• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon Dev, all creative sense no common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skirmisher

Inkling
I'm not aware of any way to directly contact Splatoon development so I'm creating this thread to voice my objections to the choices made by the designers and developers of the Splatoon series. Having played Splatoon 1 and 2 I used to think Nintendo developers were horrible. Then I played Breath Of The Wild and changed my opinion. I surmise Nintendo put their best people on BOTW and their worst on Splatoon.

Skirmisher

Inkling
In Regular Battle Turf War, one of the most aggravating things is the way Splatoon picks the teams. Consider me an ink player, I try to avoid confrontation and lay as much ink as possible. And I use weapons meant for inking as opposed to killing. Before counting the 1000 point bonus for the winning team, I'm likely the top scorer. Given I average a higher score than a lot of random players, the game typically puts me on a team with a sniper or mini gunner. (Random players typically don't score high with those weapons.) So I'm basically punished for playing Turf War as intended by being put on a team with players that likely average a lower score than the opponents on the other team. The solution, don't pick the teams based on player stats.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
1) Why post on a Splatoon forum if you think the game is so bad you came to the conclusion that Nintendo are 'horrible' based on it.
2) There's threads for complaining on this forum already. Why not just post there.
3) Please don't double post. There's an edit button.
4) Wouldn't it be GOOD if a player who scores lots of points gets grouped with weapons which are generally kill-focused? That means the team is more balanced
5) That's not how the game works anyway, and I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. If you would play a bit more, you'd notice you get grouped in varying teams
6) Why even buy Splatoon 2 if the first one was horrible?
7) Did you even play any other games to come to the conclusion that Nintendo is horrible? You know they have a few dozen classics under their name, right?
8) I don't know what you mean with a mini gunner, but if you mean a) short-range shooters, you're wrong because they get the highest pnts, b) Splatlings, you're also wrong and they're even some of the rarer weapons
9) Points isn't the only thing that matters. If a sniper gets 500pts but got the most kills, it's still valuable. Likely, they get annoyed that you don't get enough splats.
10) You think Splatoon is horrible based on...this one example only?
11) That's not how Nintendo decides who to put on what game. They don't put their best people on Zelda to put their b-people on Splatoon.
12) You're not being punished for playing as intended. You're focusing on one thing, and that's painting. Some weapons are better for painting and some for killing, but you should always find a right balance because ultimately you're not just trying to rack up points, you're trying to control a shifting battlefield.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I'm fairly sure the queue system for the game doesn't care for the weapon any given player is using. Even if it did, the game allows you to change weapons between matches anyways so there really isn't a consistent base standard.

The game matches players together, most likely with an algorithm that takes into account their Splat Power, or their general performance from previous matches.

Even in Turf Wars, a good Charger or Splatling can be an invaluable asset if said person is good at their role of suppressing the opponent. I've had more than one match where a dominant player of said weapons could mean the difference between a push into enemy turf or a stalemate at the center of the map or even the opponent rushing into your map.
I've won a match where the 3 other players on my team were Chargers and I just used the Dualies. Those 3 Chargers were just that good as suppressing the enemies from advancing.

They even changed the EXP system in Splatoon 2 (and the latter levels in Splatoon 1) to consider that different weapons are just not meant for turfing specifically. Hence why the game only tracks if you've turfed X amount of ink to give you a base EXP value then additional points based only of if you won or lost.

Marfie

Semi-Pro Squid
First off, this is a forum run by fans of the game; Nintendo isn't reading anything posted on here and even if they are there's no way they'd ever openly acknowledge that (outside of supporting a tournament or whatever) and/or it's probably someone who isn't in any position to say anything about development of the game. Coming into a forum where people have dumped hundreds of hours into this game and insulting the people who made it isn't appropriate.

Second, Nintendo's developers all work on a mixture of games (outside of certain devs being specific to certain games). Many of the devs who worked on Splatoon also worked on Animal Crossing, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them also did some work in BotW.

You seem to have a really skewed idea as to how Turf War works.
Yes, in Turf War you have to ink a lot of ground but your opponents are doing the same thing as well. It's critical to not only focus on inking the ground but also splat your opponents (there's a reason why weapons that can only paint well are some of the least viable in this game). It doesn't matter how many points you have at the end of the game if you're not splatting anyone. You're turning your matches into a 3v4; you're not pulling your weight.

Chargers don't paint as well as some other weapons; but instead they support their team by making it harder for your opponents to ink turf by playing keep away and in some cases blocking off entire areas and entry points.
Yes it sucks to get someone who can't snipe on your team but Turf War is where people try out weapons and they have to learn how to get better at sniping some how.

I'm also not sure what you mean by pairing based on player stats; turf war's matchmaking is completely random.

Last edited:

zzmorg82

Pro Squid
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch Friend Code
SW-2476-2506-3411
Snipers aren't supposed to be able to paint well; they support their team by making it harder for your opponents to ink turf by playing keep away and in some cases blocking off entire areas and entry points.
Sorry to derive from your main post, but my bias urged me to do so. :P

As a charger user; they actually do a decent job at paiting areas at a good pace. It’s nothing compared to a slosher, or a roller, but if you know what you’re doing, you can get a area painted fairly well in sub 10 seconds.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Sorry to derive from your main post, but my bias urged me to do so. :p

As a charger user; they actually do a decent job at paiting areas at a good pace. It’s nothing compared to a slosher, or a roller, but if you know what you’re doing, you can get a area painted fairly well in sub 10 seconds.
As a "snoipah" who tends to score 1st or 2nd most points on my team almost consistently in my regular Turf battles, I'm glad someone pointed that out and beat me to it. :D

Marfie

Semi-Pro Squid
Yes I meant in comparison to other painting weapons like a slosher, sorry if that wasn't clear!

As a "snoipah"

I'm trying okay

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
How you play the game is entirely up to you, if it doesn't work, change your strategy.
Also if you don't like confronting, you can use Quick Respawn on your stuff, and just try to mind your own business.
Not splatting an...

He's not coming back is he?...
oh well

Skirmisher

Inkling
Sniper weapons are flawed. It shoots a stream of ink yet be located behind an obstacle like a wall and stand left, right, or below the stream and it will kill you as if you were in the stream.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Trying to decipher the short paragraph, please wait...
Yes, the chargers are flawed. Most of them have a terrible place in the current meta and are a high-risk low-reward weapon for the most of 'em, and these trick shots you're most likely referring to are the only way to make them work nowadays. Have you been around for the broken DMG up scoped E-Liters? Now that was flawed, lol. Damage Up broke so many things in the old game, geez. Thinking back is giving me post-traumatic splats disorder all over again. They're fine-ish in S2. Really. Some of them could use a buff though. *coughs*E-Liter range plz*coughs*

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Sniper weapons are flawed. It shoots a stream of ink yet be located behind an obstacle like a wall and stand left, right, or below the stream and it will kill you as if you were in the stream.
Incorrect. Believe it or not, Chargers do actually fire a single glob of ink, that is the thing that might splat you. It just leaves behind a stream of ink in its wake.

If you're being splatted from behind full cover (if its only partial cover, you still aren't safe), then there is a possibility that minor lag is to blame, like if they splatted you right before you ducked behind cover but it took a few frames for it to register on your end, giving the illusion that you were able to duck behind cover when you got splatted just before that.

Last edited:

Maave

Inkling Commander
Incorrect. Believe it or not, Chargers do actually fire a single glob or ink, that is the thing that might splat you. It just leaves behind a stream of ink in its wake.

If you're being splatted from behind full cover (if its only partial cover, you still aren't safe), then there is a possibility that minor lag is to blame, like if they splatted you right before you ducked behind cover but it took a few frames for it to register on your end, giving the illusion that you were able to duck behind cover when you got splatted just before that.
And everyone who played Splat1 should remember Inkzooka lag. Same deal.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Blaster weapons are flawed. It shoots a stream of ink yet be located behind an obstacle like a wall and stand left, right, or below the stream and it will kill you as if you were in the stream.

Skirmisher

Inkling
Incorrect. Believe it or not, Chargers do actually fire a single glob of ink, that is the thing that might splat you. It just leaves behind a stream of ink in its wake.
I'm not incorrect, but you are. The stream remains the same width (although jagged) for the entire distance the sniper weapons fire and you can prove it to yourself by testing the weapon and looking at the ink left on the ground in the test arena. So if I'm fully concealed behind a wall, none of the sniper ink should touch me on the left or right because the wall would block that part of the ink stream.

Blaster weapons are flawed. It shoots a stream of ink yet be located behind an obstacle like a wall and stand left, right, or below the stream and it will kill you as if you were in the stream.
Blasters may be flawed, but not for the same reason. Blasters fire an exploding projectile that leaves a trail of ink and then explodes at the end of its travel and probably before that if it hits something. So it makes sense someone can hit you behind cover IF they time it correctly where the projectile explodes as it has passed the cover you're behind. Where blasters may be flawed is the "when" it explodes. If you can, play a friend heads up and try with every blaster the following. Fire the blaster and visually note the distance the projectile travels. Then have your friend fully hide behind cover and fire the blaster parallel to the cover and your friend, but at a distance 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 the distance the projectile travels. If your friend is hit by ink then the blaster is flawed, because the projectile should have traveled further before exploding.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I'm not incorrect, but you are. The stream remains the same width (although jagged) for the entire distance the sniper weapons fire and you can prove it to yourself by testing the weapon and looking at the ink left on the ground in the test arena. So if I'm fully concealed behind a wall, none of the sniper ink should touch me on the left or right because the wall would block that part of the ink stream.
Refer to the second part of my comment. Minor lag.

Nothing but a direct hit from a Charger should 1HKO you, it just shouldn't. If you're being splatted while seemingly next to the stream, it means when the opponent fired on their screen, you must've been in their firing line. But very slight latency gives you the illusion that you were not in the way.

Otherwise, partial cover is not full cover. If even the tiniest portion of you can be registered as your main hitbox, you're are a hitbox, and they can snipe you. Even if its just the slightest angle and they can barely peak you.

Test a charger for yourself, even in testing, you have to be fairly precise to actually splat with it.

Last edited:

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
It sounds like the OP has never played an online game before.

Strange things happen when 8 consoles are all simultanously comminucating with each other over the internet and you're playing a fast paced game like Splatoon. Especially if you're playing over Wifi.

Skirmisher

Inkling
Another issue is the initial loading screen. Making us sit through Pearl and Marina is absolute torture. There's no way to skip it and to make matters worse you are required to press the A button through it so you cannot pass the time while it's playing. Furthermore, there's times when you've already been in the game playing and there's a map change. And it loads Pearl and Marina, forcing you to sit through it. I have a theory that happens when Salmon run opens / closes for the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom