• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

squidboards is already losing activity…

guster-animations

Pro Squid
Pronouns
they/them
i’ve noticed that squidboard posts have been steadily slowing down and it sucks. i knew that other social media platforms are more addictive and that’s why people stopped using this site in the first place, but that doesn’t make it any less depressing lol
most of my friends made an account on tuesday, made an intro post, and have barely used the website since then
we need a reason for people to come to squidboards-- like easily accessible guides and discussions. we KNOW it’s a better platform than twitter, but we need longetivity
or alternatively people said all they wanted to say on tuesday and i’m just a doomer idk

Alphine_Agnitio

Trans Bird Trans Bird 🏳‍⚧️
Premium
Switch Friend Code
SW-5178-8280-0912
its to be expected, tbh.

Easiest way to keep the numbers steady would be to just share posts around in discord servers and the like; interweave this forum with the general workings of the community(I know I've been tossing posts to some of my splatoon friends in the hopes they'll take a peek)

Cephalobro

I think the whole thing with social media is true. Someone who has established followers/subscribers is unlikely to want to start over on another platform while abandoning the previous one. Unfortunately, hesitation ultimately wins in the end.

Heck, that's the reason why YouTube kept its dominance despite the awful changes they keep doing, most, if not all YouTubers aren't willing to start over on another platform because they have established themselves on YouTube. This also extends to the subscribers themselves to some extent, it's really an inconvenient truth.

kenta_ink

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-8341-6131-5056
its to be expected, tbh.

Easiest way to keep the numbers steady would be to just share posts around in discord servers and the like; interweave this forum with the general workings of the community(I know I've been tossing posts to some of my splatoon friends in the hopes they'll take a peek)
To add to this, activity in more social forms like this one will keep people a lot longer too.

Cephalobro

There's still plenty of activity. The sky is not falling just because its very highest peak didn't last forever, settle down.
That's also true, there could be other things in people's lives that simply need attention first and foremost, like family, jobs, or even college, so they might not have as much free time to log in.

guster-animations

Pro Squid
Pronouns
they/them
its to be expected, tbh.

i’ve been doing that and one of my friends said, and i quote, “gus why are u on boards so much” lmao

Alphine_Agnitio

Premium
Switch Friend Code
SW-5178-8280-0912
i’ve been doing that and one of my friends said, and i quote, “gus why are u on boards so much” lmao
Lol, I grew up on Xenforo boards so I feel right at home here

I was born just old enough that I wasn't a ipad kid but not old enough to miss out on the early era of gamefaqs/xenforo/general community boards and wikis being everywhere lol

nday

Inkling
was just thinking on this. I used to be big active on Smashboards and back then, you could see the trickle over to xat and skype at first, then discord across the game releases - smashboards even had a native chat on the site at one point! Chatting outside of the forum had always been a thing but discords is when it became a problem. my suggestions would be:
  • Host guides and highlight discussions (held elsewhere originally too) on Squidboards
  • Answer discussions and threads with your thoughts on subjects, your input is valuable
  • Don't aim to use the site to replace existing services, but use it to compliment and preserve collective knowledge and discussion
  • If it doesn't work, it's okay
The intention with Squidboards shouldn't be as a replacement imo. But it should be a resource for guides ESPECIALLY and learning the game modes whether you're more interested in comp or SR, whatever. Its fine if the answer to that is that an established other site or community is the premier place to get experience or learn, so long as information isn't gatekept and you're opening discussion up. And if it doesn't work, that's fine. For S3 this is happening over a year from its release!

Alphine_Agnitio

Premium
Switch Friend Code
SW-5178-8280-0912
was just thinking on this. I used to be big active on Smashboards and back then, you could see the trickle over to xat and skype at first, then discord across the game releases - smashboards even had a native chat on the site at one point! Chatting outside of the forum had always been a thing but discords is when it became a problem. my suggestions would be:
  • Host guides and highlight discussions (held elsewhere originally too) on Squidboards
  • Answer discussions and threads with your thoughts on subjects, your input is valuable
  • Don't aim to use the site to replace existing services, but use it to compliment and preserve collective knowledge and discussion
  • If it doesn't work, it's okay
The intention with Squidboards shouldn't be as a replacement imo. But it should be a resource for guides ESPECIALLY and learning the game modes whether you're more interested in comp or SR, whatever. Its fine if the answer to that is that an established other site or community is the premier place to get experience or learn, so long as information isn't gatekept and you're opening discussion up. And if it doesn't work, that's fine. For S3 this is happening over a year from its release!
The way I look at it this forum + discord + twitter is going to be best used as seperate parts of one whole, not a one size fits all solution

Twitter is great for getting big news out to a large audience, even those outside the dedicated community.... but actually interacting with people on twitter is difficult and generally not worth the time.

This forum is great as a venue to host deeper discussions, post more niche news/community projects that people on twitter/discord might not get/take the wrong way(both This thread made by Brush Strokes and This thread made by Popgun are perfect examples of what I mean) but its not as efficent to communicate info quickly which is a must for TO's and staff needing to inform players of delays/seeding/round starts/ends/etc

on that note, Battefy is a great resource for making the tournament experience fluid and painless, and its another part of that whole I don't see many people bring up, since it removes a lot of the tedium involved in registering your team up for events and getting people in lobbies and the like, something that would be 10x more difficult if it needed to be done by hand, wheter on twitter/forum/or discord. Sendouq as well.

And Discord is 100% here to stay, VCIng is just too important to give up and being able to send and process messages almost instantly is a big draw. We'll just see how this forum shapes up in the long run but having been active here since Squid School made his short a few days ago, I've seen lots of positive things and I think if people look at it not as a replacement to Twitter but as a supplement to it, as a community we might be able to make it work.

Another big positive is with a lot more space dedicated to individual profiles on a forum like this, its much easier to remember faces and learn big community names, something that is pretty hard for me to do on dedicated social media platforms.

Shayreep

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-1285-8726-3991
It could be that the modern world we live in is just too fast paced for forums, idk, i know what keeps twitter active is the constant stream of new information and everyone is used to that instant dopamine effect. You guys would have to find a way to keep things interesting to compete

reelrollsweat

Semi-Pro Squid
pretty much what everyone else has said lol, forums are a completely different experience than the fast-moving environment of twitter so it makes sense that not everyone from there would want to stay here long-term. even if its not as active as splatoon twitter/discord, i would like if squidboards was a place for more easily accessible constructive discussion that would otherwise get derailed/buried on twitter or discord servers

DoubleDrewski

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5697-8390-4502
pretty much what everyone else has said lol, forums are a completely different experience than the fast-moving environment of twitter so it makes sense that not everyone from there would want to stay here long-term. even if its not as active as splatoon twitter/discord, i would like if squidboards was a place for more easily accessible constructive discussion that would otherwise get derailed/buried on twitter or discord servers
I feel like forums are in a feedback loop with their own popularity. Like, if somebody makes a twitter post and it gets no interaction, whatever, but a boards post that goes flat is really disappointing.

If you ask me? Expand the platform with cheap “best of squidboards” content on TikTok or yt shorts. Even if the interest it drums up is minimal, perhaps it could at least make the place a more established part of the community. Like, I didn’t know this place existed until LUTI made an announcement about it a few days ago.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
As much as I want Twitter to die, killing Twitter is not really SquidBoards' job (it's Fediverse's, get on Fedi y'all). Squidboards just needs to play to its own strengths and do what Twitter can't - long-form discussion that's easily searchable. Consider what we can do on this platform that doesn't work on other platforms.

DoubleDrewski

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5697-8390-4502
As much as I want Twitter to die, killing Twitter is not really SquidBoards' job (it's Fediverse's, get on Fedi y'all). Squidboards just needs to play to its own strengths and do what Twitter can't - long-form discussion that's easily searchable. Consider what we can do on this platform that doesn't work on other platforms.
Also, Fediverse’s Twitter alternative is mastodon, right? I swear every time I look at that platform it is endless politics, which feels like you’re replacing Twitter with more Twitter.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Also, Fediverse’s Twitter alternative is mastodon, right? I swear every time I look at that platform it is endless politics, which feels like you’re replacing Twitter with more Twitter.
Mastodon is technically just one of many server backend software, which is why it's not accurate to call the whole network that. The instance I'm on runs Pleroma, and splatsville.social runs Firefish.

Anyway, I dunno where you're looking, but that's not what my feed looks like. It's just a matter of who you follow, there's no algorithm shoving engagement bait in your face.

guster-animations

Pro Squid
Pronouns
they/them
the only time ive used mastodon is for a casual jp splatoon server called ikatodon (it’s very nice)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom