• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon needs regional option

Toadie

Inkling
I always get placed into a room with at least 4 Japanese who are lag ridden pests. I've been the only English in the lobby various times and it's irritating. Especially whenever you have a roller and you bounce off the enemey you've killed, run him over AGAIN then you both die because he splatted me... When I clearly killed him!

I could rant for ages about how stupid the lobbying system is but to sum it down, we need a regional mode for less lag.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
I can agree. But, there are many others who won't. They value larger player bases and shorter que times, as opposed to smoother games and longer que times.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Which is why he/she is talking about an "OPTION".
So that you can decide for yourself, what would be best for you.
Mario Kart WII did it too. And it worked really well, if you ask me.

I mean, the frustration about japanese players is totally understandable.
So of course, he or she would want to avoid them, if possible.

Of course, the August update allows us to play with people we select for ourselves.
But it won't give us any XP or Money.
And getting those, shouldn't be more frustrating than needed be,

So yeah, totally understandable viewpoint.

ShinyTogetic

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Maikaru
Switch Friend Code
SW-3468-6485-0599
From taking part of the previous splatfests I'd rather not have a regional option >.>

cool6012

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Cool6012
I want this simply because there was a match where I killed a japanese player, then shots started flying at me which I expected. Then he threw a SEEKER at me and stated pursuing me for a good 5 seconds until he finally "died".

I was speechless.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
I already have issues with match making putting me into rooms way below my rank or with all of the same weapon. I can only imagine with a smaller queue this would only increase.

Maybe its because I'm closer state side to Japan but I haven't experienced bad Japanese player lag consistently and I am often in all Japanese rooms. Plus I've seen laggy English players as well.

StayPuft

Pro Squid
NNID
cellularSP
I started thinking about this last night, after a Japanese player with a carbon roller would literally tank multiple shots from a slosher and OHKO players on my team without even being close enough to be able to do so, and then roll around choppily at the speed of a paintbrush; it would've been hilarious if it wasn't so terrifying. We sort of lost because no one could kill him until late in the game, but it was too late at that point.

While I don't think regional matchmaking would be a terrible option, I'm not sure if the playerbase is big enough to split them up like that. Right now, queues are almost instant a good 9 times out of 10 outside of ranked. I'm assuming the developers want players to instantly play a match whenever they want, at least in turf wars. If Splatfest is an indicator of anything, regional matchmaking options would make getting into a turf wars match a bit harder and longer.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Welp, of course the option would have its drawbacks.
That it might take longer to get a room full.
Still, it is your decision, whether you would prefer to wait longer, but play only with people from your region, not having to deal with the japanese...
... or if you want to play as fast as possible, but risking having to deal with them.

Nothing really speaks against a Regional option.
Unless of course, the player-base is not big enough yet.

Marie

Inkster Jr.
Agreed, I can't stand playing ranked, getting a disconnect, and losing 10 points.

While yet, I disagree. I want to get into matches fast, and most lobbies consist of Japanese players, which give me some matches to play.

If this wasn't the case, I shouldn't be running into the "WAITING FOR AVAILABLE BATTLE" HUD, if there was enough matches.

jason1637

Senior Squid
NNID
jason1637
Agreed, I can't stand playing ranked, getting a disconnect, and losing 10 points.

While yet, I disagree. I want to get into matches fast, and most lobbies consist of Japanese players, which give me some matches to play.

If this wasn't the case, I shouldn't be running into the "WAITING FOR AVAILABLE BATTLE" HUD, if there was enough matches.
this

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
The way I see it, matchmaking should automatically search for players in your region first, and then after a certain amount of time has passed, it should focus on filling the lobby with anyone.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
I already have issues with match making putting me into rooms way below my rank or with all of the same weapon. I can only imagine with a smaller queue this would only increase.

Maybe its because I'm closer state side to Japan but I haven't experienced bad Japanese player lag consistently and I am often in all Japanese rooms. Plus I've seen laggy English players as well.
I would like to recant my earlier statements after participating in squad ranked battles last night. I feel like all the laggy japanese players group together with their laggy friends and we had to play them. It was much worse with Tower Control with players teleporting on and off the tower. Some English players seem to lag too but not as a collective team like the Japanese players.

I agree with above comments that they should try to match by region and then worldwide after a certain period of time.

DW448

Inkling
I knew there hadn't been any news or leaks about it, but I was disappointed regional matchmaking wasn't part of the August update. They should at least make it an option.

I've gotten into the habit of only playing the game in the span 10pm-4am because that's when the lag is at its lowest for me (and I'm available), and that means I can only play maybe an hour per day since I have to get up and go to work weekdays. The game becomes almost unplayable around 6-8pm, which is when I would otherwise play. and I don't have this problem during Splatfest, so I'm pretty sure regional matchmaking would help.

It would make wait times longer, but I for one would gladly accept the longer wait times to be able to play earlier in the evening, and if there are a lot of people like me who would play more if they could play regionally, it would bring the wait times down again somewhat, particularly during European peak hours.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
After today's Splatfest (I am German, so EU), I am definitely convinced that a "Continental" option would be god-sent.

Normal Turf Wars have been curbstomp matches for me, that were impossoble to win.
While I hate being racist or stereotypical, I really feel them asian players are to blame for this.
Again, either due to lag or due to uber-skills, that normal people can't even hope to defeat.

While I know that people inside my region lag too (there were quite a few of them during Splatfest actually). I feel that asian players do it most.
And I don't really want to play with them, because of those two reasons.

The thing is: THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!!!
No matter at what time I play, be it early morning, midday, afternoon, evening or midnight, THEY ARE ALWAYS THERE!
They always make up at least half of the room.

Sorry if I come off as a jerk. I know there are asian players, who don't have those uber-skills and play the Turfs how it is intended.
But since most asians either lag or do the curbstomp, I always do the "NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE" if I see a room filled with many of them.
I can't possibly tell, if there is an exceptional case in there.

In any case, Splatfest battles have been a much more balanced and pleasant experience, compared to regular Turf Matches.
No asian uber-skills and much less lag (tho still present with some people).
A stress reliever I needed badly.

And that is why I am fully convinced, that a regional option would be so needed, in my eyes.

Kat

Wet, Warm & Sticky
NNID
FunkyFlump
90% of online shooters have a series of regional servers that match you up based on ping but I don't think Splatoon has this matchmaking system as I'm in the UK and get JP players which means the pings must be in the region of like 300 which is absurd. Splatoon needs it's matchmaking touching up.

Beerox

Inkster Jr.
The way I see it, matchmaking should automatically search for players in your region first, and then after a certain amount of time has passed, it should focus on filling the lobby with anyone.
Yep, that sounds good.

I don't have this huge negative experience playing with Japanese, it doesn't bother me. Games aren't perfect and I can deal with that. But in general what you're proposing is a good idea. How many North Americans play this game anyways? I wonder.

Funen1

Full Squid
NNID
Funen1
I don't know, from my experience Splatfest matches end up being more prone to unstable connections, not less. I can at least accommodate to in-game lag and/or just leave the lobby afterwards if it's really that bad, but I'd take that over both myself and others being randomly disconnected multiple times, in my case despite having a wired connection. >.< I do feel like that's more because of how Splatfest battles are hosted overall as opposed to it specifically being region-locked, but based on what I've seen I'd rather be able to finish my matches more reliably.

And even if the Japanese players as a whole are much better than everyone else, why should I be afraid of that? Try to learn from them, I say.

DWK

Inkling
NNID
danceswithkoopas
This is the norm for most online games. Splatoon shows why. I'd rather wait a little longer for matches than have to put up with invincible Japanese players every day all day.

This Splatfest in particular (Europe at least) has proven it works for the better and global lobbies are not needed.

Krak-On Kraken

Inkling
NNID
Konofox
I was kind of neutral to the whole point of regional matchmaking, but after seeing how a lot of people suffer from long ping times despite having a perfectly fine internet connection themselves, I think that a regional option would do a lot more good than harm. I mean, it would be completely optional, after all, and most online games have it as well IIRC (such as Mario Kart games).

The one roadblock I see with this is whether Splatoon actually has a player base large enough to accommodate for the fact that it might be split between those in global matchmaking and those in regional, thus increasing waiting times on the whole and proving to be a real headache to everyone involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom