• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 think tank

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
So as we approach the final splatfest and the rise of the Nintendo NX most likely there will be a another Splatoon game in the works soon enough, especially with this awesome fanbase:cool: so I thought I'd design this thread to go over what we would like to see in the next splatoon game.
This will range from new weapons, modes, gear abilities, avatar customization, balances/ patches, and anything else you'd like to see (hopefully) implemented in the next game . Also feel free to rant about anything you'd absolutely dislike to see implemented in the next game (no sega route for us).

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
So a guess I'll start this off I'd love to see the Swoosher implemented in this game (basically a giant sponge flail of my own design), octolings as a choose able class type, a ability that allows you take damage instead of being splatted by water.
Lastly I hope that they add more to the story mode , the story in this game is already so creative but I was sad at how quickly it ended and how easy many of the enemies AI were.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Let's see... what do I want to see in the sequel?
  • I'd like to see more variety, of course. More stages, more weapons/weapon classes, more gear, even aesthetic things like accessories, hairstyles, that sort of thing.
  • For the competitive scene, I'd like to see a spectator mode and the ability to save replays to a dedicated website. It'll make it easier to show how matches would go down, and people can see if there was any significant lag. Also, some uber-servers would help alleviate said lag issues. Also also, special pants exclusive to established competitive teams. It sounds crazy, but it'd help give some more recognition to competitive gaming.
  • I agree about the single-player campaign needing more. For my headcanon, it'll involve an underground movement of alternative-rock and indie pop musicians integrating themselves into Inkling society to get away from the rapidly-deteriorating Octo Valley and Octavio's increasingly insufferable attitude. You'd have to fight them in high-stakes Turf Wars to keep the peace in Inkopolis since the city's still not ready for Octarians. Oh, and you can play as Agents 1 and 2, too.
  • Most of all, I want this game promoted like crazy worldwide (almost like Pokemon is currently). I feel that Japan benefitted the most out of the game not just because of the player-base's skill but the constant influx of Splatoon-related material such as the Squid Sisters concerts, the merchandise based on the gear brands within, that sort of thing. We didn't get that much in NA (even EU got the Squid Sisters visiting France's Japan Expo), so I imagine people here are starting to drift off to the old standbys (as well as Overwatch). If Nintendo could keep our attention on Splatoon constantly, we'd have a bigger loyal base.
Of course, I also want the devs to realize the demographics they've attracted beyond their target of kids. I've heard that the NX might be geared towards younger audiences, but I'd imagine people would be deathly salty if they began ignoring the older ones too. Oh, and there shouldn't be too much amiibo content--recycling old amiibo is fine, but too much new stuff might overwhelm us.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
The only real thing I want is Octolings to be legitimately playable. *o* I've always hoped that Octolings would come so I'm really hoping the sequel will introduce them as playable characters. x3

I would like to see NoA and NoE advertise Splatoon more like NoJ does. In Japan, Splatoon is often advertised in many places. There were actually quite a few advertisements for it in the train system when I was there! I do wish that NoA and NoE would give more advertisements a try so this series can really start growing and take off the way it did in Japan. It would be nice to see North America and Europe gain more attention for Splatoon.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
@Joseph Staleknight
I like your idea for the single player campaign, I love to see that done especially since it would definitely increase the enemy AI and make for a huge list of awesome new songs and great commentary between players.
My headcannon was that an unknown villian is beginning to flood inkolpolis and inkling's and octolings are forced to team up in order to fight this new threat. Mainly I say this cause I want to see how nintendo will handle water a more key part of maps

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Firstly I would want them to fix the gear system. For a sequel, they could renew it entirely. There are two problems I see with this that need fixing.

1. You have to choose between style and abilities, as by no miracle the exact outfit you'd like to wear will have the abilities you need.
2. The rolling system leaves near impossible odds to get the gear abilities you want with given resources, pushing people to make use of save scumming and even hacking.

Personal sugestion from my side would be, since this is a sequel, separating gear and abilites entirely. Your clothes would have absolutely no influence on any of your abilities. Instead, they could use something like a bracelet system. There could three bracelets on the Inkling's arm that take the color of its ink. Top, middle, bottom replacing headgears, tops and shoes. Several for each brand with different abilities, just like it's currently done with the clothes. With this, they could take over the old system but leave style entirely up to the user's taste. Even systems like exclusive abilities ( :ability_stealthjump::ability_ninjasquid::ability_inkresistance: ) could be taken over. Instead of making :ability_ninjasquid: shirt exclusive, it's exclusive to the middle bracelet. Instead of making :ability_inkresistance: shoes exclusive, it's exclusive to the bottom bracelet. Same goes for rarity of certain abilties. Like :ability_damage: is rare of headgears today, it could be rare for the top bracelet in the sequel.

With regard to the rolling system... I'd say it's about time to let us roll one slot at a time for a massively increased price. Quick reminder, currently we have the following odds for getting what we want in all three slots:

Natural Gear (Rolling the brand-favored ability in all three slots): 3% chance of succeeding for one roll. 95% of succeeding for 100 rolls.

Neutral Gear (Rolling neither brand-favored nor brand-unfavored abilities in all three slots): 0.02% chance of succeeding for one roll. 2% chance of succeeding for 100 rolls.

Unnatural Gear (Rolling brand-unfavored abilities in all three slots): 0.003% chance of succeeding for one roll. 0.3% chance of succeeding for 100 rolls).

That's... broken in my opinion, to say the least, and I absolutely understand everyone resorting to save scumming or other methods to bypass this system. And I'm sure Nintendo is aware of that too. So why keep this the way it is? Getting gear abilities in the honest way has nothing to do with skill, progress, or effort. It's luck. A damn high amount of luck. And that can be discouraging. I can't count how often I settled for less simply because I was afraid to lose what I had through a reroll.

Other than fixing the core of this game, I of course also want to see expanded gameplay. More modes, more stages and a lot more for the singleplayer mode. Maybe mixing online and singleplayer? I could imagine that to be fun. The ink mechanic has so much potential to deliver. Why limit this game to being a traditional shooter? I want modes that in fact don't have to do with splatting others in small stages with a way too simple objective. Thinking outside the box is what I want to see.

Last edited:

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
With regard to the rolling system... I'd say it's about time to let us roll one slot at a time for a massively increased price. Quick reminder, currently we have the following odds for getting what we want in all three slots:
'Massively increased price' may not be necessary. The expected cost of a natural triple, with the present system, is about 1100k Cash (something like 360 games if you're S+ and win half the time). If single-slot rolls were still 30,000 Cash, then the expected cost of a natural triple would be reduced to 300k Cash (around 100 Ranked games, a more reasonable 10 hours or less). That's still a hefty sum, but more fair, I think, than the present one. In fact, the reroll price could probably be lowered, say to 20k Cash, without becoming too cheap.

Non-natural rolls are still in the low-millions with a single-slot reroll system, but I believe that you're a proponent of having gear (or wristbands, as the case may be) with every possible combination of Mains and likely Subs, other than stuff like Ninja Squid + Swim Speed. A combination of having all possible gear sets and single-slot rolls, therefore, means that you can get anything without having to go out of your way to play a lot.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
'Massively increased price' may not be necessary. The expected cost of a natural triple, with the present system, is about 1100k Cash (something like 360 games if you're S+ and win half the time). If single-slot rolls were still 30,000 Cash, then the expected cost of a natural triple would be reduced to 300k Cash (around 100 Ranked games, a more reasonable 10 hours or less). That's still a hefty sum, but more fair, I think, than the present one. In fact, the reroll price could probably be lowered, say to 20k Cash, without becoming too cheap.

Non-natural rolls are still in the low-millions with a single-slot reroll system, but I believe that you're a proponent of having gear (or wristbands, as the case may be) with every possible combination of Mains and likely Subs, other than stuff like Ninja Squid + Swim Speed. A combination of having all possible gear sets and single-slot rolls, therefore, means that you can get anything without having to go out of your way to play a lot.
I don't know how that would work out. I can see how a price increase may not necessarily be important for the balance of the game depending on what they do with the sea snail system, but a price decrease does seem overkill to me. The game should deliver many hours of gameplay and a goal to achieve aside from getting a higher rank.

I'm also only for either scenario, and in this case definitely no proponent of having every possible combination available. On the contrary. Like I said, I'd have the rarity system implemented, so that some combinations are extremely rare, others inexistent. Either you roll each slot individually, or you get a possible option for every gear. Implementing both would be a terrible idea.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I'm also only for either scenario, and in this case definitely no proponent of having every possible combination available. On the contrary. Like I said, I'd have the rarity system implemented, so that some combinations are extremely rare, others inexistent. Either you roll each slot individually, or you get a possible option for every gear. Implementing both would be a terrible idea.
Either I mistook you for someone else, then, or we've misinterpreted each other slightly. 'Every combination' here just means every Main/brand pairing... although now, on closer reading of your first post, I do see that you're suggesting something contrary to that. Okay.

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
It would be cool to see actual options someone could check off to optimize their matchmaking. Like, if someone wanted to play with people in their own region, then they could check a box to only search for players in their region. Also, a better way to measure skill would be nice. Maybe something along the lines of Halo's TrueSkill system (though I know THAT won't happen with Nintendo cause.... reasons). I would also LOVE to see games with bigger teams. Imagine a 6v6 game for a moment. The standard 4v4 will still be there but there could be a playlist to play with larger teams. XD To accompany that, have "bigger" versions of maps, like have extra areas open or add to pre-existing maps to compensate for the larger team size. Let's not for having MORE THAN 4 GAMEMODES. Seriously, that's kinda pathetic. I don't know about everyone else but I get tired of playing the same 4 modes after a while. A sequel should at least have variations of Splatzones, Tower Control, Rainmaker, and other modes like a legit CTF mode (some people say Rainmaker is kinda like CTF but I strongly disagree). Maybe the sequel could have Daily and Weekly challenges to earn some extra cash and provide another outlet to get some Snails. Maybe then Splatfests would be less "play to win".

Lastly, HOW ABOUT WE AVOID HAVING SUCH A PITIFUL LAUNCH. Seriously, Splatoon's launch was incredibly lackluster. I mean 5 maps? 2 Modes (one of which was locked until enough people reached level 10. Granted it was smashed in 2-3 days but the principle of it kinda dumb)? No way to play with friends in private lobbies or in Ranked in a game focused around multiplayer? Come on Nintendo, that's a little ridiculous.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm doing more complaining than providing ideas...

Other than that, I can't really think of much else that someone else hasn't said.... o3o

chrisblass1

Pro Squid
NNID
Chrisblass1
I honestly just want more modes, weapon classes, subs, and specials.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
I like to see custom modes in games, like have an invisible ink turf war, or a hyper speed rainmaker for casual play

@Zero Meddler I agree splatton was pitiful at launch and although it's got teen better you can do so much more in modes, like a survival mode, team handball form of rainmaker (except the play can only use subs).
Also I'd love to see them play with the ink physics more it was so cool being able to find hidden ink ablepath sponges that reveal other platforms and levels to play on, honestly I'd love to see more of this and whatever else they got in the game

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
It would be nice if we could actually lock the abilities that we want. Like if a shirt gets two Damage Up subs and the last is Ink Recovery. You could lock the first two and reroll for the third. It's not a big improvement but it would be slightly better than what we currently have now. Especially since Spyke's system is going to get worse without the ability to earn snails anymore. x.x

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
It would be nice if we could actually lock the abilities that we want. Like if a shirt gets two Damage Up subs and the last is Ink Recovery. You could lock the first two and reroll for the third. It's not a big improvement but it would be slightly better than what we currently have now. Especially since Spyke's system is going to get worse without the ability to earn snails anymore. x.x
Yes! Verily! I love it! So... as an alternative to single-slot rolling, locking slots allows a much more convenient system without removing three-slot rolls. I'd suggest that it'd cost a Snail/equivalent to lock a slot, but be free to unlock it again. Then only one kind of roll is required for all needs.

Xanjos

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Xanjos
The rerolling really is the most important thing they need to address.

Also being able to change your gear in the lobby or at least having sets off gear you can save and select before every match begins.

Mr.HawK

The Artist
I've seen a lot of threads with really good ideas as to what the next splatoon game should have but I mostly think they just need to revamp most of their games overall functionality.

for example:

1. Get rid of Spyke's randomized gear ordering and gear rolling system.
  • With how much the game relies on gear it almost seems absolutely redundant for them to make something so crucial for gameplay so hard to get a hold of without save scumming and modding. (i'm talking mostly about the rolled abilities since those are the more important things). If they introduced a shop that allows you to spend, lets say 500,000 coins on a complete triple set of any ability for any clothing then that would be fine. The fact that you have to maybe play at least 5-6-7 games (given if you're at a good enough rank) to get over 30,000 coins for a random roll and most of the time you wont even get what you want is a really bad way to enforce grinding. The fact that they made the ability rolling system act like a mock up loot box system just because "it's a shooter" really doesnt help it out in the long run.
2. reward Ranked players for ranking up.
  • There is no reward for ranking up in this game at all besides more coins. plain and simple, just give players a reason to want to rank up the S rank since ight now the way it is Ranking up is utterly useless.
3. create maps specifically designed for specific modes.
  • I know splatoon is supposed to be different and all but it wouldnt hurt to have some type of similarities in this game and other shooters. The maps IMO should be made to fit the mode. creating a symmetrical or asymmetrical map is fine but that doesnt mean that every mode on that map will be balanced at all. (saltspray and bluefin are both guilty of this). However I guess having both styles would be fine if the design of the maps was relatively simple or intuitive.
4. Please for the love of god just give us unique weapons and not Reskins.
  • As much as I love sheldons picks and how much they have changed the games meta and just overall gameplay, it still doesnt excuse the devs from not making more unique weapons for the classes that NEED them. the slosher class for example doesnt at all have a heavy, I feel like they could also expand on the hybrid weapons that they have made as well that are akin to the mixed weapons like the (slosher blaster hybrid) Sloshing machine (and the charger/shooter hybrid, if that's even what it is I could be very wrong on this) Bamboozler. My point is that there are tons of weapons already but a majority of them are just reskinned or have different (and not as useful) subs/specials.
5. Give us more that what we had at launch
  • Point is simple. We pretty much got a third or so of what we all have now at launch date. Which is really not good since it's a multiplayer game and most people arent gonna want to play the same thing over and over again. It's great that we got a lot of DLC but all that DLC makes me think the game was rushed for the summer given how much we actually ended up with at launch date.

either way that's my input, I didnt really talk about single player at all since the game is a "multiplayer game" and single player should not be the focus. However if they made a better single player campaign I would welcome it with open arms.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I lately had another idea for an alternative to Spyke's rerolling system. Gear gets experience in battles until you've unlocked all of its slots, right? So how about it continuing to gain experience after all slots are filled and, every time it passes a certain boundary (say, 10,000p), you have the option of rerolling your slot of choice. Potential issue is that it'll get tiresome if you have to select 'No' after pretty much every single Ranked Battle.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
This might feel a little controversial but I feel that rainmaker might need to either be changed in terms of map setup or replaced.

It's a fun mode but lag and map setup allows for the game to be over with little challenge, plus there is no punishment for retreating allowing player to guard the weapon in one spot for half the map and the opposing team to be helpless to stop it.
Personally I feel the size of the shot should be mitigated, that players who hold the rainmaker should have a barrier to prevent them from retreating to a certain point, and lastly stage setup should be similar to hat of kelp dome or hammerhead bridge since the give players opportunity to defend themselves and make the game more of a challenge to the player as well

Maave

Inkling Commander
Rolling is the only thing I want changed. Everybody has some pretty good ideas for reducing the grind, I don't need to harp on it.
Better shirts would be nice. Most of them don't look very fresh IMO. That is trivial though.

Some people are asking for more weapons/maps/etc but dude, balancing all that is hard. It takes tons of testing. Even after all that work they still release patches because there are intricacies that can't be found in play testing. The maps all have minor tweaks for each mode, the weapons have tiny differences like projectile speed or rainmaker shield damage multiplier. It's really finely tuned. I'm satisfied with the variety as-is, I think it's impractical to get much more without losing balance.

Flame304

Inkling
NNID
Kai560
I lately had another idea for an alternative to Spyke's rerolling system. Gear gets experience in battles until you've unlocked all of its slots, right? So how about it continuing to gain experience after all slots are filled and, every time it passes a certain boundary (say, 10,000p), you have the option of rerolling your slot of choice. Potential issue is that it'll get tiresome if you have to select 'No' after pretty much every single Ranked Battle.
You could just lock your gear if you're satisfied with it so that it won't ask you again and then if you ever change your mind you could unlock it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom