• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Sploosh-o-matic: Analysis and Thoughts

xXDR.SWOOCEXx

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SupahHotFire17
@doritos29 this is why i would prefer the Aerospray over the Sploosh. If you try to sneak up behind a roller, you also have to undo the trail they made. They will probably notice you so greater range is good. From anywhere else, getting kills with this weapon shouldn't be a problem if you have steady aim.

SpaceCanary

Full Squid
NNID
SpaceCanary
This weapon is actually pretty good at guarding Splat Zones. If you hide in the ink outside the zone, you can surprise splat anyone who tries to sneak in and take it. (I often call this playing janitor position, as their main job is to stay close and mop up Inkstrikes.) It's pretty good at taking out anyone that doesn't see you coming. Plus, it re-inks the zone fast and has Squid Beakons to provide your team a speedy, safe way back to the zone. This is how I usually play it.

Still waiting for the Neo though, what it lacks is a sub or special that retaliates fast and the Kraken is just that.

curry time

Senior Squid
NNID
NobleCactus
This weapon is actually pretty good at guarding Splat Zones. If you hide in the ink outside the zone, you can surprise splat anyone who tries to sneak in and take it. (I often call this playing janitor position, as their main job is to stay close and mop up Inkstrikes.) It's pretty good at taking out anyone that doesn't see you coming. Plus, it re-inks the zone fast and has Squid Beakons to provide your team a speedy, safe way back to the zone. This is how I usually play it.

Still waiting for the Neo though, what it lacks is a sub or special that retaliates fast and the Kraken is just that.
Not to mention that it's surprisingly good at taking the points themselves. It really shines on Moray and Arowana Zones, where it can cover each point in one sweep provided it's not getting rained on too much.

Outside of hugging range, though, this thing has abysmal combat flexibility. Best to play it as a support weapon like you mentioned. Run some Special Charge Ups and constantly fire off Wails, it's super annoying for the enemy team.

xXDR.SWOOCEXx

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SupahHotFire17

Janitor position, I like that.:D

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Oh man, this weapon. I think it's mostly hampered by the fact it has really bad subs. If only it had burst bombs/disruptors and 'zooka for special to help it with it's weak range, it might be slightly better. Ambushing takes time and is near impossible to pull off when the enemy team is dominating, and weapons that focus entirely on one aspect are always going to have trouble.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Oh man, this weapon. I think it's mostly hampered by the fact it has really bad subs. If only it had burst bombs/disruptors and 'zooka for special to help it with it's weak range, it might be slightly better. Ambushing takes time and is near impossible to pull off when the enemy team is dominating, and weapons that focus entirely on one aspect are always going to have trouble.
Before you complain about this or any other weapon's combat effectiveness being hampered by their subs, you have to realize that literally EVERY single weapon would benefit from having bombs of some sort in combat situations.

Some weapons find success not by splatting the other players, but by securing alternate routes, which this weapon does well. And thanks to the Killer Wail buff, it's not too hard to create a gap in the enemy stronghold for your team to get through.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Before you complain about this or any other weapon's combat effectiveness being hampered by their subs, you have to realize that literally EVERY single weapon would benefit from having bombs of some sort in combat situations.

Some weapons find success not by splatting the other players, but by securing alternate routes, which this weapon does well. And thanks to the Killer Wail buff, it's not too hard to create a gap in the enemy stronghold for your team to get through.
Depends on the weapon itself whenever bombs will be (the most) useful, but i'll agree that bombs are the most universally helpful thing out there for weapons. It'd work wonders here because the burst bomb can be thrown far beyond the weapon's range itself, while the sploosh itself can be used for close ranged antics. It wouldn't make the sploosh good or anything but it'd still fill a niece of some kind. Right now i'm thinking of a weapon that doesn't hard counter it and i'm having the hardest time here.

The biggest issue i have right now everything the sploosh does, other weps do better. Want to be able to cover turf and have splatting power for all ranges? Take your pick between Aero MG or Carbon Roller. Weapons that make the most out of Beakons AND can exploit vunerable positions? Octobrush will be a better choice and can splat more reliably. At least the Nozzle/Rapid Blaster have nieces to fill, the Sploosh doesn't have any of that kind.

Last edited:

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The biggest issue i have right now everything the sploosh does, other weps do better. Want to be able to cover turf and have splatting power for all ranges? Take your pick between Aero MG or Carbon Roller. Weapons that make the most out of Beakons AND can exploit vunerable positions? Octobrush will be a better choice and can splat more reliably. At least the Nozzle/Rapid Blaster have nieces to fill, the Sploosh doesn't have any of that kind.
Well, aside of the one-shot splat weapons, I think the Sploosh-o-matic can splat in the shortest amount of time (except maybe the Heavy Splatling, and you need to charge that thing to do anything meaningful). The only time I've been able to fight one is when I'm out of it's range; otherwise they splat me before I even realize they're next to me

curry time

Senior Squid
NNID
NobleCactus
Well, aside of the one-shot splat weapons, I think the Sploosh-o-matic can splat in the shortest amount of time (except maybe the Heavy Splatling, and you need to charge that thing to do anything meaningful). The only time I've been able to fight one is when I'm out of it's range; otherwise they splat me before I even realize they're next to me
The problem here is that you literally have to be hugging the enemy to get a reliable kill. Beyond three feet, the Sploosh's shots vary too much for a reliable kill.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The problem here is that you literally have to be hugging the enemy to get a reliable kill. Beyond three feet, the Sploosh's shots vary too much for a reliable kill.
I know about that, but I think the gun is sort of "unbuffable". If it gets a longer range, then the Jr. becomes obsolete aside of the Bubbler (and no weapon should be considered usable just because of its loadout); if it gets better accuracy, then it might get a bit too good at splatting enemies (the Heavy Splatling also got this treatement to keep it from completely outshining the Jet Squelcher). In any case, I think the better question to ask instead of "why can't I shoot farther?" is "how can I get closer?"

deepseadiva

Full Squid
Obviously the weapon lacks range. But like @LMG noted, the kill time for this weapon may very well be the shortest in the game.

THANK YOUUUUU so tired of reading this for every single weapon that has a sprinkler/beakon/mine. Bombs are the most obvious basic solution to range problems. But the point of a package of weapon/sub/special is to create variance. Otherwise the game is just copies of the tentatek.

Ametrine

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ferrethugger98
I gave the Sploosh a whirl in Rainmaker on the other day, and I can certainly say that it is a viable choice. The benefits of the Killer Wail go without saying, and in those situations where you and an enemy squid are going wild on the Rainmaker shield, you're more than likely to last longer than the enemy due to the inkredible ink efficiency. Unless you are killed, that shield is going down. When a teammate picks up the Rainmaker, you can go ahead and paint a path much faster than the Rainmaker bearer ever could, as well as harass enemy squids with your scary fire rate. Even if they back off, they are likely injured and you just bought enough time to allow the Rainmaker bearer to finish them off.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Oh boy, reading this thread was interesting with the negative points with a few sprinkles of positives. As for me, I loved using the weapon all the time and even got quite far with it back when Moray was still new, but I've since left it a little behind and forgot how much I used it. I'm planning on picking it up again tonight, though, while keeping the advice from this thread in mind.

JFL

Senior Squid
NNID
AldricJFL
l think the sploosh might be the most underrated weapon in the game. Now don't get me wrong, l'm not denying it has some serious flaws and it's far from being the best, but there's just no way it's the worst weapon in the game, worthless, impossible to use in ranked etc.

l think the problem is people expect it to be an alternative to the Tentatek or the Gals while you have to approach it as if it was the most mobile roller in the game. Because that's what it is. In the right hands this can be the scariest assassin type weapon IMO. This is a weapon that greatly benefits from movement perks, swim and walk speed up as well as faster jumps and quick respawn, because you want to be constantly on the move, zapping around the battlefield, instantly getting back into your opponents face while they thought they got rid of you for a while.

Look what a japanese S+ sploosh user can do with the weapon and then tell me it's worthless, at times l thought the video was played at twice the normal speed (WARNING: it's probably a bad idea to watch that footage if you suffer from motion sickness):

doritos29

Senior Squid
NNID
5thelement
l think the sploosh might be the most underrated weapon in the game. Now don't get me wrong, l'm not denying it has some serious flaws and it's far from being the best, but there's just no way it's the worst weapon in the game, worthless, impossible to use in ranked etc.

l think the problem is people expect it to be an alternative to the Tentatek or the Gals while you have to approach it as if it was the most mobile roller in the game. Because that's what it is. In the right hands this can be the scariest assassin type weapon IMO. This is a weapon that greatly benefits from movement perks, swim and walk speed up as well as faster jumps and quick respawn, because you want to be constantly on the move, zapping around the battlefield, instantly getting back into your opponents face while they thought they got rid of you for a while.

Look what a japanese S+ sploosh user can do with the weapon and then tell me it's worthless, at times l thought the video was played at twice the normal speed (WARNING: it's probably a bad idea to watch that footage if you suffer from motion sickness):

Dude that's amazing. I might actually start using the sploosh more often

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral

Welp. I am too slow.

ChiePet

Pro Squid
NNID
ChiePet
Yooo; been doing this since i saw the video and it works so well. I just wish my Amiibo hairpin's loadout would roll to 2x Run somehow.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I tried it as well, but with some quick respawn stuff. Wow, it was fun and effective. Good kit for Rainmaker too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom