• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon: An Amazing Game with TERRIBLE CONTROLS

PremiumFootwear

Full Squid
NNID
PremiumFootwear
i use the Areospray RG mostly but sometimes i switch it out for the Krak-On roller

i on average come out at about 8 kills a match if i am playing ranked
That's interesting. I was arguing strongly against the stick controls earlier so I decided to give them another shot just to be fair (I hadn't used them since the testfire before today). I found that with weapons like the roller, splattershot jr, and aerospray I could still do decently well, but I was very limited when it came to using any weapons with range. The stick controls in this game seem to have issues in their design, especially when compared to most shooters these days.

Earlier I said that there was no acceleration (I think that's the right term here) on the aiming so that no matter how hard you turned the stick you turned at the same speed. That was actually a false statement. Despite that, the stick controls all too often lead me to make sweeping motions with my aim, which makes it impossible to hit far off targets, and also leaves me at a surprisingly significant disadvantage up close with the aerospray as well. Now I only just started using stick controls again, so I'm probably making some rookie mistakes with them, but this isn't my first shooter with stick controls, so I can definitely tell something is wrong with them.

I think the problem is that even when you turn the stick slightly you're still turning pretty quickly, and in the end this causes you to aim past your target and miss. My main weapons are the jet squelcher and kelp splatterscope, and my performance drops severely with stick controls using these two weapons. I'm going to keep trying stick controls on every sensitivity though, I want to try to figure out exactly what it is about them that's throwing me off. I recommend you give the motion controls a shot for a few matches too, because they seem to be the more refined controls in this game.

_Vicious_

Full Squid
NNID
Vicious09
That's interesting. I was arguing strongly against the stick controls earlier so I decided to give them another shot just to be fair (I hadn't used them since the testfire before today). I found that with weapons like the roller, splattershot jr, and aerospray I could still do decently well, but I was very limited when it came to using any weapons with range. The stick controls in this game seem to have issues in their design, especially when compared to most shooters these days.

Earlier I said that there was no acceleration (I think that's the right term here) on the aiming so that no matter how hard you turned the stick you turned at the same speed. That was actually a false statement. Despite that, the stick controls all too often lead me to make sweeping motions with my aim, which makes it impossible to hit far off targets, and also leaves me at a surprisingly significant disadvantage up close with the aerospray as well. Now I only just started using stick controls again, so I'm probably making some rookie mistakes with them, but this isn't my first shooter with stick controls, so I can definitely tell something is wrong with them.

I think the problem is that even when you turn the stick slightly you're still turning pretty quickly, and in the end this causes you to aim past your target and miss. My main weapons are the jet squelcher and kelp splatterscope, and my performance drops severely with stick controls using these two weapons. I'm going to keep trying stick controls on every sensitivity though, I want to try to figure out exactly what it is about them that's throwing me off. I recommend you give the motion controls a shot for a few matches too, because they seem to be the more refined controls in this game.
well i used to be a knifer in a competitive call of duty team so sticks just feel right to me and i find it hard to brake that habbit but i see were u are coming from with the statment of a slight tap of the stick can throw you past your target i have that problem a bit but i have gotten accustom to this because of what i used to do in CoD (serious lag problems) i know that CoD is a different game to this but i seem to be able to apply the same control method and i seem to do good with it

i will give the gyro a few games like you said and i will get back to you on it

its good to see how other people play we can learn from it and be a strong community who helps each other :)

PremiumFootwear

Full Squid
NNID
PremiumFootwear
well i used to be a knifer in a competitive call of duty team so sticks just feel right to me and i find it hard to brake that habbit but i see were u are coming from with the statment of a slight tap of the stick can throw you past your target i have that problem a bit but i have gotten accustom to this because of what i used to do in CoD (serious lag problems) i know that CoD is a different game to this but i seem to be able to apply the same control method and i seem to do good with it

i will give the gyro a few games like you said and i will get back to you on it

its good to see how other people play we can learn from it and be a strong community who helps each other :)
CoD is definitely a good comparison in terms of controls. I think I've figured out what's wrong with Splatoon's stick controls as well. After trying the lowest and highest sensitivity, I finally realized that games like CoD in a sense make use of both of these turning speeds. At the lowest sensitivity I could aim pretty well, aiming down the scope of sniper was still poor, but other than that things were alright. I however couldn't turn around to face an enemy behind me, or even to the side of me, it's just too slow. At the highest sensitivity the issues are the opposite, aiming is nearly impossible, but turning works well.

So I've double lied about the acceleration now. I believe in games like CoD, when you first move the analog stick, you turn a little more slowly, but as you hold it down you speed up. This allows you to make constant slight adjustments to your aim but also the large sweeping motions you need to say, turn completely around to confront an enemy. BluEyes touched upon that in his post I believe. Someone else also mentioned that the sensitivity for the two axes was the same and they could not be separately adjusted as well, this is the final problem I ended up having. Aiming up and down was always too sharp, especially since there's only a small range of angles you need to aim at in Splatoon on the y axis compared to the x axis.

So in the end, the motion controls are better in this game on a technical level than the stick controls. They do a better job of providing accurate aiming alongside the ability to turn quickly. The second stick lets you turn fast, while the gamepad itself lets you do the refined aiming you would normally do with the precision controls in CoD before acceleration. After using the stick controls for a good 8 or so matches though, I can say that it's entirely possible to do well with them, and that if you honestly do prefer them then you can still win matches. But in the end, using them is a sort of handicap on yourself, so if you really want to get that competitive edge or use a larger range of weapons you'll probably have to switch to gyro controls. I think Nintendo has the ability to fix this however, and I really hope they do, because I'm all for a larger range of control options. I don't want to force the gyro controls on people that don't like them or would rather not use them.

But yeah, I do like having a community to get together and talk with on this. Now I can say that I understand why I don't like the stick controls, rather than just being like "Yeah don't use stick controls they're bad." I hope this long post made sense to you guys.

_Vicious_

Full Squid
NNID
Vicious09
CoD is definitely a good comparison in terms of controls. I think I've figured out what's wrong with Splatoon's stick controls as well. After trying the lowest and highest sensitivity, I finally realized that games like CoD in a sense make use of both of these turning speeds. At the lowest sensitivity I could aim pretty well, aiming down the scope of sniper was still poor, but other than that things were alright. I however couldn't turn around to face an enemy behind me, or even to the side of me, it's just too slow. At the highest sensitivity the issues are the opposite, aiming is nearly impossible, but turning works well.

So I've double lied about the acceleration now. I believe in games like CoD, when you first move the analog stick, you turn a little more slowly, but as you hold it down you speed up. This allows you to make constant slight adjustments to your aim but also the large sweeping motions you need to say, turn completely around to confront an enemy. BluEyes touched upon that in his post I believe. Someone else also mentioned that the sensitivity for the two axes was the same and they could not be separately adjusted as well, this is the final problem I ended up having. Aiming up and down was always too sharp, especially since there's only a small range of angles you need to aim at in Splatoon on the y axis compared to the x axis.

So in the end, the motion controls are better in this game on a technical level than the stick controls. They do a better job of providing accurate aiming alongside the ability to turn quickly. The second stick lets you turn fast, while the gamepad itself lets you do the refined aiming you would normally do with the precision controls in CoD before acceleration. After using the stick controls for a good 8 or so matches though, I can say that it's entirely possible to do well with them, and that if you honestly do prefer them then you can still win matches. But in the end, using them is a sort of handicap on yourself, so if you really want to get that competitive edge or use a larger range of weapons you'll probably have to switch to gyro controls. I think Nintendo has the ability to fix this however, and I really hope they do, because I'm all for a larger range of control options. I don't want to force the gyro controls on people that don't like them or would rather not use them.

But yeah, I do like having a community to get together and talk with on this. Now I can say that I understand why I don't like the stick controls, rather than just being like "Yeah don't use stick controls they're bad." I hope this long post made sense to you guys.

i i have now played about 7-8 games with gyro and ..... i cant i do 10x better with stick but like i said i have respect for people like yourself for using gyro

PremiumFootwear

Full Squid
NNID
PremiumFootwear
i i have now played about 7-8 games with gyro and ..... i cant i do 10x better with stick but like i said i have respect for people like yourself for using gyro
That's perfectly fine. Play the game however you like, it is just a game after all. No point in playing if you aren't playing the way you want to. :)

CrazyDude

Pro Squid
As long as you find your own way to enjoy the game it's all good...I personally prefer gyro over stick.

Smashwidget

Full Squid
NNID
Smashwidget
See, the problem with the motion controls is that the sensitivity is turned way, way down at the default. Turn the sensitivity up to at least +1, it makes everything much easier.

PremiumFootwear

Full Squid
NNID
PremiumFootwear
See, the problem with the motion controls is that the sensitivity is turned way, way down at the default. Turn the sensitivity up to at least +1, it makes everything much easier.
Yeah, I play at exactly +1 because I found I was turning way too slow at 0.

MrGameBoy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DaveFeimous
While I wouldn't say they're terrible (quite the contrary, they're actually pretty great), there is definite room for improvement. While I understand that you would mainly use the right stick to turn the camera (sideways), the Y-axis movement still shouldn't been disabled. Not to mention, pressing the right stick for activating super weapons isn't ideal, as it takes much more force than on a button. Personally, I would prefer to play the game with a Wii Remote Plus + Nunchuk, with the IR pointer for aiming; turning done by exiting a customized (smaller) deadzone (like in most Wii shooters) and/or pressing the side buttons of the +Control Pad; super weapons being activated by pressing up on the +Control Pad; and having the GamePad as a nearby map. Also, while holding the + Button, the cursor should be translated onto the GamePad screen to select a super-jump target, with the squid button (Z) being used to confirm the selection.

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
People are just stuck in the past and are immediately turned off by the mere mention of motion controls, without actually giving it a chance. But it really is all the precision of a mouse on a console now, time to move the hell on from the relic of the past that is analog aiming.
If it works for them, why should they abandon it?

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Because it has major limitations, and they'd do so much better with a true positional input method.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom