• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon Direct Impressions

Shuriblur

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Shuriblur
What did you think of the Splatoon direct? Did it live up to the hype? Or were there more questions than answers?

I personally thought that the direct was a decent length. Most info we sorta knew, but a decent amount of it was adding on to it, like the weapon demonstrations and map tours.

A little disappointed that so much of the stuff for online play is coming out a couple months after the game.

Splatfest seems pretty fun! Not to mention the demo period is pretty awesome.

The preorder bonus for SM4SH is hilarious. I can't get over the eyes...

Last edited:

Katsumimi

Inkling
I thought it was good. The Squid Amiibo missions look pretty tough.

Our concerns about custom lobbies is answered so thats really good.
Im even more excited. Cats all the way!

I pre-ordered Splatoon from Nintendo World and I really want the Mii outfits.
Not sure if I should be worried, but im sure they would have it. Right? ;;

BoTalksGames

Pro Squid
Content Team
NNID
BjFauble
The announcement of custom lobbies is great but I'm a bit sad we won't be getting them until August. Oh well, not that far away. Looking forward to the Global Testfire though a tiny bit disappointed we only get to play for an hour at designated times.

Also free DLC! That's nice.

thefro

Full Squid
Some of the free DLC is stuff they should have had at launch (more than 5 maps, etc), but it'll work out with how the content comes out. By August this game will be packed with content.

Psyched about the new weapons they showed and the new modes coming. Tower Control is a great take on "Payload" from TF2.

Ookami Hajime

Inkster Jr.
It lived up to all the hype and more. I'm so excited to test-drive this game; it's a masterpiece. This game has literally built its own culture. The characters, their species, their love of fashion, the themes; everything about this game is absolutely beautiful.

I already know Splatoon will be immensely successful. Thank you Nintendo; the reasons we love you are limitless

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
Slots is really interesting. It's like MH but you can actually add slots and reroll.

zmop

Inkling Cadet
NNID
zorgmop
yeah i love tower control. that will be a mode i am in frequently. there are a lot of things i rolled my

eyes at with the direct. but all the good stuff was at the end. i am happy they will be giving us a demo...hopefully they will be able to fine tune the netcode because it's going to be nuts tomorrow with everyone playing.

gear and bonus confirmations. the guy who can add more slots major plus to me.

the paint brush not in at launch, come on nintendo!

all maps gradually coming in till the end of summer when kids have to go back to school...blah.

community events major plus

confirmation we can play with friends and then some later that's cool

the sniper with the scope i actually dug that one. i don't want the rest haha :p

the direct gave me hope that this will be a game i can play through november and beyond.

can't wait for tomorrow!

zmop

Inkling Cadet
NNID
zorgmop
Meaning November in the year 2030, of course.
haha i am going to play this game till nintendo stops supporting the wii u, but november is when star wars battlefront comes out :D

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
The Squid-Pop section with the Squid Sisters was definitely something, haha

I liked it! There was information we already knew, but I thought it was overall a decent overview of the game.

Very excited to see so many new weapons announced, and I'm excited for the new game modes as well! The capture the tower one looks really intense, as well and I wonder what "Rainmaker" will be about.

Ameise

Inkling
NNID
SandanTrainer
I think it really lived up to the hype and despite the lame start (I feared they might just show us things we already know) it then really had some big things.

I like the splatfest events. I also like how they release stuff time after time - for whichever reason. It will get us excited for a few months.

I think Nintendo is doing very much right with this game and I have a feeling it will get very popular.

Just wait a little bit, and in the end many of the people hating on the game and nintendo for such things like no voice chat and so on will buy a wii u if they dont own one already and play Splatoon because its just a fun game.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I enjoyed the Direct. I am glad the game have bosses and the "randomize teams" feature is really neat. The new characters (Spyke, Squid Sisters) have great designs, although the sisters are already starting to attract weird people (and I sure hope the moderation here are strict when it comes to NSFW content and creepy comments, otherwise I might just stay on SplatoonGAF). It was nice to have a deeper explanation on the weapons, too. And oh, loving the mini games to play during the match making. Lastly, amiibo locked content isn't that substantial and I am glad for that.

So far there is nothing to be disappointed about.

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
Online custom games, party matchmaking, free post-launch updates, more maps, more gametypes, more gear, demo. etc
I'm happy i was worried playing with friends would be a big hassle but a party system is coming later so i'm happy. I would love to know if the octgirls can be playable if they can swim through ink like the inklings.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
the biggest thing that makes me happy about this direct is that the developers really obvious care; they're giving away free dlc for the game, releasing a demo that you can play with them, and adding competitive features like private lobbies after the game's release. while obviously i wish some features were in the game to begin with *cough private lobbies and LAN *cough* it's so nice to see developers who actually have an interest in fostering a community and genuinely want people to enjoy their game how they want. it's not something you see a lot now.

CoopLan

Squid Streamer
NNID
LanceHS
the biggest thing that makes me happy about this direct is that the developers really obvious care; they're giving away free dlc for the game, releasing a demo that you can play with them, and adding competitive features like private lobbies after the game's release. while obviously i wish some features were in the game to begin with *cough private lobbies and LAN *cough* it's so nice to see developers who actually have an interest in fostering a community and genuinely want people to enjoy their game how they want. it's not something you see a lot now.
It's crazy that it has become the norm for games to not get so much support from the game devs after release or be released while missing content.

I'm glad Nintendo is owning up to the fact that the base game is missing things and won't be charging for the updates either. Things are looking good.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I thought it was okay, a lot of stuff was things we already knew but some answers is nice. :)
Also, totally bummed about having to pre-order for a Smash costume. :(

Tepig2000

Inkster Jr.
The start wasn't really exciting, but the rest was great. Tower Control looks like a really fun mode, and now I'm really curious to know what Rainmaker is about. Singleplayer looks really fun too, and the backstory behind it has me excited as well. I wonder if it will give some sort of insight on how the Inklings and Octarians became rivals. The Smash costumes are a really cool bonus. :D

Overall, it was amazing. Now I wish I had a Wii U...

Citanul

Senior Squid
NNID
outforprophets
My only question from the Direct: So if party matchmaking is coming later, does that mean that

1) You can't queue up with friends for Ranked?
2) ...or if you can queue up with friends for Ranked, that teams get shuffled like they do in Turf Wars?

Honestly, I'm not sure which I prefer of those 2 options. (1) sucks because the raidcall and voice coms are useless until premade matchmaking is implemented and (2) sucks because you open up a situation where people can boost their friends (on the opposite team) by playing poorly and sabotaging their team. Of course I'd want premade groups to be a thing for Ranked from the start but it sounds like it won't be.

Maybe Nintendo doesn't want premade squads running around destroying randomly assembled teams?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom