• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon Version 2.0.0: Patch Notes

The big August update has been looming on the horizon for a long time, but it's finally here!

This is the big one - party matchmaking, private games, level/ranking increases, map changes, and more. Truly the largest and most significant to the final product since launch.

The developers were generous enough to provide us with official patch notes. Read on to learn more about what the update brings to the table:

Update Details:
Ver. 2.0.0 [To be released on 08/05/15]

Squad Battle

• Users will be able to create a squad with friends and battle against other squads in Ranked Battle.
    *Squad Battle can be accessed by players who are at level 10 or higher.
    *Once a squad is created, friends of friends will be able to join the squad.
    *Passwords can be set if users wish to only play with specific friends.
    *Squad Battle can only be played against other users who are playing Squad Battle. (Ranked Battle players will not be matched up with Squad Battle players.)
  • Users will be able to create a Squad of 4, Squad of 3, or Squad of 2.
    *Squads of 3 may be matched up against Squads of 4.
    *When a Squad of 3 plays against a Squad of 4, the game will be set so the Squad of 3 respawns faster, but in general, the Squad of 3 will be at a disadvantage.
    *Squads of 2 will be matched up with three other Squads of 2, resulting in a match between "Squad of 2 x 2" vs "Squad of 2 x 2".
This is all pretty self-explanatory. If you don't want to solo queue, you can join ranked matchmaking with 1-3 other players. Like private battles, you can password-protect your lobbies to allow only specific people to join.

Worth mentioning: Squads of 3 may potentially be paired up against a team of 4. If this is the case, this team apparently has a shorter overall respawn time. It's unclear how much shorter this is. Further, the wording seems to imply that teams will be at a disadvantage in general, which may be pointing to different point spreads for winning and losing in contrast to Squads of 4 playing Squads of 4, etc.

Private Battle

• In Private Battle, friends can play in private, customizable matches.
    *Friends of friends will be able to join.
    *Passwords can be set if users wish to only play with specific friends.
Private battle will also allow players to play locally on a single Internet connection, which can be used for playing in large, in-person groups or events and competitions.

Updated Levels:

• Users will be able to level up to level 50.
    *This will be unlocked once players reach level 20 and go to the lobby.

Updated Ranks:

• Users will be able to achieve rank S and S+.
    *Rank S and S+ can only be attained by playing Ranked Battle, not through Squad Battle.
    *Once users reach rank S and S+, the rank will no longer be affected by the results of Squad Battle.
  • Change the calculation method for Rank Points based on the results in Ranked Battle.
  • Users will be sent back to the lobby when their ranks change in Ranked Battle.
You may be able to hit A+ with a team, but you'll have to solo queue for the coveted S and S+ ranks. Further, you won't be able to derank from these levels unless you lose in solo queue - losing in Squad Battle will not affect your rank.

Distribution of ranking points has also been altered, although it is unclear how. Point distribution may become more lenient, as its been rather strict since the launch of Ranked.

New Gear

• New gear has been added, which will appear in the in-game shop at random.

New Background Music

• New BGM has been added, which will play during battles at random.

SplatFest Update

• During the results of Splatfest, the winning percentage will be multiplied by 4 rather than 2.
Finally some new music!

("Old" Urchin Underpass)
[Check the new Urchin Underpass here!]

Stage Adjustments

• Urchin Underpass: Overall layout has been adjusted in all modes.
  • Saltspray Rig: Adjusted stage layout in Tower Control.
  • Arowana Mall: Adjusted stage layout in Splat Zones.
  • Kelp Dome: Adjusted stage layout in Splat Zones and Tower Control.
  • Moray Towers: Adjusted stage layout in Splat Zones and Tower Control.
Urchin Underpass is the major change out of the five map rehauls, boasting completely new lanes, removing choke points, changing tree locations, and removing glass panels. Further, Urchin Underpass's changes are across all modes.

Changes for other maps listed are minimal and mode-specific.

Special Weapon Adjustments

• Adjust the points needed to use Inkzooka from 180p to 220p.
  • Adjust the points needed to use Point Sensor from 180p to 200p.
  • Adjust the points needed to use Killer Wail from 180p to 160p.
    *The above numbers apply when users do not have the Special Charge Up ability equipped.

Sub Weapon Adjustments:

• Splash Wall: Correct the amount of damage done by bombs when they are thrown against the Splash Wall.
For the first time, we're seeing weapon changes based on point accumulation needed to activate special weapons. They are all focused on some of the most common special weapons in the game, especially the Inkzooka.

The Inkzooka receives the most substantial change, an increase of 40 points required from 180 to 220.

The changes to Point Sensor and Killer Wail are less significant. Point Sensor has been increased to 200 required points, only 20 points up from the initial 180. Meanwhile, Killer Wail has gone down from 180 to 160.

The Inkzooka change is expected - both the Inkstrike and Inkzooka are popular and very effective weapons, to the point that they've already been changed in previous patches. While it remains to be seen how much of an effect a 40 point increase will have on Inkzooka play, it's clear the developers are trying to wrangle in one of the best specials available.

On the other hand, the Killer Wail, which is just as common as the Inkzooka, if not more so, received a point requirement decrease. Killer Wail is a smart choice for gametypes like Splat Zones, where it can clear out an entire area of interest thanks to its large blast radius and duration. It raises the question why the Killer Wail received this buff, when the Point Sensor (not a dominant or even particularly common special) receives a nerf.

We'll just have to see how these changes pan out!

Ability Adjustments

• Tenacity: Adjustments will be made so the special gauge begins to fill up after the battle begins, rather than starting prior to the battle.
  • Special Charge Up: Adjustments will be made so the special gauge will fill up in amounts consistent with the amount of area inked.
Changes for consistency's sake are welcome changes, indeed!

Sound Effects Adjustments

• Adjust the sound effects for Inkstrike so it can be heard when it is about to strike on the left, right, or back of the player.
  • Adjust the sound effects for some of the longer range weapons so it can be heard from far away when it hits.

Other:

• Adjustments will be made to make for a more pleasant gaming experience.
And who doesn't love a more pleasant gaming experience?

Get to enjoying the new version of Splatoon when it's downloaded to your console and let us know what you think about the new features, upgrades, and modifications introduced in this new patch!

TheRapture

Comments

It's glorious! This was a lot more than I was expecting. Interesting to see Wail get a buff.

Here's a sample of the new music if anyone wants to listen to it.

BTW, I don't think Point Sensor is a special.;) Echolocator maybe.

So happy I can make it into squad battles and not lose my rank! I'm gonna reach A+ in no time now! Super excited for the rest of this too!

As River said, Point Sensor needs to be changed to Echolocator. Anyways hype update, although it kinda sucks you have to use solo queue to get S/S+ rank.

echolocator is really good, people just understimate it honestly. Inkzooka nerf doesn't surprise me at all since it can do so much. Killer Wail buff is because, frankly, the killer wail by itself doesn't typically do very much, and you can't hinge as many moves on it as other specials like inkzooka. It's not a bad special, but it can only really do anything most of the time when combined with other efforts to take advantage of the area they get cut out from. Even when used optimally by itself for kills it won't usually get as many nor as important kills as the inkzooka, mostly because it's slow so you won't hit the guys zoning you who have room to escape to, unlike zooka which will typically be able to get them before they retreat.

I'm totally hyped for this update for all the upcoming features and balance changes. Making the Special Charge Up ability more consistent to amount of area inked sounds like a buff to me.

It's glorious! This was a lot more than I was expecting. Interesting to see Wail get a buff.

Here's a sample of the new music if anyone wants to listen to it.

BTW, I don't think Point Sensor is a special.;) Echolocator maybe.
It sound great.

Echolocator needed the nerf. Although it doesn't directly kill the enemies, it does lead to their deaths most of the time. The inkzooka is only effective in certain situations and the weapons that use it die often, while echolocator, which is on the E Liter, one of the most powerful weapons in the game that doesn't die often, almost guarantees 2-4 kills.

Nerfing echolocator in a way buffs the point sensor. Besides the adjustments are just by around 10 points each so you wont notice it too much.

I am excited to try this stuff out. It will be neat to keep seeing more and more content down the road after this as well. Good stuff!

How many hours for EU download? Also I need to make room, if I delete the youtube part in data management. Thats nothing to do with my saved data for games right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom