Spyke Appreciation Thread.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
It's interesting how Nintendo was able to make a game featuring a street addict you can contract to "acquire" things you see other people in the street wearing, and feed his addiction, or go into bankruptcy to compulsively gamble in a rigged game, in the back of an alleyway....and still get an E rating! That's content I think would have been cut for edginess from Borderlands.

I do appreciate how he's never once found the item I've asked him to "acquire" though. Maybe he's an honest crook?
Well, it's still Nintendo. Spyke is very well-mannered and polite for a street thug. And it's amazing what you can include when you gloss over the gritty details, i.e. the Binding of Isaac.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Well, it's still Nintendo. Spyke is very well-mannered and polite for a street thug. And it's amazing what you can include when you gloss over the gritty details, i.e. the Binding of Isaac.
Very true. Of course Spyke is polite. You're the client of his "legitimate business establishment." :D Though they show the poor terrified snails shivering, awaiting their...err...consumption piled up next to him (as you willingly hand him more.) :scared:

ESRB "E" For Everyone (Includes compulsive gambling, soylent seafood, and black market trading.)

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
The game is more accurately rated E 10+.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
As much as he gouges your cash, it is better to have a rigged roll system than permanently being stuck with whatever crappy abilities you roll the first time.

Weegee

Inkling
NNID
SmashWeegee
Well, I think he is the most unique character in the whole Inkopolis-Plaza.
And after watching this I can't resist his awesomeness.

stitchedwithlove

Full Squid
NNID
stitchedwithlove
Spyke is definitely top tier character-wise. Yeah, he rips off a lot of squids, but heck, he's so lovable and charming that it's impossible to stay mad at him. I actually really admire his design too. I would've never have thought to turn a black, spiky ball into a ****ney street vendor.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
IT'S NOT IN THE UK VERSION DAMMIT!
Anyways, I don't get why it was cut, we get a ton of people saying "wot" not "what".
It wasn't "cut". NoE is very "by the book" and runs their translations as more or less straight translations of the Japanese version. You could call it pure localization, but technically it's the opposite of localization, it's just translation without adjusting for required cultural/phrasing changes to make a joke work in the region the way it would in Japan. Most of the reason for that is with SO MANY cultures/langauages to deal with in EU territory + ME, it would be impossible to have one unit properly localize for all that.

NoA on the other hand has Treehouse that completely localizes things including adapting dialogue to Western humor, memes, and phrasings more. In some cases like Mario & Luigi they write their own entire script separate from the Japanese original. The downside of this is because they do a lot more retooling in the game, they have time to localize less games, thus why you guys get some games there we don't get here. And the reason Xenoblade is a thing and has all UK actors :)

Can't please everyone though. Plenty here gripe that NoA mucks with the wording and adds to much pop humor and prefers NoE's straight Japanese translations. And in Splatoon, it's hard to fault that with "C'Mon", "Booyah", and "Make it Rain!" that cause all kinds of incorrect usage in battle!

Raiden

Inkling
NNID
Raidus
the german "localisation" is a joke...I've set everthing to english about 2 years ago because I couldn't take it any longer.

Btt: Spyke is a snail junky.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Twice the guy's given me a perfect sub reroll. That's all fine & dandy... if he can ever find the exact Squid Tunic that the JP tryhards use, he'll become a full Homie in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom