Squad/Clan War Organization and Standards?

How many matches should end up being played in wars?

• 1 Match

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Out of 3

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Out of 5

Votes: 46 63.0%
  • Out of 7

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • More than 7

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other method

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

Setu

So after some debate in the SND chat, we decided that there will have to be some way to go about clan wars once we get the update in August, and there are many possibilities. These are the main factors that should be considered:
  • How should clan wars be found/organized? Possible Skype war arrangements chat? Subsection of Clan section of the forums? Shoutbox chat rooms? Other possibilities?
  • Should/will there be a standard mode that will be played competitively?(Turf War, Splat Zone, Tower Control, Rainmaker, etc)
  • How many matches would be the standard for wars?(1 match, out of 3, out of 5, etc)
Opinions?

I would personally say that a skype chat would work best(for me at least) and for clans organized on skype. I'm completely clueless about what mode should be ended up being played competitively, so I'd say there shouldn't be just one mode. And the majority of people in SND, if not all ended up deciding that out of 5 would work out the best.

zmop

Inkling Cadet
NNID
zorgmop
the two teams can agree before hand what mode(s) to play

best of 5 is ideal considering how short matches are.

i don't like using skype personally, have a mumble server big enough for 2 teams to use, that way we can talk after the match but it's the same as skype really and is just as widely available to pc users, android devices and phones, macs, and iphones & ipads.

Kairo

Pro Squid
NNID
smartmadboy
A Skype chat or a thread specifically for finding matches.

Splat Zones seems to be the most competitive for now.

Out of 5 or 7. Each round is relatively short anyways.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Each round is 3 minutes long.

There is (roughly) 60-90 seconds of downtime between each match.

It should be First to 5. If it goes to game 10 the match would be roughly 48-55 minutes long. Seems the like perfect match length to me IMO.

RocketClauncher

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
RocketClauncher
I really think best of three will be easiest. Best of 5 would be good, but we're talking about 8 people having to play consistently for possibly an hour. It'll be hard to organize a time for clan matches where all member can play for a specific length of time.. So bo3 seems safest. I also really like turf wars but would love to do splat zones too. As for tower defense or rainmaker, I guess we'll have to wait and see. Since we all have practiced with Turf War now, we can comfortably say that it will be standard for clan matches.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
I really think best of three will be easiest. Best of 5 would be good, but we're talking about 8 people having to play consistently for possibly an hour. It'll be hard to organize a time for clan matches where all member can play for a specific length of time.. So bo3 seems safest. I also really like turf wars but would love to do splat zones too. As for tower defense or rainmaker, I guess we'll have to wait and see. Since we all have practiced with Turf War now, we can comfortably say that it will be standard for clan matches.
considering that a 150cc 3gp mk8 match is usually around 45 mins and it's rare for people to have trouble finding that kind of time, ft5 is reasonable.

Lefty

Nice la~
I want to say BO7 because of what Agosta44 said, a lot of comeptitive games(not including fighting games) generally go longer than half hour. For Dota and League, a single game is at least half an hour, and they have to play a BO3, so around 2 hours for a single BO3, yet the players are able to stay composed. So less than an hour for a BO7 doesnt seem that bad at all.

RocketClauncher

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
RocketClauncher
considering that a 150cc 3gp mk8 match is usually around 45 mins and it's rare for people to have trouble finding that kind of time, ft5 is reasonable.
yeah, if it's easy to coordinate and manage best of 5, I'd much rather have that. MK8 is not team orientated though. We have to consider setting up communication calls, frequently changing weapons, banning maps, covering strategies, etc. The overall time will go alot longer than just the matches themselves.

RoyLee

Inkling Commander
NNID
InfernoUprising
yeah, if it's easy to coordinate and manage best of 5, I'd much rather have that. MK8 is not team orientated though. We have to consider setting up communication calls, frequently changing weapons, banning maps, covering strategies, etc. The overall time will go alot longer than just the matches themselves.
Shots fired at the Mario Kart community...

If you don't think there are strategies... Well I'll just leave this here...

http://www.mkboards.com/forums/forums/competitive-discussion.141/

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
We do not yet know how weapon switching works so it's too early to discuss that. Everything else is under 5 minutes. Played competitive Mario Kart online for 7 years (clan wars, 10 years total) and I can tell you this will be much easier to organize than what we had to play with.

Last edited:

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish

Even being a part of the Mario Kart community, i can pretty much agree with what was said. Items play such a large part in the game that the accidental use of an item on a teammate is bound to happen, resulting in a change of pace during the match. We do use calls in our matches, but actual team coordination can be difficult.

Crazykonga

Inkling
NNID
Crazykonga
BO5 should be great, a round is pretty quick (5 mins limit) and I don't think you'll spend a lot of time between rounds. So yeah, it would last around 30 mins, which is nice.

Last edited:

thefro

Full Squid
Best of 5 sounds good to me, although if there's some longer lasting-modes or we get the option to change the time limits we might want to go Best of 3 for some things.

I would guess Tower Control will have more than a 5 minute time limit, but we'll see.

A match shouldn't last more than a half hour, except for maybe finals of a tourney/league.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
There's nothing wrong with a match lasting 45 min to an hour. Considering it's a new IP and you won't be able to organize matches until 2-3 months after release there will already be a small userbase. You'll spend more time looking for a 4vs4 than playing one.

RocketClauncher

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
RocketClauncher

Even being a part of the Mario Kart community, i can pretty much agree with what was said. Items play such a large part in the game that the accidental use of an item on a teammate is bound to happen, resulting in a change of pace during the match. We do use calls in our matches, but actual team coordination can be difficult.
Don't jump the gun. I NEVER said MK wasn't competitive lol. I said that Mario Kart isn't as team based. Just because I said that Splatoon will be strategic doesn't mean I was implying Mario Kart isn't.

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
Don't jump the gun. I NEVER said MK wasn't competitive lol. I said that Mario Kart isn't as team based. Just because I said that Splatoon will be strategic doesn't mean I was implying Mario Kart isn't.
Dont worry i know what you meant :p I was just saying its difficult to play mario kart 8 with so many items to go around in the competitive scene

toadster101

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0022-0027-5937
Best out of five sounds reasonable to me. Anything less than that is too short, assuming all matches will be three minutes long.

You wouldn't be wrong.

Reactions: flc

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
Out of 5 for one off Squad Wars, for sure. But in a tournament scenario I feel like out of 3 with an out of 7 final would be good for timing.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
how team oriented mk8 is as a game isn't relevant; the community plays it 6v6, matches are 45 mins, and it works. that's all that really matters. people manage just fine to do everything you mention there using a combination of skype and mkboards.

of course, on the other hand, we also have clans with like 15+ active members who can easily throw together a lineup of 6, but I can see the same thing happening in this game too with how certain teams are shaping up.

I'm personally running 5 per squad with my team, but I know we're going to be in the minority there

the other factor for determining how long matches should be is how much variety there is in map and mode selection. if we have really narrow selections, even if bo7 or bo9 is ideal for tourney play, bo5 might be the only way to have any kind of stage ban/pick or whatever

Whisp3r

Inkster Jr.
I think fighting games and smash are sort of an outlier in eSports in that they don't take long to finish a match. If you look at team based shooters most matches last over an hour, for example most CS:GO matches are best of 3 and each map generally lasts about an hour so most tournament matches last around three hours. Of course major CS tournaments usually don't have a huge amount of teams because of qualifiers and the like. I think a best of 7 or 5 would be best for this game as it's long enough to develop strategy and differentiate between teams but it's short enough that we can have large tournaments without lasting for ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom