• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Squidboards Ranking System Proposal

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
I understand the need to have over 4 players for these "squads" since playing regularly would be difficult with only 4 people since ALL 4 would always need to be online whenever anyone felt like playing. But as for tournaments (both online and irl) i don't think teams should be allowed more than 4 players
I think this will be the case for most typical tourneys, but I could see the longer running online tourneys that sometimes take a month at a time allowing closer to 8 to allow substitutions if something came up so that a ton of teams aren't dropping out.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
We definitely hear everybody's requests for 8 person teams. However, we wanted to fully explain why we chose 7 person teams. There were four particular reason we went with seven:
1. Other competitive shooters that we looked at had limits that allowed teams to have enough players to have not quite enough players for two whole teams
2. We wanted teams to look to other teams for scrims/practice, rather than just stay inside their own team. We want people to interact with each other.
3. We wanted to make sure there was consistency within a team. With more than 7 members, you could play a team that you played yesterday but it would be completely different.
4. We wanted to encourage more teams to form. With a more restrictive number, more teams would be formed, and thus the system would be more populated. We don't know how many teams the system will have, so we want to have as many as possible.

We are willing to change this, as you guys have overwhelmingly showed us that you want more people on a team, but we wanted to fully explain ourselves before we do so

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
We definitely hear everybody's requests for 8 person teams. However, we wanted to fully explain why we chose 7 person teams. There were four particular reason we went with seven:
1. Other competitive shooters that we looked at had limits that allowed teams to have enough players to have not quite enough players for two whole teams
2. We wanted teams to look to other teams for scrims/practice, rather than just stay inside their own team. We want people to interact with each other.
3. We wanted to make sure there was consistency within a team. With more than 7 members, you could play a team that you played yesterday but it would be completely different.
4. We wanted to encourage more teams to form. With a more restrictive number, more teams would be formed, and thus the system would be more populated. We don't know how many teams the system will have, so we want to have as many as possible.

We are willing to change this, as you guys have overwhelmingly showed us that you want more people on a team, but we wanted to fully explain ourselves before we do so
Those are all valid points and was exactly what i was thinking. At this point in time for splatoon, a smaller number is quite frankly better than a larger one.

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
I understand wanting team to scrim with other teams but sometimes it's just way faster and easier to get together a group of 8 relatively to extremely close friends over something like skype for a quick practice session than have to try to coordinate between two full teams, probably through a much slower messaging medium like the forums. There's also the great ability to get a feel for how your own team plays by playing against them, on the same side you might miss how often they leave their sides open or how easy it is to sneak up on them.

I guess you could get around it by having a go to extra friend who helps with scrims, but that kind of defeats the whole building team work aspect since they're getting a feel for someone they're never going to actually play with.

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
I think having a player limit of 7 is a good idea. Aweshucks exlpained it really well above. People can still have regular scrims against friends and such even if they are not in the same team. The player limit is there to have consistency between teams and to make it work better with the ranking system.

One thing I'd like to as is are players allowed to be substitute players in another team? Let's say that Im part of the main roster in team A. Could I still be a sub in team B for "what if" situations?

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Well we still definitely love everyone's input on how they view our reasoning, which Aweshucks provided.

One thing I'd like to as is are players allowed to be substitute players in another team? Let's say that Im part of the main roster in team A. Could I still be a sub in team B for "what if" situations?
That's a tough one. I personally wanted something similar but that was why we had people have the ability to change teams every 2 weeks. If we were to allow someone from team A be able to sub for team C, people would take advantage of this and just have their person from team A always be subbing into team C's matches (so it's basically allowing one player to play for 2 teams). This is also why we have teams that can be a max size of 7 (or possibly 8) so that they wouldn't have those "what if" situations.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
I had another idea concerning the tier names two days ago. It's hard to define which in-game object (be it a weapon or w/e) is higher and lower, that's true, so how about naming the tiers after maritime lifeforms? Shark, Squid, eel, shrimp, whatever comes to mind. That way we could stay close to the game's setting and it's easy to determine which one is "stronger"/"bigger" than another one.

Might be too fishy (hah) for some people, but I like the idea :)

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
I had another idea concerning the tier names two days ago. It's hard to define which in-game object (be it a weapon or w/e) is higher and lower, that's true, so how about naming the tiers after maritime lifeforms? Shark, Squid, eel, shrimp, whatever comes to mind. That way we could stay close to the game's setting and it's easy to determine which one is "stronger"/"bigger" than another one.

Might be too fishy (hah) for some people, but I like the idea :)
Ooh I like that idea, maybe Krill -> Shrimp -> Sardine -> Squid -> Shark -> Killer Whale if you want to keep 6 ranks? Tho I might drop it down to Shrimp -> Sardine -> Squid -> Shark to start since we were talking about too many tiers existing.

Maybe Grand Zapfish for the highest rank? Or if you want to do a 'defend the title' type thing, it's a rank that belongs to a single team and whoever beats them gets it.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Zapfish
Hammerhead
Kraken
Whale
Squid / Sepia (zool. for squid if you don't want to use the all-known term squid)
Dolphin
Shrimp
Plankton

Those came to my mind right now. They are already too many, so we should be able to determine a nice set of fresh-sounding lifeforms if we decide to use names like that^^

World SquidBoards Champion(ship) sounds nice, too, WSC in short.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
I just was in the mood to create a few banners for the tiers/leagues. Banners are always a good thing :) I think they turned out really well considering I am VERY rusty in Photoshop and didn't design stuff for years. Tell me what you think about it.

Attachments

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
I just found a svg file with the original Splatoon ink splashes.
http://www.pidgi.net/wiki/images/2/2d/Ink_-_Splatoon.svg

I could rework the banners with them (and make them look a little cleaner, too), if the staff decides to use them officially.
Oh shoot, I'm so sorry. We were discussing quite a few things and forgot to bring up your banners. They do look amazing, we actually have an artist doing the tiers but perhaps we can figure out a place for the banners. But I would have to talk to the group. Thank you for taking your time to make these.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
Yeah, we do have someone making stuff for us already, but having more options is never a bad thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom