• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon at Get On My Level

Xiivi

Inkling
This will really be a good gauge for how the game will be played at a competitive level.

Biscuit

Inkster Jr.
This will really be a good gauge for how the game will be played at a competitive level.
As far as competitive gameplay goes, I dunno if this tournament will mean much. It will happen a day or two after it comes out, so the players won't have a very good grasp on the game. Plus, the TOs won't have a good grasp on how to run the tournament or decide rules because it hasn't been done before.

What it will say, though, is how well this game will work logistically. I think that will be the most important thing here. We'll see how we can get enough setups, how we can arrange the setups, etc. Then there's the issue of LAN, which hopefully the game will support. If there's no LAN, I doubt the game will even be able to be played in a setting like this one. All the tournaments would have to be played online. I guess they could all share the same connection, but they'd have to have a lot of bandwidth to get so many people playing at the same time that way.

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
Well I know all about that, the question I'm asking is a lot simpler than that. I was more curious on how we will decide which set up gets streamed or if we will be doing multiple of them for a single event.
Oh, well then I clearly overthought that :P The most optimal thing would obviously be that there is some kind of spectator mode for the casters and that setup would be the one that'll be streamed.

Actilide

Inkling Cadet
Yooo let's do a tourney, everyone bring a tv a wii u and a copy of the game

HaDeeZ

Senior Squid
Oh, well then I clearly overthought that :p The most optimal thing would obviously be that there is some kind of spectator mode for the casters and that setup would be the one that'll be streamed.
If it doesn't include one (which is kinda likely to be honest, this is Nintendo we're talking about) then the streaming becomes a lot more complicated as you need to use hardware that captures all 8 players POV and constantly switch between which one is displayed on stream. I don't know the specifics of how it works but it is how Halo (which doesn't have a spectator mode) has been streamed for the last 10+ years.

HaDeeZ

Senior Squid
As far as competitive gameplay goes, I dunno if this tournament will mean much. It will happen a day or two after it comes out, so the players won't have a very good grasp on the game. Plus, the TOs won't have a good grasp on how to run the tournament or decide rules because it hasn't been done before.

What it will say, though, is how well this game will work logistically. I think that will be the most important thing here. We'll see how we can get enough setups, how we can arrange the setups, etc. Then there's the issue of LAN, which hopefully the game will support. If there's no LAN, I doubt the game will even be able to be played in a setting like this one. All the tournaments would have to be played online. I guess they could all share the same connection, but they'd have to have a lot of bandwidth to get so many people playing at the same time that way.
This is important for everybody to remember really as neither LAN support or Private lobbies has been confirmed to be featured in the game. While its possible to run a tournament with no LAN options it is a major headache that the GOML TOs are unlikely going to want to deal with for what is essentially just a side event. Also if there is no LAN support and no private lobbies then holding a tournament would be essentially impossible.

Teeples

Full Squid
NNID
Flow_Teeples
Interesting, I live near Toronto so I may check this out. Usually not too many chances in Canada to do things like this

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
If it doesn't include one (which is kinda likely to be honest, this is Nintendo we're talking about) then the streaming becomes a lot more complicated as you need to use hardware that captures all 8 players POV and constantly switch between which one is displayed on stream. I don't know the specifics of how it works but it is how Halo (which doesn't have a spectator mode) has been streamed for the last 10+ years.
that's simple, just ask roosterteeth how they do it. (im kidding if that wasn't clear)

Clayton-D

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Clayton-D
How will they make sure all players end up in the same game, or on the same team? GOML will be so soon after release that the team update won't be out yet.

Does anyone know how they plan to do it?

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Private lobbies aren't coming until August, so there's no way to do this yet sadly. The only thing you could try to do is the local 1v1 mode, and IMHO that mode doesn't look very exciting.

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
Well I know all about that, the question I'm asking is a lot simpler than that. I was more curious on how we will decide which set up gets streamed or if we will be doing multiple of them for a single event.
When a Shooter is streamed, usually different perspectives are switched around every few seconds, meaning the broadcasters can commentate while the viewers get a chance to see how the match is going for the teams/players.

Mayday

Row, Row, Fight the Power!
NNID
MaydayBelieves
There's no way this could happen. GOML is a day after Splatoon launches

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom