Splatoon Direct Summary

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
for people who are either at work or school and do not have time to watch the 33 minute direct. was written while i was watching it
  • direct link: http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/05-07-2015/
  • presents itself as an aperture science style powerpoint presentation
  • shows the character creation, lets you change skin color and eye color, but not hair color
  • you build momentum for longer jumps in squid form swimming in ink
  • shows off turf war
  • stepping in enemy ink impedes your movement, unclear if you take damage or not (you probably do)
  • the points you earn in a match are directly translated into currency to buy from shops, and it builds your XP
  • shows off urchin underpass (E3 map,) saltspray rig, blackbelly skatepark, walleye warehouse, and arowana mall (no new maps)
  • shows off inkopolis plaza, and the shops as following: booyah base (accessory shop,) jelly fresh (shirts shop,) shrimp kicks (shoe shop,) and cooler heads (hats shop,) and ammo knights (weapons store) and details about each shopkeepers personality
  • the efficiency of weapons you purchase increases as you level up
  • 3 general weapon types: shooters, chargers, and rollers
  • shows off the splattershot and blaster, and 2 new weapons; the aerospray mg, and the jet squelcher
  • shows off the splat charger, and 2 new weapons: the e-liter 3K, and splatterscope
  • shows off the splat roller and one new weapon: the dynamo roller
  • weapons are sold in sets, you cannot select your sub and special weapon
  • sub weapons: ink bomb, subction bomb, burst bomb, point sensor, ink mine, squid beacon, and the disruptor
  • special weapons: inkzooka, killer wail, inkstrike, echolocator, bubbler, and the kraken
  • clothes are sold in brands, and you can special order from one brand by inspecting an inkling at inkopolis plaza, similar to ordering furniture from streetpasses in animal crossing new leaf
  • perks are called abilities, clothes can earn more slots for perks by leveling them up by wearing them more
  • however, you can talk to spyke (new retailer) to buy more perk slots with a super sea snail
  • hero mode is renamed to octo valley
  • teakettles will teleport you throughout the current level in the singleplayer campaign
  • your goal at the end of every mission is to rescue an electric zappfish
  • the singleplayer levels will have several things that set each other apart, such as invisible floors, or geysers you shoot to ink up vertically
  • singleplayer will have boss battles
  • collect power eggs in the singleplayer to level up your weapon for the singleplayer exclusively
  • collect sunken scrolls in the singleplayer (one per stage) for exposition
  • INKLING JPOP
  • battle dojo is shown off
  • online is shown off further
  • regular battles are just turf war, and you can connect to a friends server. you can only vote between 2 maps at a time, and the list refreshes every 4 hours
  • ranked battles are splat zones (king of the hill gamemode,) and 2 new ones: tower control, and rainmaker
  • in tower control, you swim up a hovering tower and shoot it with ink. when you take control of it, it starts hovering toward a goal. you can capture an enemy's tower to move it toward your goal. the team to reach their goal first wins. comparable to payload in tf2, except not asymmetrical
  • the details for rainmaker are currently unknown
  • when enough players reach level 10, the level requirement for ranked battles will be patched out
  • dlc will be available to all players for free, such as new maps and weapons
  • the ink brush is planned for dlc
  • private lobbies will be patched in in august 2015
  • 2d arcade game is shown off, called ink jump, just a doodle jump clone
  • amiibo are shown off further
  • each amiibo offers 20 different missions
  • girl inkling provides charger challenges, boy inkling offers rollers challenges, and the squid amiibo offers kraken challenges and ink challenges
  • finishing amiibo levels unlocks new 2d arcade minigames in addition to cosmetic gear
  • the inkling idols host events called splatfests, in which all players are divided into teams. separate matchmaking mode from regular battles and ranked battles. playing them unlocks super sea snails for adding perks. similar to conquest mode in smash 4
  • first splatfest is june 20th-june 21st
  • SPLATOON ONLINE DEMO AVAILABLE NOW, PLAYABLE FRIDAY THROUGH SATURDAY
  • preorderers from gamestop get inkling costumes in smash 4

Last edited:

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
Does anyone have the exact times the servers will be up for the demo though? You can only play the demo at certain times.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Does anyone have the exact times the servers will be up for the demo though? You can only play the demo at certain times.
not at the moment, anticipate a tweet from NoA

unless you mean the dates which are 8/5/2015 - 9/5/2015

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
I think it does give time windows for the test days. Check that part of the presentation again.

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
HOOOOOO BOY! They nailed it. Every question and worry I had was dealt with, and now I can say with absolute confidence that Splatoon will rock. Bring on May 29th!

BoTalksGames

Pro Squid
Content Team
NNID
BjFauble
So do we know if the demo will have ANY form of offline play?

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
the demo is awesome, but you know what's even better than that?

FREE DLC, INCLUDING MAPS AND WEAPONS

how come no one's talking about that?
I'd like to talk about the custom 8 player mode (sort of confirms either legit or quasi-LAN), but not too much since have to wait until August for it.

So do we know if the demo will have ANY form of offline play?
It might. You can probably open it and look at the title screen. Maybe the demo is even what we will have to use to do like a vanilla LAN sort of thing, since it looks exactly like the demo used at events up to this point.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
Honestly I'm a little bummed we need to wait for private lobbies, but since they're getting patched in soon enough, I'll just have fun going solo in random rooms until then.

RespawningJesus

NNID
RespawningJesus
Time the servers are up for the demo is:

8pm-9pm pst
Friday

4am-5am pst
noon-1pm pst
Saturday

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
For those of us in the jolly old UK, the demo times are as follows:

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
It's a little over half of a gig so good luck to anyone who has a white Wii U without an extra hard drive.
well i mean.. it says 586 MB right there in the image :P

but yeah, for people running out of space on their 32 GB HDD like i am, might wanna uninstall some stuff if you want this

RespawningJesus

NNID
RespawningJesus
This is why I don't download a whole lot of stuff on my Wii U.

Setnaro X

Full Squid
the demo is awesome, but you know what's even better than that?

FREE DLC, INCLUDING MAPS AND WEAPONS

how come no one's talking about that?
All those free stuff feel like it should've been in the game in the first place. Unless someone can prove otherwise, it just looks like locked content in an attempt to keep the game fresh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom