• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Squidboards Ranking System Proposal

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
Can there be different indivual ladder game modes? I am not going to be happy if I get stuck playing different modes, when that isn't even a thing in any other competitive games I know of.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
No. This is a system designed to rank teams on their overall skill of the game, which includes multiple gamemodes. Also, the community is not that big and we cannot afford to split the playerbase. Of course, if both teams agree to play only on one mode then that's fine.

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
TF2 and Halo are two well known competitive shooters that use multiple modes, CS:GO used to in its early days as well. Honestly the only games that don't use multiple competitive modes are the ones that don't HAVE multiple competitive modes (ie Street Fighter and other similar fighting games, League of Legends, etc).

I also agree that it shows a lot greater skill in a team to be able to compete in all modes than just being good at Splat Zones or w/e, and I'm excited to see how this turns out.

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
In other competitive games like that there are still ladders exclusive to single modes... It simply is not logical to deprive people of that sense of choice. Then again this is your decision. Thanks for doing this in the first place.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
That's really not a possibility at this point in time. The playerbase is not large enough to support that, nor are we able to handle four separate ladders. It's not perfect, but it's the best that we can do right now. I hope you understand

superman

Senior Squid
It's sad to see that hosting hasn't even been mentioned. IMO it will have the most impact on the outcome of a game in intercontinental play.
No system that relies on an odd number of games will have people play in fair conditions though, one team will always be favored.

Last edited:

KingCowman

Inkling
NNID
KingCowman
It's sad to see that hosting hasn't even been mentioned. IMO it will have the most impact on the outcome of a game in intercontinental play.
No system that relies on an odd number of games will have people play in fair conditions though, one team will always be favored.
You're right, it should switch every game. This allows us to change weapons as well.

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
You're right, it should switch every game. This allows us to change weapons as well.
I just feel like that would get too tedious and repetitive too quickly. It's not a big deal, I don't think. That's probably something that should be left up to the captains of the squads/teams facing off.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
I imagine that most people won't have a problem and that one team will just offer to host, but we'll have some sort of protocol in case there is a dispute. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what it should be?

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
Let's go back to elementary school. Flip a coin, rock-paper-scissors. I really don't know. I doubt there will be many disputes on the matter.

KingCowman

Inkling
NNID
KingCowman
I imagine that most people won't have a problem and that one team will just offer to host, but we'll have some sort of protocol in case there is a dispute. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what it should be?
There will be disputes, lag makes you mad. On TF2 we had last disputes all the time, and that was even with switching servers between games.

superman

Senior Squid
IMO you should allow for ties and play an even amount of maps, that would probably be the fairest format for a league.

The problem is that we don't know whether the room creator will be hosting or if the host will be randomly drawn.
I don't think there will be many disputes between more casually competitive teams but the better teams will want a protocol in place.

IDK prepare for rule changes as soon as the basic things are figured out I guess.

superman

Senior Squid
That was the plan to begin with. If something in the rules doesn't work, we will change it.
Glad to hear that :)

TOs will learn a lot through this and Ink or Sink, as long as everyone stays open minded it will be a great opportunity for the community - thanks for that!

Hope I find a nice group to play with in the future :)

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
When will this be released exactly?
We want to have everything ready thursday (tomorrow), and it looks like we will indeed be able to open things up by mid afternooon thursday, assuming everything keeps to plan, and we have no reason to believe it won't. Most things are ready at this point, we simply are finishing things up and proofing a few threads.

Edits were typos. I can't think this morning.

Last edited:

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
Yup, we're aiming to release tomorrow. And assuming we don't run into any huge problems along the way, we should be able to make that deadline. Thanks for being patient with us as we prepare everything!

Gunster25

Pro Squid
The player who is hosting can sometimes have less lag if they are causing it for other players, one team having a player with minimal lag, but then the other team all having to suffer the lag can be seen as a disadvantage.

This is a suggestion to solve this issue:
  1. Before the first game one team is randomly selected to host.
  2. For the second game, the team which lost the first match host.
  3. (If necessary) The losers of the second match host.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom