Splatoon Reviews OUT NOW!

Gunster25

Pro Squid
Within the last hour over 60 reviews for Splatoon have come out, here's a run down of how the game is fairing so far;
The Escapist - 90/100
BGR - 4.5/5
Paragon - 8.5
The Telegraph - 4.5/5
Game Trailer - 8.4
Destructoid - 8.5
IGN & Gamespot (My prediction based off of their reviews without the score) 8.3 - 8.9
The Time - 5/5

So Splatoon is doing great in reviews, the game could sell very well if IGN & Gamespot give the scores I have predicted

bluekentuckyboy

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
bluekentuckyboy
As I predicted as well, the reviewers are giving the game a good score but not a great score. Without watching/reading any of them I bet many complained over the lack of content in multiplayer.

Graff

I'm not funny D:
NNID
griffingraff
I'm also seeing some 7s, one being from Nintendo Enthusiast, which kinda surprised me. I personally give it 5 Orcas out of 5.

toadster101

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0022-0027-5937
Fair scores all around. They can't critique content that doesn't exist. I expect it to settle at 82 on Metacritic, which is pretty darn good for a new IP.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
As I predicted as well, the reviewers are giving the game a good score but not a great score. Without watching/reading any of them I bet many complained over the lack of content in multiplayer.
Wait, what? A score within the 8.0 range is not a great score? This is why I hate the rating systems we have for these things.

Geistbox

Full Squid
Low-to-mid-end 8's sounds about right. Overall the main consensus seems to be that the game is great but a little bit starved on content, which is completely fair.

Gunster25

Pro Squid
Yeah that was the main thing they complained about, as well as there not being any in game voice chat available.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
Missing Content is the one thing giving them the 8's. If only it was magically available at launch, I'm sure this game would be sitting in the 9.5 range.

Gunster25

Pro Squid
Missing Content is the one thing giving them the 8's. If only it was magically available at launch, I'm sure this game would be sitting in the 9.5 range.
Nintendo should have released Ranked Battle as soon as the game launched, like you said the game would get much higher reviews.

Chapter Serf

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
ChapterSerf
I personally don't give a **** about what the "Games Media" and "Games Journalists" have to say. I only care about what the man on the street and folks like TotalBiscuit on YouTube say.

Gunster25

Pro Squid
I personally don't give a **** about what the "Games Media" and "Games Journalists" have to say. I only care about what the man on the street and folks like TotalBiscuit on YouTube say.
That really is what will decide how well Splatoon does, if Youtubers like TB, Zero Punctuation, etc... Give it good feedback then their subscribers will be much more likely to buy the game themselves.

bluekentuckyboy

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
bluekentuckyboy
Wait, what? A score within the 8.0 range is not a great score? This is why I hate the rating systems we have for these things.
It would be a great score if all the numbers were weighted evenly. Unless it is notorious for being one of the worst games ever made (Like E.T or something) then bad games generally get a 5 or 6, leaving medicore at 7, good at 8, great at 9 and amazing at anything over 9.5. Again it is because of 1-5 being generally used to rank the worst games ever instead of just bad games.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I expected mostly 8s.. I'm assuming The Time and The Escapist aren't very credible places for reviews..

Toidiedud

Inkling
NNID
Toidiedud
How is just a bit over the average of 8 make them not credible? Escapist is a fine site.

Anyways, just what I expected. Seems the general consensus is that its a lean package that needs more content but the core game is so fun it overshadows that aspect.

IttyBit

Inkster Jr.
NNID
IttyBit
Well that's much better than I hoped!
I was expecting around a 7 or so, but 8's around the board is pretty cool too!

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I feel as though an 8 is a great score, but thats the problem with reviews, the scores are either meaningless or all anyone cares about. What is truly important is what is in the review.

Also, as others have said, this game automatically gets better after the updates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom