1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Splatoon 2's rank system

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by GearWax, Aug 29, 2017.

1. NBSink

NBSink Pro Squid

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-5607-3736-5200
    I can stick with you here to 100% but at the same time to 0%. If we forget about the difference between S and A+ than it's not really saying anything. Also A- and A felt a lot harder then A+. But if we look at the difference between S and B+ than there is a huge difference in skill.

It takes way more efford for me to break through A- or A instead of A+. The moment I reached A+ I were almost instantly carried up to S and from there to S60 and from there... Well all of a sudden I almost always got very bad teams and I dropped very fast back to A (almost A-).

For Splatoon2 now: My first time were I got a 4th crack was A+ and then S+ and I think in TC in S later. However it really feels like a push the player as fast as possible to S+ but if they want to get past S+3 they really need to be good. Idk but I even struggle getting one point in S+3 but sometimes not even getting on crack in S+2. There must be other parameters instead of your rank and your points. I even read that the skipping rank mechanic does not take your kills, deaths, assists and or how often you used your special into account. So what does it take into account, I can say that its not the crack count either.

I really wish I know the ranking system better.

2. Drew Sebastino

Drew Sebastino Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    Espozo
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3924-6316-9401
    It may be difficult to level up past S+, but only due to luck in matchmaking; You're still thrown in with the same people, meaning no rank should be more difficult than the other.

I feel that the "everyone's a winner" system they put in this game is just to cover up the fact that matchmaking is nonexistent. Accurately judging individual skill based on whether or not your unbalanced team (that you can't communicate with) won or not is impossible.

3. GearWax

GearWax Semi-Pro Squid

NNID:
    KoopaTroopaBloop
    Just so everyone knows, I have low rank, but more because I wasted time getting all hero mode weapons than because I'm bad. I am a decently good player, but not competitive-level.

4. Drew Sebastino

Drew Sebastino Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    Espozo
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3924-6316-9401
    Sounds like you're perfect for Ranked Battle then.

5. GearWax

GearWax Semi-Pro Squid

NNID:
    KoopaTroopaBloop
    Being a Rapid Blaster main? Maybe.

Drew Sebastino likes this.
  6. Saturn

Saturn LFT mid range, former xlt

NNID:
    Saturnity
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-7252-9309-8314
    I feel like there's a bit of fixation on rank over power level. The entire playerbase could be S+ and it wouldn't be that big of a difference. I honestly think it could be an improvement. ELO is a big deal, it's not just for decoration. I get that ranks give a sense of accomplishment, but they aren't as accurate as real matchmaking scores.

Like I've said before, the system does make some sense from a design perspective. You add a C- through S gateway for people to be totally separated from the experienced players, and then S+ becomes an arena to fight for a high ELO to get matched up with the best players. I get that it's a problem that ELO is too hidden, but to be totally fair, it's far more out in the open than it was during Splat 1's launch.

You can see it during splatfests. If you're reaching 2000+ power level, you're generally going to get put into games at that skill level. The only problem is that I would have to get matched with low power level players by 2200-2500 if no good players were on.
    (Even then, that's largely because other western players have a vicious cycle of not playing turf war. There's a flaw with scoring, so it didn't get added to tournaments. It's never in tournaments, so no one practices it. Now we understand it less than ranked modes, and therefore it's avoided even more. As a cherry on top, it gives hardly any money/gear exp. It's to the point where splatfests are treated like monthly salmon runs, and you see some really strange opinions on how TW is played.)

#26 Saturn, Sep 7, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  7. CavvieKat

CavvieKat Inkster Jr.

I understand this is probably a little off-topic, but I would love to see this discussed more. I've always found it odd how Turf War seems to be treated as a "lesser" game mode compared to the ranked modes, and I'm curious about the strange opinions others might have about it now.

Back on the main topic: I'm still not entirely certain of what to think of the new ranked system. I'll admit it felt good the first time I found I skipped ahead a few ranks, jumping up from C- to B without anything in-between, but over time I've begun to see the negative effects of this system. It really does make matchmaking much worse than it was in the first game. At least in Splatoon 1 I knew playing S+ matches meant I was going to be seeing players of high skill, but at the same time A+ seemed to be an absolutely mess, so I can't speak for its consistency.

I do hope this is something Nintendo will consider modifying as time goes on. If they want it to attract serious esports players, which it seems they do, then they need to resolve the issues with this system, yeah?

8. BBGrenorange

BBGrenorange Inkling Cadet

I don't know if it's just me, but I'm finding it harder to rank up in this game than in S1.

9. ProphetEyes

ProphetEyes Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    ProphetEyes
    It's just you

10. SqidVishus

SqidVishus Senior Squid

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-0563-5067-5130
    Same here. I did play briefly. I never thought C was an acceptable grade in my schoolwork, so I went a little obsessive compulsive and played each mode to B- and stopped.

11. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy Inkling Commander

NNID:
    BattadaBeast
    My main problem with this ranking system is that it is way too easy to reach S+. And then when you reach S+, and try going for S+50 the devs thought it would be funny to stack all the difficulty of ranked here.

I can't be the only one here who thinks grinding all the way up to S+50, and barely reaching the bonus meter (at the very end btw), and then declining into S+0 if I so dare to crack it the 4th time. Sure, I get it, ranked should be hard. It was hard getting S+99 in the first game. But this garbage that makes you play hours and hours of games to attempt to be back where you were is stupid.

But the ultimate irony here is that even though this system is brutal to S+ players who want to climb up farther, it doesn't hesitate to put people who are clearly below S+ rank in S+. How does this happen? It's too easy to keep ranks in this game. By the time you get 3 cracks in S rank, you probably have gotten past the okay mark. And even if you crack the rank bar, it doesn't matter anyway because you're still in S rank, with a little boost compared to the time you just got it. So for most people, getting to S+ rank isn't a matter of skill, just a matter of time. Therefore, I don't think the gain to get to another rank is the problem, I think people losing ranks is just not happening enough. Compare it to splat 1, say you lost a rank, you'd have to be in the rank below and win 4 or so matches before coming back. So, you had to prove that you mastered the rank before it. This game just lets you stay in the same rank forever, as long as you don't lose 70% of the time.

As for rank skipping, I think it was implemented so that "good" players from the last game didn't have to inhabit the low ranks for the first 2 weeks the game was brought out, but the feature just isn't consistent enough. This is especially true in the S+ ranks, as the skipping is based on your power level (which is invisible to the player), not the visible bar and the condition it's in. As the rank up can rank you up one rank, or it can bring you up ten. I've had one crack going up in S+ rank, and didn't skip, yet multiple people with two cracks skip S+ ranks. What? Why? Is this a joke Nintendo? It's just icing on the cake for S+ solo queue players who actually care. With teammates that might as well be A-, with the everlasting threat of going back down to S+ 0.

Why should competitive players even care about this anymore once they hit S+? It's not like we get a reward for hitting S+50, just some bragging rights. Why not just playing league with some friends and then boasting about how you and your friends got to be top 10 in a given rotation, it provides a lot more insight as to how you add value to a team, and not this inconsistent garbage. As mentioned before, the only players who benefit from this are the players who in splat 1 believed they deserved to be S+, and never showed the skill or game knowledge. I hope you privileged brats who wanted this are happy with your S+0, because it's a lot easier to get in this game.

Sorry for some of the salt in this post, but it just shows how discontent me and other competitive players are with solo queue right now.

12. Jtmissile

Jtmissile Inkling

NNID:
    jtmissile
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-7709-3462-0018
    What I hate about it is how unpredictable the system can be. On one of my previous matches, we lost a teammate, yet I still received a crack in the meter. Another time, I won 3 matches in a row, lost the next one and got another crack. Splatoon 2 in general can be unpredictable with this and the hitboxes

13. AC1

AC1 Inkster Jr.

Number of matches loses required to reach 4 cracks in rank C- to rank C+: ~8

Number of matches loses required to reach 4 cracks in rank B- to rank S+: ~6

4 cracks in a rank bar: the player will rank down or the player will maintain rank

One rank match win: the player will have their rank bar fill by 0.1 (0.15 if certain conditions are meet)

Note: if the player manage to fill their rank bar, that player will rank up

Note: after 'rank up'/ 'maintain rank'/ 'rank down' status had occur, the player will have their cracks count set to 0 (with zero shake at zero crack)​

Maintain rank
    • Rank bar fill amount okay line: c (0.4 or 0.5 or 1)
    • Rank Bar current fill amount before the player had reach the 'maintain rank' status: a
    • Rank Bar current fill amount after the player had reach the 'maintain rank' status: b
    • a is greater than or equal to c.

b: [ ( a - c ) / ( 1 - c ) ] * c​

Rank down
    • Rank bar fill amount okay line: c (0.4 or 0.5 or 1)
    • Rank Bar current fill amount before the player had reach the 'rank down' status: a
    • Rank Bar current fill amount after the player had reach the 'rank down' status: b
    • a is less than c.

• Player will rank down by 0 rank if their rank was rank C-
    • Player will rank down by 1 rank if their rank was between rank C to S+1 including rank C and rank S+1
    • Player will rank down by 1 rank to 2 ranks if their rank was rank S+2
    • Player will rank down by 1 rank to 3 ranks if their rank was rank S+3
    • Player will rank down by 1 rank to 4 ranks if their rank was rank S+4
    • Player will rank down by 1 rank to 5 ranks if their rank was between rank S+5 and S+50 including rank S+5 and rank S+50

b: ( a / 2 )​

Rank up
    • Player will rank up by 1 rank at a minimum. Player cannot skip the following ranks: rank B+ (if the player rank was rank C- to rank C+ prior to the rank up), rank A+ (if the player rank was rank B- to rank A prior to the rank up), rank S (if the player rank was rank A+ prior to the rank up)
    • Rank Bar current fill amount after the player had reach the 'rank up' status: 0

#33 AC1, Mar 26, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018