the Brellas and Grizzco weapons got announced long before they were made available (plus the potentially 'Unreleased Gear') suggests to me that we might get them during or after a 2.0-type update and holding them back seem pretty understandable. Or it could just be baseless speculation on my part idk.
Called it... again.
So hey guys, Danku found a thing:

Hydra coming on the 25th of November at 11o'clock Japan time, featuring Autobombs and Splashdown.

Thoughts? I'm legit curious on how this kit'll play out, geez.
About dang time.

inb4 the Hydra is actually really bad in the new meta and people start getting salty and cynical about it even though we've known that ranged weapons have been at a disadvantage for a long time now.

Exactly my point! They'll either come back with a better understanding of positive criticism and negative criticism, or their souls will be devoured and we never see them again
Can't have your soul devoured if you never had one in the first place. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom