• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon Survey

Kidnacho

Senior Squid
NNID
Kidnacho
Switch Friend Code
SW-3767-4369-9288
Thank you so much! :D And sure, if you'd like to share, then by all means go ahead; you might tell me something that I haven't hear yet which is always good for the discussion portion of my paper. Plus I just love hearing everyone's Splatoon stories. :)
No Problem ;) And hopefully it is. (And hopefully I can explain it well)
So one night I was playing public Rainmaker, y'know nothing too special. If it matters the maps were Camp Triggerfish and Port Mackerel. I was using my standard defensive carrier set (Defense Up/Swim Speed Up) But within 5 rounds I noticed something different. The entire lobby made me the carrier of the Rainmaker. Normally I can see why it doesn't seem special. However, it was hard to miss that everyone had the same plan in mind (if they were on my team): Burst the shield, Make a path, Get me to the goal. Every match was like that. More specifically this is how it played out: Match start. My team would automatically rush towards the shield and start making paths for me while I came from behind trying to support the team. I can remember the area always being safe when I arrived and no one else was there. I even remember my team splitting up with no problem when it came to creating a safe route for me. From there it was quite obvious that most if not all "C'mon!'s were my teammates directing me where to go and they were very defensive around me. Rarely did I ever die and even more rarely did my team ever lose. And this went on for at least an hour, probably closer to two. Basically with no verbal communication an entire public lobby followed the same pattern and it worked! If it I didn't explain it well I apologize and I hope this helps!

Magic8Ball

Inkling Cadet
Community Ambassador
NNID
M4g1c8Ball
This research seems very cool! It's very intriguing to think about how your actions are perceived by other players, especially the subtleties that each of us have that other players can notice. I haven't gotten a chance to fill out the form yet, but I sure will when I get the chance.

I think this was the most appropriate place to put this, but I'm no mod or admin. I think it's a very good discussion to have, and I doubt any of the other staff members will have any problems with it. Thanks for your consideration tho!

Fullmental

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Pokeman92
I've filled out the survey. I can generally be oblivious at times but there are certain gestures I'll notice, or points where a teammate is obviously asking for assistance or trying to rally the members. I have a feeling I'll learn more about how to interpret them as I play the game.

TheOnlyStarz

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TheOnlyStarz
Switch Friend Code
SW-2730-2890-7517
No Problem ;) And hopefully it is. (And hopefully I can explain it well)
So one night I was playing public Rainmaker, y'know nothing too special. If it matters the maps were Camp Triggerfish and Port Mackerel. I was using my standard defensive carrier set (Defense Up/Swim Speed Up) But within 5 rounds I noticed something different. The entire lobby made me the carrier of the Rainmaker. Normally I can see why it doesn't seem special. However, it was hard to miss that everyone had the same plan in mind (if they were on my team): Burst the shield, Make a path, Get me to the goal. Every match was like that. More specifically this is how it played out: Match start. My team would automatically rush towards the shield and start making paths for me while I came from behind trying to support the team. I can remember the area always being safe when I arrived and no one else was there. I even remember my team splitting up with no problem when it came to creating a safe route for me. From there it was quite obvious that most if not all "C'mon!'s were my teammates directing me where to go and they were very defensive around me. Rarely did I ever die and even more rarely did my team ever lose. And this went on for at least an hour, probably closer to two. Basically with no verbal communication an entire public lobby followed the same pattern and it worked! If it I didn't explain it well I apologize and I hope this helps!
No need to apologize! :) You did a very good at explaining. From what I was able to tell, what played a very big part in your success rate was each players ability to assume a role and follow through with the expectations of each role. Synchrony (I'm pretty sure that's what it's called, but I could be wrong) is another important factor that occurred during your matches; some players just simply sync up better with certain players (I'd have to do a whole other study to provide evidence as to why this happens. lol). You and your teammates seemed to have a decent understanding of spacial behavior and environmental detail as well. The "verbal" call outs of "C'mon!" played an assisting role to the nonverbal cues being passed around, and ultimately helped lead your teams to victory. If you kept becoming the "Rainmaker carrier" each time and if the same people remained in the lobby, then it's safe to assume that what I just explained holds true; the more time people spend time together, the more they pick up on the nonverbal cues. And even if there are new players to the match, if there are enough players who already know the strategy, then the other player will eventually pick up on the "communication" being tossed around. lol But yeah, that's just my take on your story; it was a very interesting read. :) Thank you for sharing it with me! It definitely helps support the hypothesis of my research.

TheOnlyStarz

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TheOnlyStarz
Switch Friend Code
SW-2730-2890-7517
This research seems very cool! It's very intriguing to think about how your actions are perceived by other players, especially the subtleties that each of us have that other players can notice. I haven't gotten a chance to fill out the form yet, but I sure will when I get the chance.

I think this was the most appropriate place to put this, but I'm no mod or admin. I think it's a very good discussion to have, and I doubt any of the other staff members will have any problems with it. Thanks for your consideration tho!
I'm glad you think so as well. :) My professor highly encouraged us to choose topics of our interests to study, and in order to become a better player of Splatoon, I had to learn the nonverbal language of the game. Thus I made it the primary focus of my research.

That's good. I just don't want to cause any problems. You're welcome! ^-^ Thank you guys for all the support in the project! I'm seriously grateful!

TheOnlyStarz

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TheOnlyStarz
Switch Friend Code
SW-2730-2890-7517
I've filled out the survey. I can generally be oblivious at times but there are certain gestures I'll notice, or points where a teammate is obviously asking for assistance or trying to rally the members. I have a feeling I'll learn more about how to interpret them as I play the game.
Thank you so much! :) It's okay. Yeah, it's not always easy to notice the subtle messages behind the gestures in the game; that's part of the reason I wanted to get everyone opinions on certain gestures, to see if there was any pattern. And just knowing about nonverbal cues in the real world can help better understand the nonverbal communication in the game. I found watching other players play the game helped me a lot in interpreting the gestures in the game as well.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Supremely minor nitpick - you can quote multiple posts in one response. Quote one, type your response, quote the next, repeat. Just trying to save you a little hassle :)

Kidnacho

Senior Squid
NNID
Kidnacho
Switch Friend Code
SW-3767-4369-9288
No need to apologize! :) You did a very good at explaining. From what I was able to tell, what played a very big part in your success rate was each players ability to assume a role and follow through with the expectations of each role. Synchrony (I'm pretty sure that's what it's called, but I could be wrong) is another important factor that occurred during your matches; some players just simply sync up better with certain players (I'd have to do a whole other study to provide evidence as to why this happens. lol). You and your teammates seemed to have a decent understanding of spacial behavior and environmental detail as well. The "verbal" call outs of "C'mon!" played an assisting role to the nonverbal cues being passed around, and ultimately helped lead your teams to victory. If you kept becoming the "Rainmaker carrier" each time and if the same people remained in the lobby, then it's safe to assume that what I just explained holds true; the more time people spend time together, the more they pick up on the nonverbal cues. And even if there are new players to the match, if there are enough players who already know the strategy, then the other player will eventually pick up on the "communication" being tossed around. lol But yeah, that's just my take on your story; it was a very interesting read. :) Thank you for sharing it with me! It definitely helps support the hypothesis of my research.
You're welcome! Glad I could help :)

TheOnlyStarz

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TheOnlyStarz
Switch Friend Code
SW-2730-2890-7517
Supremely minor nitpick - you can quote multiple posts in one response. Quote one, type your response, quote the next, repeat. Just trying to save you a little hassle :)
Oh! Thank you! I'm sorry! I had no idea that was possible. >~<" My bad.

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
Only thing I'd suggest is adding a "most of the time" option, as that was the only one lacking, good survey though, filled it all out.

ultra777

Full Squid
NNID
crazydragon1000
One of my favorite forms of communication in this game is when you die and your teammate splats the one who splatted you and you say booyah as a thank you and they respond back with a booyah as a your welcome. The opposite could happen too like when your the one doing the avenging.

TheOnlyStarz

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TheOnlyStarz
Switch Friend Code
SW-2730-2890-7517
Only thing I'd suggest is adding a "most of the time" option, as that was the only one lacking, good survey though, filled it all out.
I had originally planned on adding that option, however it would be easier to calculate my data with only those 4 options. Though probably switching "Sometimes" with "Most of the Time" might've been better. Oh well, it would be too late to change it now. Thank you for taking the survey and letting me know; I appreciate it! :)

One of my favorite forms of communication in this game is when you die and your teammate splats the one who splatted you and you say booyah as a thank you and they respond back with a booyah as a your welcome. The opposite could happen too like when your the one doing the avenging.
Ah yes! I love when that happens; it's so satisfying! ^-^

TheOnlyStarz

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TheOnlyStarz
Switch Friend Code
SW-2730-2890-7517
The survey is officially closed! I want to thank everyone who participated. You guys seriously helped me out! I was able to collect more than enough responses. Thank you all once again! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom