• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Sploosh-o-matic: Analysis and Thoughts

JFL

Senior Squid
NNID
AldricJFL
Yeah, there's another S+ japanese player who runs two quick respawn mains and one comeback. His style is less frantic and more typically assassin-like (very patient, methodological and stealthy) but the idea is the same, being a constant threatening presence on the map.

sunmarsh

Inkling
As someone who is always switching their weapon/gear around (I get bored maining just one thing) I tried this on a whim the other day- and while I was initially frustrated at its lack of range, I started to think about what it did well and how to enhance it and had some of the most fun I have had playing Splatoon with this weapon!

A lot of it had to do with the level (Blackbelly Skatepark is so incredibly fun with this!), but this weapon's weakness is also its greatest strength. Because it has such a short range and high fire rate it's perfect for quickly inking paths ahead of you... like when you're inking through enemy territory. You zip around so fast because you don't have to worry about how long you're spraying or where... you just tap and go. And of course you have ink for days due to its great ink efficiency.

I find that a lot of my kills are almost accidental. I'll run into someone hiding in ink and splat them without even meaning to. Oftentimes I'll often swim PAST them, leaving them in my own ink, with them shooting in the wrong direction... and I turn around and splat 'em. Run speed up is perfect for this so that you can move more quickly as you're firing and avoid their shots as you shoot them.

A lot of people here are complaining that this gets out-ranged... yes, but you can cover enemy ink so quickly that with the right gear you can easily get in close to get the kill. I've used 1 Def, 1 Run Speed and 1 Ink Resistance, but Def and double Run Speed mains were a fave. I haven't tried Swim Speed Up, but I've definitely felt like I could have used it on a few occasions. Thing is, swimming AWAY from someone quickly isn't always your best bet with this weapon. Oftentimes you can let them chase you, and then (just like a roller) turn around and splat them when you know they're right behind you. However it would be nice to have if your main goal is breaching enemy territory and setting up beacons.

JFL

Senior Squid
NNID
AldricJFL
A lot of it had to do with the level (Blackbelly Skatepark is so incredibly fun with this!)
From my personal experience this is definitely a dominant weapon on Blackbelly Skatepark Splatzones. It claims the zones in an instant and the map itself is perfect for beakons based infiltration shenanigans.

Pitero

Inkling
Thank you @JFL for posting this video. I've never ever considered playing Sploosh before, but after seeing it I just had to try it. And it was awesome! Screw people who say this weapon sucks cause of range - I loved how easy and fun it was to flank the other team, the movement is brilliant. Also, the fire rate is so fast that with precise aiming you can easily take down enemies before they activate their Krakens/Bubblers. It's a really great assassin weapon.

Run Speed Up and Swim Speed Up are gods here and provide fast and reliable flanks, but I sometimes switched to Cold Blooded since Echolocator just kills this weapon. I didn't even feel the lack of Ink Resistance due to really good fire rate, as mentioned before.

Thanks! :)

Phobos

Inkling Commander
Hmmm... so after looking through this thread I also gave the Sploosh a try this morning. I use the Neo Splash more or less exclusively, and have optimised my gear for moving really fast, so figured the the Sploosh wouldn't be too much of a change. The comparison is interesting - as others have said, the Sploosh has great mobility. My impression is that, in comparison to the Splash, it's potentially slower across longer, straighter distances, but with noticeably improved manoeuvrability - this is because while the Splash shoots a longer, more narrow trail (meaning the intervals between trails are longer), the trail for the Sploosh is shorter, but much wider. In terms of offensive power, it's really a trade off between the Splash's better range/accuracy, but slow ttk, and the Sploosh's worse range/accuracy, but crazy quick ttk. I'm not of view that either is inherently superior on this front - it will be down to how well the player is able to work within the different limitations. The only let down for me are the sub/special. I did enjoy playing around with beacons, but really missed having bombs for dealing with people outside my range, and the killer wail can't really match the versatility and offensive power of the Zooka (at least not in my hands). Still, I'll probably play with it some more - the ttk is addictive!

Noise Tank

Full Squid
Look what a japanese S+ sploosh user can do with the weapon and then tell me it's worthless, at times l thought the video was played at twice the normal speed (WARNING: it's probably a bad idea to watch that footage if you suffer from motion sickness):
what's wrong with this guy not getting on the tower to at least stop it from moving backwards smh

RascalTC

Inkling
If anyone's looking for more Japanese Sploosh gameplay, a Redditor has been cataloguing Japanese tournament videos (I would credit them, but I don't want to give their name for privacy reasons. You know who you are anyway, big thank you dude!). There's some videos from a tournament by the name of SyCup1 from the POV of a player who can be seen using the Octobrush, Sploosh and AeroMG. The mode played in all of these videos is Splatzones. Here's the videos where they pick Sploosh (timestamps included):

Timestamped at Game 2, Saltspray Rig. Previous game was on Blackbelly Skatepark, where they used Octobrush.

Uses Sploosh in Game 1, Arowana Mall. Switches to AeroMG for Game 2, Kelp Dome.

Uses Sploosh in Game 1, Saltspray Rig. Switches to AeroMG for Game 2, Walleye Warehouse.

Timestamped at Game 2, Flounder Heights. Previous game was on Urchin Underpass, where they used Octobrush.

Last edited:

Jeffrizzel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeffrizzel
I had pretty good success using stealth jump with recon on my sploosh. Quick Jump and Quick Respawn as well. My shoes have 3x walk speed up. I'll try adding more swim up too, but the swim speed gets hard for me to manage when it's too fast.

Jeffrizzel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeffrizzel
l think the sploosh might be the most underrated weapon in the game. Now don't get me wrong, l'm not denying it has some serious flaws and it's far from being the best, but there's just no way it's the worst weapon in the game, worthless, impossible to use in ranked etc.

l think the problem is people expect it to be an alternative to the Tentatek or the Gals while you have to approach it as if it was the most mobile roller in the game. Because that's what it is. In the right hands this can be the scariest assassin type weapon IMO. This is a weapon that greatly benefits from movement perks, swim and walk speed up as well as faster jumps and quick respawn, because you want to be constantly on the move, zapping around the battlefield, instantly getting back into your opponents face while they thought they got rid of you for a while.

Look what a japanese S+ sploosh user can do with the weapon and then tell me it's worthless, at times l thought the video was played at twice the normal speed (WARNING: it's probably a bad idea to watch that footage if you suffer from motion sickness):

I'm actually not that impressed by this guy's play. I've had a lot better games with the sploosh. I had a really fun game where I kept taking out the snipers on that map by spawning on my beacon behind them. It's really an underrated weapon. I'm not sure you need all that swim speed up, but I will try adding more to see how it works out. I'll probably stick with my stealth jump tho.

NNID
m0nkeyd0g
Unlike most people on this thread, I actually love this weapon (for turf wars). For obvious reasons, it is very ineffective in tower control and rainmaker, probably splat zones too.

But the coverage it gets, despite its incredibly short range, is something to be marveled at. That's why I like it so much for turf wars. And what it lacks in range it more than makes up for in damage and rapid fire. Enemies don't stand a chance against this weapon in close range.

As far as it's subs go, using the killer wail effectively can help you ambush enemies. And of course, beakons are extremely useful if placed well.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Unlike most people on this thread, I actually love this weapon (for turf wars). For obvious reasons, it is very ineffective in tower control and rainmaker, probably splat zones too.

But the coverage it gets, despite its incredibly short range, is something to be marveled at. That's why I like it so much for turf wars. And what it lacks in range it more than makes up for in damage and rapid fire. Enemies don't stand a chance against this weapon in close range.

As far as it's subs go, using the killer wail effectively can help you ambush enemies. And of course, beakons are extremely useful if placed well.
It may not be great for making an early push or warding off snipers in good positions on it's own, but it's second to none at securing alternate routes with, as you said, great coverage and beacons. And by doing this you can charge up your wail very quickly, which helps to offset the aforementioned weakness at playing the objective.

It can be a great help in ranked modes if you know what you're doing.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101

I feel like most people in this thread like this weapon. I do think it can be good for solo queue as well. You are fast and cover turf like no one else. Master the jump attack, almost as if you are a roller, and it is effective just about anywhere. I do think it is more map dependent than other weapons though (for instance, Moray Towers and Bluefin Depot are a struggle).

Yesterday, when everyone and their brother were playing the Neo Luna and H-3D I thought I'd go long range to counter, but I was having trouble making it work. For a variety of reasons I couldn't keep the blasters at my effective range and the H-3D also has long range. So, I figured, if they kept closing in on me I'd just play a short range weapon, and I switched to the sploosh.

Here is the gear I use for the sploosh:
:head_eye000:| :ability_quickrespawn:, :ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_specialsaver:
:clothes_tes017:| :ability_swimspeed:, :ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_inksavermain:
:shoes_sdl001:| :ability_quickrespawn:, :ability_swimspeed::ability_specialcharge::ability_quickrespawn:
Not perfect gear, but every ability is useful for this build. I did pretty well with this for awhile before switching back to the splattershot pro because I was feeling a bit less frenetic.

One thing I've seen used before but I haven't tried yet is putting down a beacon during a firefight. The beacon absorbs the hits while you shoot through it. I had it used against me by one player and it seemed like a decent "oh crap" button when you couldn't flee and couldn't ambush. Has anyone done this?

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
Just tried this weapon again today: Man can this weapon kill at close range. I Splatted someone who attempted to respawn flank and its pretty fast at taking care of anyone you encounter so as long as you aim their way when you arrive. I haven't had enough time with it, but will certainly try it out more when I can.

Edit: Starting to get the hang of this weapon. it took a while to get a feel on when to place beacons, which firefights I can be in, etc. , but its finally starting to click. Now if I can only get myself some faster gear...

Last edited:

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
One thing I've seen used before but I haven't tried yet is putting down a beacon during a firefight. The beacon absorbs the hits while you shoot through it. I had it used against me by one player and it seemed like a decent "oh crap" button when you couldn't flee and couldn't ambush. Has anyone done this?
Considering it requires a nearly full tank and pretty much completely drains it you could easily find yourself boned if your escape route is cut off. Maybe with ink recovery but I doubt it will be used much.

ChiePet

Pro Squid
NNID
ChiePet
Sploosh's 3-hit splat >>>> Aerospray's 5-hit splat.

I love the sploosh because it's as strong as the tentatek and splattershotpro (all kill in 3x) yet is still a high fire rate gun and isn't as common as the other ones.

#splooshrevoloosh

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom